Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2009, 06:05 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

We have recently purchased a 2009 Kingston KF34TB and it does not sit level when hooked up to the truck. We have lowered the hitch to the lowest point and raised the pin as high as it will go. Our last fifth wheel was lifted 2 inches with blocks between the springs and axles. Has anyone heard of a method of lifting the Crossroads products and if I have the same blocks installedwill it void my warranty?

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
RSCREES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Looks like your truck may have a lift kit, if so that may make it hard to get the trailer level without blocks. Before I did that I would check with Crossroads and Lippert. Another thing you want to keep and eye on is how much clearance you have between the truck bed rails and the trailer overhang. We have 6" and I would not want any less. From your picture it doesn't look that bad, I have seen much worse.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I have 2 extra leafs in the back and 1 in the front. Right now I have 4.5 inches clearance and it is tight sometimes. I seem to notice the weight on the back set of the tandems when pulling, it feels like it is now equally loaded if you know what I mean. I will contact Crossroads, I may try to take it in at the rally. Thanks for the input

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
Old 12-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Sorry I meant to say not equally loaded.

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

What about using the jack plates to raise the camper? You could flip the springs if yours don't have the jack plate. Even taller tires could help.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Are your springs above or below your axle?You can gain some ground there.E-Mail crossroads their responses to my questions have been timely and concise. There is always an answer some one undoubtedly will come up with something and welcome to the forum

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum. Your camper don't look to far our of level. Your do need more box to camper clearance. I would think your axles have already been flipped but you should have extra holes in your spring hanghers. Lippert will find any reason to void warrenty on your frame. They won't go for your Idea but may go for removing frame supports and adding squarestock between frame and hangers.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I had the dealer lower the springs to the bottom holes in the spring hangers and it only gave me a 1/2 inch. The dealer I bought the trailer from has not been any help at all although Crossroads has been great. I do not like the trailer being so close to the box it doesn't leave me much room. If they will not go for the plan I origionally had I will probably have 2 inch square stock welded above the hangers. I have seen alot of comments about Lippert on the forum so I assume they will not be too accomodating but I will see what they say.

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
Old 12-21-2009, 11:47 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

As previously mentioned, it looks like you've got a lift kit on your truck and if that's the case. that is the problem. It's not that your trailer is too low; it's that your truck is too high.It would be better that you lower the truck to it's original height instead of raising the trailer height. I suspect, that what I suggest, is not what you want to hear.

There is only one way to raise the trailer that would be technically correct. If the spring mounts on the trailer have more that one bolt hole, then you can use them. Some trailers have up to three bolt holes on the spring mounts and that way you could raise or lower the trailer axles. To do it any other way, would change the design intent of the trailer axle system and can invite unforseen problems.

2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Without Lipperts okay in writting so it does not void your frame warranty none of these suggestions will do youmuch good.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:52 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

our dealer got a bit of extra height by moving the eqaflex to the lower bolts which raised the trailer a bit. Otherwise, I think you have to lower the truck, that is why we kept the 3500 with the stock tires.

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:33 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I have tried all of the normal ways of lifting the trailer, it is really looking like my only option will be to lower the truck or convince the Boss (wife)to allow me to buy a new truck LOL. My truck also has 285's for tires which are taller than stock. Hopefully Lippert will get back to me with a less costly solution.

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
Old 12-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSCREES
I have ......................... Hopefully Lippert will get back to me with a less costly solution.

Don't count on Lippert to help you out.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Old 12-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

I agree that the problem is the truck not the trailer...do you really need that extra ground clearance?

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

We have a Kingston KF33SK and an F-350. I thought we were going to have leveling problems but it all settled into place. The F-350 box sits unusually high unloaded. I didn't see where you stated what kind of truck you have. If you just might happen to have an F-350, on my last rig (KF30SB) I just replaced the axle blocks with those from an F-250 and all was well.

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Lippert will work with you on raising the trailer but they will state they have to do the work or warranty will be voided. I went through this and they are not cheap.

Raising the spring ends in the outside hangers only will give minimal lift. The springs must also be raised in the center hanger as well. In fact, they state that raising at the ends "only" will affect the alignment on the tires.

Remember to add wet bolt kit while everything is apart.

They will not weld square tubing between the hangers and frame but will lower outside spring ends in existing hangers and weld a new taller hanger in the middle. Then all hangers will be heavily reinforced. Trailer will be lifted 2".

I am now level with 9" clearance on trailer to bed and have added 16" wheels/tires (additional 1" lift) with plenty of wheel well clearance.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpwood007
Lippert will work with you on raising the trailer but they will state they have to do the work or warranty will be voided. I went through this and they are not cheap.........................................

If Lippert did the work for you, it'd be interesting to know how much they hosed you for it.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Old 12-27-2009, 02:27 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

I'd be curious to know what the mileage differences are between the before and after the lift. I would think a 2-3" lift would definately change the MPG while towing and possibly handling characteristics.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

My dealer put the heavy duty schakles on my camper to raise it , the shackles have Vblocks in side welded to help support the shackles. The shackles and the v blocks are welded to the frame. You have a lot more side movement support when making tight turns. This was done under warrenty on my camper. Now that I am out of warrenty I put 1&1/2" solid steel blocks to raise me level.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:46 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamops
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpwood007
Lippert will work with you on raising the trailer but they will state they have to do the work or warranty will be voided. I went through this and they are not cheap.........................................

If Lippert did the work for you, it'd be interesting to know how much they hosed you for it.
Well, let me just say it was a few hundred bucks. I saved some by traveling to their tech. I'm sure the price would be different depending on the specific trailer and situation.

Again, they did a great job but I could have got the same thing done from a local welder for about half the price. You just got to remember Lippert is going to nail you on a possibly expensive warranty issue down the line if you don't use them, so you are paying a couple hundred to keep your wonderful Lippert warranty (what a joke).

I can't tell raising the trailer did anything on decreasing fuel mpg. Being level did make it tow better. Bottom line is I really wanted US made LT tires on it so I had to get it up to put the 16" wheels on.
pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote