Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2014, 06:09 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Kitchen Organization

We bought a new set of Corelle dishes and I stored them in an upper cabinet. The first time out the door opened and they dumped and broke all over the place. Now I bought a set of Melamine dishes. I am trying to organize the cabinets better and I'm concerned about storing anything heavy in the upper cabinets. What suggestions do you have for storage and organization in the kitchen? I know I could be using my space better. We are not full timers so my cabinets are not stuffed full.
bradswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:26 AM   #2
Site Team

We try to pack heavy stuff low and the lighter/paper products, etc, higher.

We also use "scoot guard" on the bottom of everything. That really helps stop things from moving around.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

To keep your cabinets from opening in transit (it has happened to us in the past) is to tie a small bungie cord or something around the door handles of two cabinets. That keeps them both closed. As for stuff moving, it happens. You could blow up some balloons and stuff them in there if you want. They weigh nothing. The problem with stuffing the cabinets full is that when you arrive at your destination, the cabinets are so stuffed you cannot find anything.

There is a product that keeps certain things from falling out of cabinets. It is a rod which is adjustable and has a spring, You put them in the fridge and other places to keep things from falling out when you open the door. Not sure they would work well on dishes because dishes can come out underneath, but bottles and cans stay in place well. Hope this helps.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I have one of these in the corner of my upper cabinet.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/P...od_ID=RP091885

Helps keep things organized and it's bendable, so you can get it nice and level. I also use the no-slip shelf liner (the puffy kind), and that is helpful too. I only have plastic/melamine dishes, so nothing's likely to break even if it does fall. The only glass thing I put in my upper cabinet is the coffee maker, and I bungy that together so it doesn't go flying. Good luck!
Edge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

X2 on the "scoot guard" (I like that Lloyd!), it works for us. We carry our melamine dishes in the cabinet over the stove with no issues, but the door has a gas piston so it can't come open. You can't go wrong with "heavy low & light high".

Paul & Pam
'14 Bay Hill 340RK
'12 Ram 3500
Jazz & Allee
PMSPKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
Site Team

You could use a child proof cabinet lock. I got 4 free from a website that has listings for free samples. When I find the website I will post.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

We also use child locks for the cabinets. I have one that looks like a C for the outside cabinet and it clips on to the two knobs.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Site for free childproof lock set:
https://pgconsumercare.secure.force....S-PGSafetySite

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:39 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thank you all for your help. I think we will check the door first and then figure out how to store the dishes in one of the cabinets on the bottom. I'm wondering if maybe we should get one of those pull out shelves/basket like they sell at Home Depot and Lowes.
bradswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:43 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Some of us use plastic baskets to place smaller items in and put the baskets on the shelf. I store my spices, etc. this way. Keep in mind that when you attach pull out shelves/baskets, they will reduce your storage capacity as they take away room along the edges.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

My wife uses 2 wicker baskets and keeps mugs and cups in one and dishes in the other. It works well for us.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote