Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
New Camper

<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: n&#111;ne; ">I recently bought an'08 CR Seville and love it. The landing gear though has been making some stress sounds as the motor gets close to lifting the rig off my hitch. These stress sounds (a loud squeaky noise) gets worse as the load gets heavier and then mysteriously the sound stops while the motor continues to turn. Well, the other day, I tried to extend the landing gear and the motor just quit. I checked out the in line fuse and it was burnt out. Replaced it with another and the motor turned for about a second and the new fuse burnt. I pulled off the motor and manually cranked up the rig. Initially there was no squeaking sound but as the weight got heavier, it started up again.

My question is does this sound like I have a problem with the gearbox and the motor, just the motor or just the gearbox. I did touch the wires of the motor for a moment with the battery and it did turn.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

You might have a bent landing gear leg. I bent one of mine had had to replace them. I found it cheaper to replace both legs.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

You can remove the motor and gearbox to inspect it and they are fairly reasonable to replace ($) if you shop around online. If I had to guess based on your description, I would guess the gears/shaft inside the leg are damaged and /or corroded. I have never taken my leg apart so someone who has may chime in.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
New Camper

I will pull off the gearbox today and inspect. I will also inspect the landing gear. I think the gear box is shot but that does not explain why the fuses keep going out.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

If the gear box is binding or dragging, it could over load the motor and blow the fuse.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Call Lippert directly. They will help you with debugging and replacement parts. Just leave CrossRoads out of the entire issue.
Edited by: RKamperRV
The bunk bedroom is for Haley!

Crossing the Roads with The Mason-Dixon Bunch
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

We had a similar situation with our Cruiser a few years ago. The gear gox had failed but it was because one of the legs was binding up and causing additional load on the gear box and motor.
The acme threaded rod in one of the legs was binding in the caged nut in the leg. The system we had was discontinue and ended up buying a heavier duty system complete without the motor.
The ratio in the new was different than the failed one. Anyway seems like it was under $300 for the whole thing minus the motor.
Your system could be heavier duty yet being a Seville which is much heavier than our Cruiser.
Find the cause first, then replace the necessary parts.
good luck with it
Dennis

cruzr4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote