Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

After reading several posts - and talking to a local service tech - I got up the nerve and took down most of the underbelly cover and tackled the leaky valve. Although most posts figured that a "loose grub screw" may be the culprit - it was not.There was no way I could get at the end of the valve body in question without removing the wheels. I removed the after one first, and still could not get at the screws. I replaced the after wheel - then removed the front one. I then removed the valve completely - laid it in my lap and said a few choice words over it!! There was no grub screw - the valve body was held together by 4 recessed screws (phillips) with nylock nuts (recessed). I opened the valve up and repositioned the cable into the slot and then replaced the 4 screws - with lots of torque. Replacing the valve into the space between the pipework - while keeping both rubber seals in place also required some ofmymore colourful Naval terminology. Nevertheless, I think I was successful - the only thing left is a full power trial with water - just to make sure the thingworks without leaking.

Lessons learned: This job needs the following:

1) 3/8ths open end wrench - to remove some of the self-tapping scews;

2) 3/8 socket - either 3/8ths or 1/4 drive ratchet - to remove the self-tapping screws;

3) lug nut socket- and a 1/2" drive torque wrench (115ft/lbs - book says 90-120 ft/lbs- I middled the dangers)

4) Phillips screw driver for the recessed valve body screws; finally

5) patience = lots of it - the valve is in a brutal position - I could have used an extra elbow and wrist joints to manipulate past the suspension and frame!!!!!

The job is complete.

The above is for a 2008 32SB Cruiser Trailer with the extra galley tank valve (the culprit).

It didn't help that it was 30 degrees C (86F) - which is hot for Nova Scotia.

The job took about 4 hours - a lot of it was head scratching and looking for self-tapping screws in my gravel driveway.

I hope this can help someone else.

Happy Camping.......

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

nice write up. i'm glad you figured it out. i can relate to the "head scatching-looking for screws " part.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I must agree it was a great summary. I will need to get under my PP to fix the valve for the black tank.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:43 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I forgot to mention the following tools:

1) 4 ton hydraulic bottle jack to lift the axle (I positioned it on the centreline sideof the u-bolts);

2) scissor jack (I used a 2-ton) - to help support the axle - and provide an additional safety margin;

3) flat blade screwdriver and a rubber mallet to help nudge/wedge the valve body fromits position in the pipework; and a flashlight...

4) and an extra helping of patience.

Note: No beers were harmed while executing this mission.....

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Great write up. One question though... were you able to save all the beers from heat stroke?

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote