Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Leveling and movement suggestions.

I want to hear techniques people use for leveling as well as what you do to minimize how your trailer moves.

I lift the drivers side of my trailer just a little higher than the passenger side to compensate for my 2 slides.
We have 2 levels one at the front and one on the passenger side. We also have a flat level we put on the counter and watch that.
But I have nothing in regards to keeping the trailer from rocking.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

X chaulks for front to back and truck bed load bars for side to side
Old 11-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

We installed JT Stabilizers front and rear on our fifth wheel and that reduced about 90% of our movement. You can get similar setups for the travel trailer that triangulate and stabilize from the frame to the stabilizers/scissor jacks so you don't get the movement. I think the x chalks may be more effective on the travel trailers than the fifth wheels as well.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

As far as the movement issue goes, I have eliminated most of the front to back movement. After leveling the trailer side to side, I have my good wife put plastic wheel chocks behind the rear wheels on both sides. I then back slightly on to the chocks and have her then jam chocks in front of those same wheels.
2014 Ram Hemi Outdoorsman 3:92RE
2013 ST Reserve 30RE
p4lrjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Before leveling, I extend the slides, making sure I check for any obstacles. I then check the levels located on the front drivers side corner. Using Lynx Levelers I will make any correction needed to bring unit to level side to side. Once that is completed I then disconnect and press the auto level button on the
Intelli Jacks control for front to back level.

Once unit is parked I install the X-Chocks between the wheels. Next I run the rear jacks down and then head to the front to install the king pin tripod.

My process seems to work well. The only aspect I do not like is the installation and storage of the king pin tripod. Although it performs well enough to satisfy me, I will be installing Steady Fast stabilizers in the spring.

Anyone interested in my tripod feel free to contact me as it is for sale. Located in NW Iowa.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

After the 5th wheel is on the parking space I check for level side to side. Then level with the lynx levelers. If not perfectly level I would want the bedroom slide slightly higher to have a head up but try to get as level as I can. I made a set of chocks that work the same a X chocks and have a tri-pod for the king pin. And with the rear stabilizers down it takes most of the movement away. On my next trailer I have a product like JT strong arms.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447
Bert,
You said you level with the side with your two slides a little higher. Is that before you put the slides out? And then after the slides are out does it level itself? I used to do the same thing, leaving the street side and inch higher and when the slides went out it did level itself out. I also have the JT strongarms on my unit and I can say I would not be without them. They are worth the money, IMHO.

Travel well,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator447 View Post
Bert,
You said you level with the side with your two slides a little higher. Is that before you put the slides out? And then after the slides are out does it level itself? I used to do the same thing, leaving the street side and inch higher and when the slides went out it did level itself out. I also have the JT strongarms on my unit and I can say I would not be without them. They are worth the money, IMHO.

Travel well,
Jim
Yes, If the ground is level I place 1 leveling block under the tires. Then when the slides open up it levels out. I guess I need to look into the JT strong arms.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardvoia View Post
Before leveling, I extend the slides, making sure I check for any obstacles. I then check the levels located on the front drivers side corner. Using Lynx Levelers I will make any correction needed to bring unit to level side to side. Once that is completed I then disconnect and press the auto level button on the
Intelli Jacks control for front to back level.

Once unit is parked I install the X-Chocks between the wheels. Next I run the rear jacks down and then head to the front to install the king pin tripod.

My process seems to work well. The only aspect I do not like is the installation and storage of the king pin tripod. Although it performs well enough to satisfy me, I will be installing Steady Fast stabilizers in the spring.

Anyone interested in my tripod feel free to contact me as it is for sale. Located in NW Iowa.
The X-Chocks are the first thing I put in. I don't like the idea of chasing my trailer down a hill after unhooking.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

I just aquired the rushmore monticello with the six point leveling system and do I need to say more.

Ram 3500
Rushmore Monticello
gone camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

The more weight you can get off the tires, the more stable the trailer will be. There are lots of gadgets out there that help, but it is still a trailer and unless you put the frame on blocks, it will move.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone camping View Post
I just aquired the rushmore monticello with the six point leveling system and do I need to say more.
When it fails in the middle of the night you'll say something