Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

When we were disconnecting from the truck, we noticed our rig was unlevel . One side was lower than the other. We placed 2 1bys under on front leg of the landing gear and that worked, but is it better to place a board under wheels instead? Will the way we did it cause a problem? Need some input....thanks

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Yes under the wheels to level side to side. I carry two 4' treated 2 X 6 boards to level ours. Trying to do it using the front jacks could rack them and cause damage at some point.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I use these... They also came in handy when I need to jack up the trailer to fix my flats.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-jacks/leveling-blocks-rv.htm?source=google&mm_campaign=aeebaeb376504 db3a75f1d611d0292b3&keyword=JK_{keyword}&u tm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campai gn=JK&utm_term=JK_{keyword}

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I use the same leveling block as above for both the same reasons. First level side to side with the block under the tires then level front to back.< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" =""><div id="ref">
Old 11-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Checking the level indicatorsI have on the pin box is the first thing I do when pulling into a space. ThenI add boards to the wheels if needed and then level frontto rear with the landing gear legs. I have noticed if the landing gear aren't done correctly (one leg hits before the other) then my main entrance door will drag when closing. That just tells me I have a twisted/torqued frame.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:45 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Ok, we've only hadthis fifth wheel fora few weeks now and some things we learned by experience...when we got it home for the first time and parked it on the driveway the entrance door was sticking...tried everything that didn't work untill the next day when I checked the side to side level in the rear of the camper(and my wife was saying the whole time itmust beunlevel, but the front bubble was perfect so what did she know) with my 2ft level and guess what...raising therear jack leveled the camper and fixed the door stick...we need to add a rear bubble...lol

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I opt for the pressur treated 2X6's. They're cheap - often left over from a new deck, gazeebo, etc., and they're easy to transport. Trying to level your rig from side to side with the front jacks will twist the frame which could result in doors, drawers, and slides no working properly. I doubt ithat it would cause serious damage to the doors and drawers, but can't surmise the same for the slides.

After you've been at it for a while levelling your trailer will become second nature, and you'll seldom have to reposition it.
lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

II place a level on the kitchen counter top and it seems to work good.