Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hello,

We have a ZT 32 QB and we're having a lighting issue. The brake lights and turn signals all work, but the running lights do not. I.E. when I have the headlights on, none of the camper lights which are suppose to be on when the headlights are on, are working.

Hope that makes sense. I've sprayed WD - 40 on the plug and the truck plug but still nothing working. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:06 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

The running lights are fed separately from the brake/turn. The first thing I would do is make sure you have power at the connector by using a 12V tester. If you do, then you know it is a trailer issue. With all the parking lamps not working, it is more likely that you have a bad connection where the wire ties to the connector either on the truck or the trailer end. Start with the tester to eliminate or target the truck end, if there is power there when the truck parking lights are on, then test the wires coming out of the back of the trailer connector. If it is dead there, then you know it's in the trailer connector.

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

On some trucks with a towing package you will have a fuse in the fuse box that is for the tailer lights. Start simple check this fuse first. Also there will be seperate fuses for the right side and the left side turn indicators and stop lamps.

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:17 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

My turn signal/brake lite went out during the last weekend trip...I need to replace my trailer plug connector...the tabs on the inside are broken and loose....The replacement is in the garage to be mounted when the sun goes down...and it's cooler. Put the extra "hitch, back-up light" in last night so I can back to the tongue with good visibility...

The Cavanaugh's

2006 Chevy HD 3500 Pullin'

ZT320QB Hardly feel it!
cavy16262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
New Camper

Be careful using WD 40 on electrical connections. it is very flammable one spark and you
can burn up your plug.
PaPaOdecam

Old 06-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I would look for power at the plung on the truck ( i bet its good ) then I would plug the camper in. Follow your plug wire to the box mounted on the frame and open it up, I would guess that there is a wire nut in there that has worked it's way lose. But look to see if the power is making it to the box, If so kep working your way back.

12v test lights are very easy to use , don't cost hardly any thing and can be found just about any where. This should be a easy fix.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Any luck JoeKan? What TV do you drive?

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the help. I went on our short trip without getting it fixed because I knew we wouldn't be traveling at dark. I "think" it's a fuse on my Exursion.

Thanks for the help. I've got another question but I'll start a new post because it's a whole other story!

Joe
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:30 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I just replaced the plug on my trailer on Friday. The tabs in the plug for the left turn signal and brake were broken and could not make contact witht he male plug on the truck. I replaced the plug on the RV and all is well "for now" as we are getting ready to head to Myrtle Beach with a stop in BristolTN to see friends.

The Cavanaugh's

2006 Chevy HD 3500 Pullin'

ZT320QB Hardly feel it!
cavy16262 is offline   Reply With Quote