Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Had a good experience with Lippert customer service recently.
After a 10,000 mi trip with our 06 Cruiser I noticed two broken out riggers, wall supports,on the curb side. I thought, now what am I going to do? So I called Lippert first and got a gal named Cindy. She was VERY GOOD. She dug up the blue prints which surprised me for an 8yr old trailer, found the part numbers, gave me a price which I thought was very fair, had them in stock and I received them in 5 days UPS. This all went very smoothly with no glitches. Now to install them which looks easy enough.
I am pleased
Dennis

cruzr4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Dennis, sorry to sound so naive but what is an "out rigger"? Just curious as we are new to larger RVs. Thanks.

Jean
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #3
Site Team

Now that's a good report out of Lippert for a change.

Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I also had a good experience with Lppert recently. The wrong parts were pulled from stock and it would put a kink in my plans. Lippert responded with Next Day Air and upgraded my part order (wet bolt kit) at no charge. I was able to take my trip as planned
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BODERRVING
Dennis, sorry to sound so naive but what is an "out rigger"? Just curious as we are new to larger RVs. Thanks.

Jean

They are welded extensions off the main I-beams that actually carry the weight of the trailer body. Typically spaced every 4 to 6 ft and triangular in shape except under the slide-outs. Check them by cleaning mud, etc off and use a flashlight to check for broken welds or fractures of the thin metal, either will allow the trailer body to sag and put stress on the floor joists.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I have had one previous experience with Lippert concerning a warranty issue. I believe it was in 2006, had three outriggers beefed up and re-welded on my 2005 Crossroads Cruiser. Lippert set up an appointment at a facility in Whittier, California near my home in Huntington Beach. Drove up there, they walked out, directed me to a parking area and began the repair within five minutes. I was out of there within a half hour. Can't beat that.

Just recently (about a week ago) i contacted Lippert concerning a problem with my living room slide, sheared bolt on one side, and I just wanted their recommendation for an authorized repair facility in my area. Obviously my "warranty ship"had sailed long ago. They responded to my request immediately.</span>

in addition, they were interested/concerned as to the cause of the failure and asked if I could send them pictures of the damage and any possible cause(s). My guess would be that they cared enough to be informed about the issue and perhaps make some adjustments to product design or at least be prepared to offer additional useful information to anyone else with a similar issue.

Anyway, I sent them the pictures and my and the repair facility's thoughts on the problem and they responded by thanking me and saying that my e-mail would be forward to the appropriate persons for evaluation.

What can I say…. Lippert has treated me well.

Robert
Huntington Beach, Califonia

100ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Larry, thanks for the explanation. I have a Zinger with one slide so I am wondering when I should check this out. What are your thoughts?

Jean
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I , also had good dealings with Lippert. While on vacation this summer(brand new trailer) , I noticed that the rear wheels were wearing on the insides. the axle had lost its crown. And the tires were bottoming out on the bottom of the trailer. weigh scales said I was below specs. They immediately shipped larger axles and springs to a local trailer repair place (not the crappy one north of toronto that would never return calls and did a lousy prep). Had them installed when I got home. Perfect.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

BODERRVING,
Larry pretty much described what an outrigger is.
The body of the trailer being wider than the frame needs some support, so they added weldments called outrigiggers. They are a thin metal right triangle welded perpendicular to the frame to support the outer part of the body. Six or eight to a side depending on trailer length.
The new ones received had a crease pressed into them which should add some strength and eliminate any oil canning effect which the originals may have had. Oil canningis a term used in metal fab for back and forth flexing.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:10 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BODERRVING
Larry, thanks for the explanation. I have a Zinger with one slide so I am wondering when I should check this out. What are your thoughts?

Jean

A good practice for when to check things out is whenever you wash the unit. Since you are usually up close and going completely around trailer, washing is a good time to look things over. I also will occasionally wander around the trailer while consuming a "beverage" just scoping things out.

You would be suprised what you can find just taking a few minutes to look things over. Generally, you will notice if something "just doesn't look right". At that point, you will want to dig deeper.

2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:23 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Here are a couple pics, one of the failed pieceand one of the new, not installed yet piece.