Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
New Camper

I am new to CrossRoads, and am looking to purchase a Cruiser Fifth Wheelin the 30' to35' range. My problem is what should I tow it with ? GM, Ford or Dodge. I am hopeing for some insight from people that pull rv's . I am also looking for gas mileage rateings towing and not towing. Can anyone help.

Thank you,

Mark
alwazbezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Pick any of the three they will all do the job. As far as mileage there are many variables such as speed, wind, hills, 2wd or 4wd, etc. Most will get between 16 and 18 highway empty and 9 to 11 towing.

I am referring to diesel in my post.Edited by: Hunter11
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

We all have brands that we prefer, but all will pull the Cruiser well. With the 5er you definitely want a diesel, not a gasser. If you don't have a brand preference, or have an open mind, get the truck you get the best deal on. If you already have the truck, get your 5er and go camping.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I wouldn't be too quick to go with a diesel. New mandatory emission systems (ontop of previous years changes) and extra costs and low vehicle inventory has driven up the costs of the diesel option.

Either the GM with the 6.0l with 6-spd auto and 4.10 or the Ford F250 with the V10 and 4.3 gearing will give you 13K of 5th wheel towing capacity. I have read many formulas but most agree it takes 6-8 years of driving to overcome the initial costs of a diesel. I don't keep vehicles for more the 5 years so it's a no brainer for me. In addition, diesel is 3.17 a gallon here while gas is 2.68 a gallon.

I towed my Cruiser from Maine to New Mexico without batting an eye lash.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

mwebber78....are you driving a 6.0 gas chevy 2500?...what kind of mileage did you get going to New Mexico? A co- worker told me he got way better mileage on his GMC 3500 Diesel duallythan he ever did with his GMC2500 6.0, but couldnt give any numbers...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

You will get better MPG in the diesel but it will take a great deal of towing and driving to reach that juncture. In addition, when the divide between gas and diesel widens (like right now) the time frame increases.

I kept a log my fuel economy for my own benefit and to track costs for the return trip. On the trip out I averaged 9.2 MPG with the range being 8 to as high as 10 depending on the terrain. In Texas I was getting 10 easy! Not so much when I hit the grade into northern NM.

On my return trip I did a little better (changed oil, weather was warmer and in general more favorable) at 9.7 MPG.

My only requirement on the next truck is a long bed so I can benefit from the larger fuel tank. I won't install an aftermarket tank or in-bed system for my own personal reasons.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Also, let me say I am a light footed driver - when towing I never ran over 60MPG, I drafted the big rigs when feasible and never "punched" the gas. When unloaded I avg. 16.5 MPG with my truck.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I had a 6.0 2500HD and got 9-10MPG towing my 30SK. It ran well but slowed on the larger hills quite a bit. It had 4.10 and all the towing "stuff'. The new Duramax now gets 13+ while towing the same rig and is definately an easier tow. I have yet to find a hill that I can't "gain speed" if I so desire. The tradeoff is cost. The initial outlay is quite a bit more than a gasser and the cost per gallon is higher for diesel. My truckneeds tolast a long time so I went ahead and got the diesel. My 2cents is if you can swing it, get the diesel. If not get the larger V8 3/4 ton gas motor in any of the 3 mentioned brands. If you have a small block truck that you want to keep, stay away from anything over 30-31' long.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwazbezy1

I am new to CrossRoads, and am looking to purchase a Cruiser Fifth Wheelin the 30' to35' range. My problem is what should I tow it with ? GM, Ford or Dodge. I am hopeing for some insight from people that pull rv's . I am also looking for gas mileage rateings towing and not towing. Can anyone help.

Thank you,

Mark

there is no easy answer. how much of your usage will be towing? do you do a lot of short trips? do you plan on going on long trips? do you live in a relitively flat area or hilly? any other info you can provide would be helpful.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:53 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

I to am new to towing a 5th wheel. Last year we bought a new Cruiser and a Ford F350, 4x4, 4.73 diff, with a 6.4 diesel and auto trans. I chose the diesel because of the long jevity of the engine and being able to climb the mountains. I chose the F350 because of the extra leaf spring in the rear. That cost me an extra $100 and is the only difference between the 250 and 350. The extra spring helps support the weight on the truck. In the city I get 12mpg and on the highway I get 15mpg with out the trailer. When towing I average 10 - 12 mpg while traveling. The reason diesel is higher than gasoline now is because the refineries are producing heating oil for home use. In the summer the refineries will switch back to diesel and gasoline will be higher in cost.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

congrats! nice rig and good duo.

your fuel economy seems to be low for diesel F350. is it because you're traveling mountain roads?

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I agree with the oters as to the brand it is what ever you like. But the big difference here is the engine. I made the move to diesel because of the power and have been very happy with it. Of course the up front cost and maintenance is higher than gas but I am not hugging the right side of the road in the hills. I was noticed I got around 12 in the city and 18 driving on the freeways. Towing it dropped down to 10-12 depending on all the conditions. It is a bit higher now but hope once the heating oil demand goes down it will come down too. Just make sure that the truck you chose can handle the weight of the trailer you buy.

Enjoy the new cruser