Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
New Camper

I saw a tear in the fabric covering the bottom of our 2008 crossroads cruiser 5th wheel. Crossroads service suggested I repair it with "tuck" tape. While I was under the trailer repairing it I noticed the galley tank seems to be sitting on the fabric. I can push up on the tank and it will move up about 6". Surley it must be strapped in somehow? I can imagine if I towed it with a full tank that tank would be sitting on the road before long!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Peter

Heynow999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

It probably is NOT sitting on the fabric rather the fabric it pulled tight up against the tank. The tank sits on two rails and (if it was like my tank) is not strapped in. You are probably lifting the tank off the support rails.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
New Camper

I see two rails that the rear fresh water tank sits on, but there are definately no bars under this tank. The bars for the fresh water tank are clearly visible below the fabric, but no bars are under the galley tank?

Old 09-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

If there is no visible support for the galley tank I would go ahead and drop the fabric and fix it now before it falls out driving down the highway. Check all the tanks and connections while you have the fabric off.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

The support bars for the grey/black tanks are different than the fresh water tank. They are above the black membrane and (as I recall) about two inches above the bottom of the tank. The tank has two ribs on the each side of the tank and these ribs are what sit on the support bars. I doubt you can feel them from under the RV. You can pull a little bit of the membrane down on the side of the rig (remove a couple of screws and a membrane support strap and look). I doubt that CR changed this mounting from my 2007 and your 2008.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:00 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

As I recall from my PP the black and gray water tanks are only supported by angle iron and if full i guess could sag in the middle. The fresh water tank is supported by plywood to prevent sagging. In my case the water tank was able to slide side to side and ended up rubbing a hole by one of the screws that hold the fabric on. Some here have blocked it in with some wood to prevent this problem. When I replace the tank I will address the added support.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:07 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Follow up....If you do pull down a bit of the membrane to take a peek, do it at the right rear corner area of the black tank. This is where your black tank flush screws into the tank. You may want to know where this is because the filter screen occasionally gets plugged.

George is correct, there is no plywood under the grey/black tanks like the fresh tank. If the black tank is empty, you can just push it up.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:40 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

This is a question I have had since I installed my rearview camera and in the process replaced the fabric belly cover with coroplast. If you push up on the black or grey tank shouldn't it NOT move?I can see where the middle of the tank could flex upward but shouldn't the tank be held in place by at least thepressure from the drain line where it is connected to the tank? The black tankfor instance, should have a solid connectionall the way up to the flange that the toilet mounts to that would prevent the tank from moving upward. Otherwise if the tank is moving it must be sliding up and down on the pipe that runs from the toilet into the tank and that means that connection is not "sealed" so sewer gas could escape unless there is some sort of gasket where the pipe enters the tank that seals liquids and gasses in butallows formovement. Also, the vent line should be connected in a similar way.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

In my case, I was able to push up on the tank a little bit....1/2" or so. I agree one might think the toilet plumbing and vent line would hold it in place, but even those glued items will have SOME flex to them.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
New Camper

ok, some good input, thanks. I looked at the problem more closely today. I have not pulled back the underbelly fabric so I was just feeling around the tank and seeing how much it moved. It makes more sense to me now that someone has mentioned how the tanks are supported on the side, not a strap accross the bottom. However, after playing with the tank a bit it does seem like it is resting on the fabric, at least at the front end of the tank. The rear appears to be held by something and does not move. What I will do is get two aluminum bars similar to the bars that hold up the fresh water tank at the rear. I will mount them below the fabric to support the tank just like the fresh water tank.

Thanks for the input