Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

DeletedEdited by: artgpo

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Good luck with the repairs/sale and the Class A.

Just be aware that the MH crowd is not without tire issues also.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/ryan/Deadly-tire-blowout-in-an-RV-serves-as-cautionary-tale-152788725.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/motor...ut-125141.html

http://blog.mississippi.robertnkatz....tal-crash.html

Plus lots more. If it is round, rubber, and filled with air, it can cause trouble.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I made a post on here a few hours age and it dissappered. I wish you luck with your class A and I also want to go this route.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I can understand your frustration. I have posted previously about the conversion on my 2010 Cruiser from 15" to 16" wheels. I bought the BFG Commercial T/A's. They are a little less expensive than the Michelins and good wheels are available for about $500 for 4.

I think you will find the spacing a little close on the conversion, so I had my trailer lifted 2". Yes, you are looking at about $2K for the entire job but that's a lot cheaper than a new Class A.

In the end if you really want a MH go for it, but there are solutions for the Cruiser.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I did the same thing with the same tires and lift. They are great. Still want a class A though.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Deleted
Edited by: artgpo

Art and Karen
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
Old 11-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
Site Team

Here ya go Art.
http://www.midstaterv.com/index.php/...ensive-rv.html

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I've always figured that Tiffin was the top until you get into nosebleed territory.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer

I wonder how much that thing weighs. I mean marble entry steps and a car stowed underneath. 238 gal fuel tank. You are talking a lot of weight.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgpo
Jury is still out concerning the MH upgrade. We saw a floorplan we really like. Several different manufacturers make a plan such a the one we like. We have no idea as to how the various manufacturers rank in terms of quality. From outward appearance it would seem as though, for this type plan, that Winnebago is tops with Fleetwood right behind. The Thor products just don't seem on a par with these. Same with Forest River. Any opinions?

cons
1) propane tanks on a MH are not removable, so long stays in cold weather require propane deliveries.
2) fuel mileage is worse with a MH
3) fewer shops can handle repairs/maintenance on a MH
4) drivetrain repairs/maintenance means living quarters are also tied up at the shop
5) tire failure on the road can't be replaced by the owner, some MHs don't even come with a spare
6) driving in very hot weather requires running the roof AC which means running the gen, further impacting mpg and range
7) all costs higher, purchase price, routine maintenance, tires, etc
8) can't backup with a toad attached
9) zero floor plans with coat closet next to the entrance door
10) from outside, can't get to the bathroom or bedroom w/o walking thru the living area

pros
1) sharper wheel cut means easier backing into a spot (after toad disconnected)
2) rear view mirrors and backup camera always point at vehicle rear, again, easier backing up
3) running the AC on the road means coach is already comfortable at the campsite

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Father's Wini Adventure was his favorite.

Had rear heat from engine (whole coach warm even 15 below f.)

Hot water tank heated from engine (always had hot water on the road).

Never ran gen on the road to keep front of coach cool ( even on trip to Panama Canal).

Claimed to out run diesel pushers up hills AND less braking going down (V10 ford).

Power center regulates power on 30 amp suplies.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Larry,

One very BIG plus for a MH is 22.5" Michelin tires. Sure they cost a fortune to replace but their failure rate is considerably less than an ST bomb.

Once the repairs are complete, hopefully before the end of the year, we'll decide on its future. Right now the choices are 1, sell and stop RVing, 2, buy a MH and bite the big one. With the prices of the floorplans we like we don't know if it is doable.

Advantages you did not mention are:
Ability to prepare something to eat (cold or in the microwave) going down the road although not the safest. Staying put in a seatbelt is the best option. Pulling into a rest area and preparing is best. MH gives ability to stay inside without the slide needing to be out and having full dining, relaxing and bathroom access all in generator supplied a/c comfort.
Shower is double the size than in a Cruiser
Ability to have our son and family or our daughter travel without the need of a bunkhouse taking precious living space.
Unit has two a/c heat pumps so in our mild Texas winters propane mightnever be needed.
Ability to run two roof a/c on 30 amp with the built in power management system.

We learned some of the above by spending almost 450 nights in our Cruiser over the past two years. The main thing we learned was that there is a whole lot more living space in a similar length MH.

Right now the choice is between Winnebago and Fleetwood, both of whom have a very similar floorplan. If I could sellthe Cruiser and truck privately that would be preferred. I could sell the truck in a day but the Cruiser is another story. Even with the oil field boom causing sales of RVs to skyrocket down here I have my doubts.

Art and Karen
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
Old 11-19-2012, 03:07 AM   #13
Site Team

Art, everybody has to do their own thing. I think it all boils down to how each individual wants to reason it out, or how they want to see it.
I've had three different MH, and I don't ever see another one in my future. I like the 5th wheel approach so much better. For me there just any comparison.
I agree with "some " of your reasoning, but not all of it. One more thing you can add to Larry's list is you will have two (2) engines and drive trains to maintain with a MH and toad.
As far as the 22.5 in. tires I don't agree with you there at all. If you are going the MH route do yourself a BIG favor and at least look at something with freight liner chassis, or similar.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

"As far as the 22.5 in. tires I don't agree with you there at all. If you are going the MH route do yourself a BIG favor and at least look at something with freight liner chassis, or similar."
Why?

Art and Karen
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgpo

"As far as the 22.5 in. tires I don't agree with you there at all. If you are going the MH route do yourself a BIG favor and at least look at something with freight liner chassis, or similar."
Why?
Most class A MH are as big as a truck, because that basically is what they are. The ones with the heavier chassis drive and handle better then the cheaper MH that they build on a light duty truck frame. I know, I had one!!! If you don't believe me, just go test drive one on a windy day and you will see how much fun it is trying to keep it between the lines.

Art, I spoke to soon on the 22.5 in. tires. I had the 19.5 in. stuck in my head. After looking at the 22.5 they are a totally different tire.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Old 11-20-2012, 06:00 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
While I loved our Cruiser I'm pleased with my switch to a Class C. The earlier list of pro/con's is a bit tilted in one direction but I understand everyone has their own opinion on the matter.

Just a FYI, took myself and four friends from Maine to Pittsburg to see the Steelers and tailgate, it was awesome in the motorhome. I kept accurate logs, I achieved 8.5 mpg in the motorhome with the generator running on/off for electronics. When towing my Cruiser with my Chevy 2500 gasser I rarely saw anything over 11 mpg towing. I like the larger tanks on the motorhome for fuel, felt like I always needed gas in my Chevy. As a result of buying the motorhome I drive an Altima as my daily commuter, I now get 33 mpg everyday vs. my truck which struggled for 16 mpg. In my case, the motorhome was a great switch. I never tow a toad, I get a corporate rate with Avis and rent a car at my destination as needed. Typically, it's sub $20 a day......
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #17
Site Team

I don't know that I would label a list of facts as "tilted", but I can understand not everybody looks at the same situation in the same way.
One more thing to add to the list---If you stock your RV with pots, pans, dishes, and silverware you can expect to be serenaded with the rattle of those plus maybe the doors as you travel down the road. Something you never hear while towing a 5th wheel/trailer.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

I had a motor home years ago, as Lloyd said there was all ways the rattle of dishes and cabinets and a lot of other noises. The deal breaker for me was the need for two units with motors and trans mission. If you did not have a car to tow behind you you were taking it to the store for a loaf of bread. I like the versitility of my present set up
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

I felt the same way when I had tire problems on road. I installed Maxxis tires on our CF32BL and have never had problems with tires again. Discount Tire online price 154.00 a tire.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

If my 2c is worth anything...

We are decades from full timing (in mid-30's), but have never considered a MH. Only TT and mainly 5er. While frustration with premature tire failure, I agree with the lower cost/maint. of a 5er over a MH. Frankly...I miss paid off/easy tow pop up!

I am certain you guys have discussed switching to MH much, but this thread leans towards your main reason being tire failure. With a little research and verification of proper loading, I would think tires are a simple fix. Buying a MH doesn't mean you will not have to worry about tire failure, and potential results can be much worse.

Just my humble opinion. Best of luck with whatever you choose!
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote