Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Hi All

Well we just home from 4 weeks in our Sunset Trail 26BH. We live in Alberta and made a trek all the way down to Florence Oregon and came up the coast looking at all the sights, WHAT a BLAST.

In the last RV park the trailer was not level when I tried to run the slide in, I had done this before, not quite this crooked but the slide had operated. This time absolutely nothing, like no power, I checked all the electrical, read the manual and was trying to determine where the manual crank point is/was. I was actually thinking I needed to remove the entire bottom covering, then I thought I would try levelling the trailer, or at least close, when I did this and pushed on the slide itself, with the help of a fellow camper the slide did manage to come in. I was very relieved, although had much trepidation every time I needed to extend and retract the slide for the rest of the trip, another 4 days, plus emptying the tanks.

So my question is:

Where would the manual crank connect to?

Is it hidden under the bottom cover? Surely no engineer would do this as a "best practise".

I have seen other campers using a manual crank to extend and retract their slides.

I also know that I will not be caught in a camp ground in a pouring rain storm, or a +90 degree day wondering where the crank point is.

Does anyone know?

Thanks

Ernie
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Unless they have changed there should be a small plastic access door/cover on the outside of the slide you would open and insert the crank handlethrough to get to the manual crank point.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Site Team

If I remember right---There is a hole on the off side on ours that the crank is inserted into.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

On my '08 30BH the crank handle attaches to a point through and back of the stairs when they're in the down position. Easy access and easy to see.Maybe yours is too?

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

On all of the Lippert slides I have seen, the access hole is just below floor level, approximately in the center of the slide andon the opposite side of the trailer from the slide.

This is not true for beadroom slides on 5th wheels, they are under the bed.Edited by: BipeFlier

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

The above comments are all true for the standard Lippert slide with the electric actuator and the rack and pinion gear racks. If you have a Swinteck slide it is a whole different arrangement. Gear tracks on upper and lower portion of each side of the slide and two drive motors, one on each side at the top. I think Lippert has a video, or someone posted info for what to do to mannualy operate a Swinteck slide.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I would be concerned with trying to push out the slide when not level, and especially when twisted. We always set the trailer level before we push out any of the slides. Failing to do this could put undo strain on the slide mechanism and lead to some hefty repairs.
The manual crank is great for when a motor dies, but if the mechanism is binding, you can easily cause more damage by manually cranking the slide.

Edited by: Canucklehead
Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for all the help, with your replies.
Let me tell you what steps I took with your replies.

1st </span>Istarted to look for the 2 manufacturers of slides,,, Lippert and Schwintek. I believe through my searches I discovered that Lippert has purchased the Schwintek company or at least their technology.

2nd </span>I searched further, mostly You Tube, for more information on the 2 manufacturers, primarily Schwintek as I discovered a video that talks about their technology and the "worm rail" I think the link below is the one that I am referring to:

Old 08-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

just wondering where was your manual crank handle located?

2010 ST29QB

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...in/TVsetup.jpg

gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Inside the front outside storage cupboard, right along with the manual crank for the stabilizer jacks
Old 08-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

I suspect the second crank handle is for your electric tongue jack. That's what mine is for.

2004 Chevrolet Express 2500 Hi-Top Conversion, 6.0l

2012 Sunset Trail Reserve 32FR
stupotlynn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

The handle is to crank the stab jacks/front jackin the event of failure you can disengage the motors on the jacks and use the handle to raise/lower them. Nothing to do withthe slide.I know I also had these questions when I bought our 26BH 2013.
I would recommend cutting a couple 2x4's exactly to fit on the top of the slide out to lock it in place in the event you ever had to manually override the electric motors for the slide. And keep them in the trailer. They should almost provide a sort of lock for this emergency situation IMHO

Edited by: Kagex

Kagex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

On my ST29SS after I unplug the motor control wires and push the slide in all I have to do to secure the slide is reconnect the wires back into the controler
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

As a new owner of a used Cruiser CF28CK with no owner's manual, and after a long hunt and peck, I found mymanual crank for the kitchen slide located on the opposite side of the camper between the two tires, and the crank for the sofa/table slide just left of the steps, again on the opposite side of the camper. BOY, would I like to locate an Owner's manual.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Believe me you don't need an owners manual. You may own a tt and they my be talking about a 5er. way to generic. The best way to findout what you need to know is to ask here or do a search.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #16
New Camper

The lens takes the beams of light bouncing off an object and focuses
this light on the image plane so that a real image is formed that can be
photographed.<div style="overflow: ;">

webcreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

I find this topic very interesting as I have worried about what to do if we could not get our slide to retract. We have a 2008 22' Sunset Trails TT and have never had a problem with the slide. I don't think we have a crank for it. Should we? If so, where wouldthe hole be? Unfortunately the TT is 400 miles away and I can't run out there and check. lizzie

Class B - Roadtrek
lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Lizzie....You might look where your awning handle was located. They look somewhat similar except the slide crank has a notch in one end. The hole for the slide crank is on the opposite side of the rig for the slide in question. Its about the side of a half dollar. You have to insert the crank into the access hole until you find the actuating rod and then fit the notch of the crank onto the tee of the actuating rod.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

If your slide out room has 4 alum bars on 4 outside corners (sides) it is a Schwintek by Lippert Componets.
Go to "Google"then "You-Tube" search "Schwintek" there are dozens of videos; Lippert University.
"Pop" disengage motors &amp; GrandKids can then push-in Slideout; reinstall motors to hold slide in for travel.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Thank you so much. We have had this rig for almost three years and use it constantly but I have always wondered about this. I am driving down to Al (its winter home) on Wednesday and will check for cranks and holes.lizzie

Class B - Roadtrek
lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote