Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
New Camper

max roof weight for 2014 32RL?

Washing and waxing our 2104 32RL camper this weekend... I want to check the roof seals but I do not want to climb on top without knowing the max weight it can hold... not real happy with our dealer at this time so I am asking for help here...
rmmilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

I was told by CR customer service that the best way to access the roof is to use a piece of plywood with carpet on the back to span across trusses.
wmasscampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Most of crossroads roofs are 3/16 luan. Upper end are 3/8 .
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

If your unit has a rear ladder or if that specific model has a rear ladder option, then guaranteed it is a 'walk on' roof. Meaning 3/8" plywood. I walk on mine all the time, but try to step near each roof truss rather than between them. I recently added a bedroom A/C and I was standing on the roof while lowering the extra 100 lbs onto the roof, never really noticed any flex in the roof with all the extra weight located in one small area of the roof.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Mine too has the ladder set up on the back and I get up annually to clean and check for leaks.

It flexes a bit but no concern when up there.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I have a Rezerve 26BH and was told by my CW dealer to wash the roof with dawn detergent and spray the roof with a roof protectant that they sold at least one a year. I found one of the rain

drain channels plugged with tree debris.
Gary Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ohio View Post
I have a Rezerve 26BH and was told by my CW dealer to wash the roof with dawn detergent and spray the roof with a roof protectant that they sold at least one a year. I found one of the rain

drain channels plugged with tree debris.
Not sure if you too have a rubber roof but I clean mine with a mid detergent only.
Lots of comments about roof care but I've never seen anything about a spray protectant for a rubber roof.
What are you applying after cleaning?

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Bob,
The spray is called "Rubber roof Treatment" with UV protection. It is made by "Protect All Inc." I was told by the Shirpilla Camping World dealership in Akron, Ohio to spray and mop this on my rubber roof.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #9
Site Team

Unless they have changed the roof material recently that's wrong info. If you have any literature that came with your trailer about the roof it should tell you in there about cleaning and maintenance. Other wise maybe call CR and ask them. I don't always believe everything a dealer or a tech tells me.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:54 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I agree with not always trusting your dealers, although ours recommended the Dicor products for cleaning the roof and that is what we have used so far. Seems to be designed for it considering Dicor makes a lot of RV roof related products.

http://dicorproducts.com/catalog/roo...-roof-cleaner/

http://dicorproducts.com/catalog/roo...of-protectant/

We do have a walk on roof. The OP should use a couple of pieces of plywood covered with carpet to move around on the roof to check and clean it. 2 - 2'X3' pieces of plywood should work well if you place them lengthwise with the direction of the trailer as you move forward
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:02 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Lloyd,
I will take you advise and call. The dealer tech told me to keep my rubber roof treatment purchase receipts (I did) and take pictures after cleaning ( I did not) for proof that I performed proper maintenance for my roof warranty. I have not had any leak issues with my Rezerve (knock on wood), and hoped to keep it that way.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:07 AM   #12
Site Team

When we got our rig, the only thing recommended was, washing the roof with something mild, and NO conditioner.
That is the reason I have been a strong supporter of a product made here in WI. called -- Solvit. It fits the bill.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Lloyd,
FYI- I just got off the phone with the CR service representative and he told my the spray was OK to use on my roof. I was worried I might be doing more harm than good.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:40 AM   #14
Site Team

Thanks Gary. Apparently they have changed something.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Interesting. I was told by my dealer that I could go on the roof, which I have already done to check the seals. I don't walk on the roof, but rather crawl so weight is distributed a bit more evenly. Plywood idea is good though. Thanks for the post.
Mike
nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Mike,
Interesting that the CR service representative also told me today to check the seals when I clean and spray the roof. I also crawl rather than walk on the roof (because I hate heights)! I also needed to change the plastic vent covers on my old camper that were brittle and broke due to the sun exposure. MY CR Rezserve uses the same vent covers as my old camper.