Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

About a month ago I posted a question asking about good products for washing and waxing a 5er. Several people recommended Meguiar's products. So I went to the Meguiar's website and ordered Meguiar's PURE WAX 56 CARNAUBA BLEND.

Upon reading the directions I found this part: "Keep off vinyl and rubber surfaces." Aren't the decals on the 5er made out of vinyl? And isn't the seam joint between the front cap and the gel coat side, made out of rubber?

Is this stuff safe to use?

2011 Cruiser Cf325CKP
klr650goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
Site Team

Greg, don't you have that job done yet??????
I tried a can of Meguiar's, fact is the most of it is still sitting out in the garage. Didn't care for it. I use plain old Turtle wax. Always have.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Old Farmer...do you use the wax on the decals and rubber joints or do you avoid these...I just waxed all over but now some of the decals are cracking and some are peelimg...wonder if its the sun or the wax?...We have a whole set of new decals but am afaraid to replace...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
Site Team

Cowboy-
I have a random orbit polisher I put the wax on with and take it off. I wax everything. I don't have any cracked decals. (knock on wood)
My rig sits inside all the time when not in use so the sun really isn't an issue most of the time.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

This is completely amazing. This afternoon I went outside to wash and wax the 5er. Had a Meguiars wash and wax ready and I even had a special Meguiars bug removing sponge too. I started with the front cap, probably just because it looked worse than the rest of the trailer. First I used the brush on the pole that water goes through and wet one side and the front down real well. Next the Meguiars wash and wax mixed appropriately with waterall over the front cap, bugs came off pretty well, but many were still there. I crawled up the step ladder with the bug removing sponge and a couple dryer sheets. I'd never used dryer sheet, but have heard about their ability to remove bugs so took them along just in case the Meguiars sponge needed some help. At the top of the ladder I began with the sponge; it did pretty well. Then I thought might as well try the dryer sheets. HOLY COW! They worked twice as good as the sponge.

The trailer will be very clean real soon.

2011 Cruiser Cf325CKP
klr650goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

If our 2-cents are worth anything...

We have aluminum siding...I wash with automotive cleaner and use spray-wipe Turtlewax. Keeps streaks down and looks great. Hasn't seemed to affect graphics and I try not to spray rubber directly.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

OK, thanks, thats what Ithought...IT'S THE SUN...wish I had an inside for my 5vr to sit inwhen not in use...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I use Nu Finish its cheap and it does a good job of shinning the 5ver up and taking those black streaks off that simple green wont. It seems to hold up pretty good even with weekly washes.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote