Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #1
New Camper

Mice!

I’m having a lot of issues with mice getting in my Paradise Pointe 5th wheel (2006). Have tried a lot of different remedies excluding traps. Several suggested steel wool in holes under neath. Question is, where should I start looking for these holes?
lruffin893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Just get under the camper and look. Around the landing legs and anywhere anything goes thru the underbelly. Also the power cord if plugged in. We live in the country and have tried everything and what works best is just old fashioned traps checked about twice a week. We usually get a couple every now and then but there are also some cats around that help.

On our camper there are places that cant be sealed like the battery compartment and the propane compartment. They have to be vented so do the best that you can and if you would like I will send you a surplus cat - no return!

Good luck and from our camp to yours MERRY CHRISTMAS.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #3
Site Team

It's pretty hard to keep them out of the LP, battery, and outside storage compartments.
What we did on the inside of the camper has pretty much stopped them from getting in there.

You will have to open every cupboard and pull all the drawers so you can see any and all holes that the factory so skillfully drilled thru the floor and walls. The huge holes fill with steel wool and put spray foam over to finish sealing. The smaller holes, just filling with spry foam should take care of it.
It will take some time and patience to get them all. But if you don't seal all of them, you won't keep them out.
Also look under the rear bumper, between that and the camper to see if there is a space there where they can enter into the wall. Seal the holes in the frame. Even if it's only with duck tape or gorilla tape.
If you do it right, I'm sure you will find it has been time well spent.
Good luck and let us know what the results were.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

As Lloyd said, seal it up for a starter. Then add a trap with peanut butter as security, and your favorite deterrent be it fabric softener sheets as some claim work well. I faithfully weekly spray starting ether fluid into a can in the see through storage, also just inside by the door and also in the back cord compartment. Ether might be a tad expensive method, and unpractical for some to do weekly, but for the $20 it's my #1 preventive remedy. Hasn't failed me yet, or my best friend ever, who's been using this method for 15 years and gave me the tip...
Old 12-22-2018, 07:03 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Ref:mouse traps. I take the trap and use a glue gun with hot glue. Put a dab of hot glue on the trap then I put a piece of dog food on the glue and mash it in and let it dry. This will get the hard to catch mice.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:26 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Eliminating as much "harborage" (a term our local health inspector likes to use) as possible will help a lot. In our case, our camper had always been parked in the same place when at home for nearly 20 years and grass always grew under and around it. When we got this last one, we built up the area with 12 inches of gravel and put a carport over it. The clean gravel is not nearly as inviting as dirt and grass. Our last fifth wheel was full of mice and five months in, we have not seen the first one with this setup.
Pinesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #7
New Camper

Dryer Sheets

Have used dryer sheets the last four winters on two different campers. No mice at all. Got the small box and used them all. Inside all nooks and piping areas. Better smell than old mice nests..
UPNORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:23 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I have also heard that peppermint oil will help. I can not say for sure that it does or not but my wife does spray that around the camper along with the other measures we have taken.
Pinesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #9
Site Team

We tried the dryer sheets and the mice here in Mo - at least at my house love them so much they use them to build there nest. One thing we found by accident was that when we winterized the wife left the toilet lid up after pouring antifreeze in. Mice love the sweet smell but cant swim.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:47 AM   #10
Gone Traveling

For the house, I was about to recommend an effective mice trap, but now, you should try to use mouse repellent or can use mouse poison. Many RV owners also use glue to trap the mice. Try to get rid of mice as soon as possible because their infestation could be harmful to your health.
Remedios_Sharrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mice