Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2012, 05:11 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

I put four containers of DeCon in the 5er last fall. Two of them in each side of the basement and two in the living area. For most of the winter it appeared that they were not touched. A few days ago I went out to look at them again and they were ALL gone!!! I suspect that we are going to find some dead mice this season. I put four more in just in case, and they appear to be untouched. Someone mentioned sealing up all access points with spray foam. How did you find these various "access" points? Was just by inspection or does Crossroads have something showing where they are? I have the insulated underbelly. I guess I'll have to get on my back and crawl under the whole 5er looking for any holes.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Yes you will have to crawl around top to bottom looking for the smallest of cracks and holes. Check under the sinks where the water and drain lines come through from the basement area and look around the electrical and heater area. I basically spent most of a day when we got our trailer looking for entry points and then sealing them. You can use expanding spray foam and steel wool or a combination of both.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #3

I use mouse traps around my 5er on the floor of the building. I really cant use decon because of our small dogs. Plus the mice will take the decon and store in in places for later. My guess is most of it is stored inside the underbelly. I like the traps that are enclosed except for a mouse door. And you don't have to touch them to throw them away. A spring release on the outside top releases and resets the trap. Just buy a cheep off brand of peanut butter. They can't resist.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Reeces(?) Peanut butter cups work really good too...although it is a waste of a good snack... As others have said, plan a nice day to seal everything you can. Might want to set some traps inside some of the cabinet areas, water heater area, just in-case they made it in...

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

if all else fails...a .44mag
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I have a .44 mag in both a carbine and a 9" revolver. Which one would you suggest for mice?

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

10 gauge shot gun works for me

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Rookies. A .22 is at least sporting.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #9

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups would never make it to the traps with me.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Mice: Well, let me suggest two things. (1) bait; I have been successful with suet that you hang out for the birds. I pick some off the block with a nail and put it in or on the trap. It doesn't dry out like peanut butter and a few seeds falling next to the trip lever encourages the mice to seek more. (2) Fresh Cab; I've used this product to keep mice out. Two packets in the camper and one in the storage compartment and there are no mice to catch in the traps. All my RV friends that have tried this product (look for it on the internet) have not had any mouse problems and no Moth Ball odor. Fresh Cab smells good, like pot pourri. I can't say enough about the product. After one year's use, it is still good for other uses like under cabinets, etc. Keep it in the camper year round.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Dryer sheets and moth balls don't work (personal first hand experience). Just looked at the fresh cab reviews and seems it doesn't work either.

I had used dryer sheets for years and never had a mouse. But one year that all changed. Tried moth balls and again, had mice. My best guess is that you have been lucky with fresh cab just like I was with dryer sheets.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 03-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Don't believe the reviews. I've been thru all those other remedies you have and I haven't seen Fresh Cab fail yet nor know anyone else who has tried it and have it not work. You may be right in your assessment but, I'll keep using it until proven wrong. I did post a sign outside the camper that says : Mice, Keep Out! Maybe that's what is doing it??
Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

What ever works!

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 03-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

;t to be the sign! I've heard tell mice are getting smarter.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

2012 Cruiser CF335SS
cruzinfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Putting bait in the camper brings them in. I have tried dryer sheets and they made a nest out of all them. A farmer that I know has used these for 5 years in tractors and combines and not had any trouble. Each to there own. But I tried the Fresh Cab and no mice until proven gilty, I will keep using it as mice is nor fun in anything even an RV. Wire damage etc.

2012 Cruiser CF335SS
cruzinfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

+1

https://i43.tinypic.com/rlz8tk.jpg

Life is too short not to live it as a Texan.
Texas1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Martin&Rog
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Horseman
Mice: Well, let me suggest two things. (1) bait; I have been successful with suet that you hang out for the birds. I pick some off the block with a nail and put it in or on the trap. It doesn't dry out like peanut butter and a few seeds falling next to the trip lever encourages the mice to seek more. (2) Fresh Cab; I've used this product to keep mice out. Two packets in the camper and one in the storage compartment and there are no mice to catch in the traps. All my RV friends that have tried this product (look for it on the internet) have not had any mouse problems and no Moth Ball odor. Fresh Cab smells good, like pot pourri. I can't say enough about the product. After one year's use, it is still good for other uses like under cabinets, etc. Keep it in the camper year round.

We also use Fresh Cab and have for years. We store our FW in a Barn with other RVs and farm implements. I'venot seen any signs of rodents in theRV in all those years. Love the Fresh Cab smell too! It is a natural product, no chemicals.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

This may seem to be the proverbial stupid question but has anyone ever used one of those plug in electrical devices that are supposed to emit sounds to keep rodents away. I haven't but I have seen them in the local Farm Implement Store. Just wondering

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

My wife insisted on using those plug in electronic devices in two sheds I have at my house. She also put some in the RV. Well, one of them in a shed crapped out from a mouse nest built on top of it. I guess they liked the heat!! Does that tell you anything about how good they are?