Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #1
New Camper

Mice in ceiling

In live n a 2006 Savoy Holiday Rambler 5th wheel and i need to know how to get mice out of the ceiling. There are several i can hear running around . I dont know how to get up n the ceiling to put some traps or whatever i need 2 do . I have bought a coue of those ultra sonic pest repellents and they do not work for me. I live by myself so im needing 2 know how 2 get to the ceiling or what do i need 2 do to get rid of the mice cause its driving me crazy at night while i try to sleep. Any info is greatly appreciated and thank u very much.
Countrybumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:35 AM   #2
Site Team

Hello and welcome!

You could take down anything that is attached to the ceiling like the speakers or the vent trim and access the ceiling.

Went camping last weekend and between the acorns falling and the squirrels running back and forth on the roof i understand.

Also if you can access the roof you would want to check if you can find where they are getting in.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

It is possible that they are NOT in the ceiling as much as in the A/C ductwork. Unless there are gaping holes in the roof on the outside, they cannot get to the rafter areas. However, if the A/C unit is not properly installed, they could be getting in that way. As Dagst mentioned, you will have to examine the ceiling openings from inside to investigate. Plumbers sometimes have small cameras that can be used to visualize the inside of ductwork.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #4
New Camper

Thank u very much for ur suggestions.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
New Camper

Ok my ac unit is attached really good and there is no holes in the roof . i have examined and cant seem to find where there conibg n at but they r right above my head in my bedroom cause all jight they ran around and chewed and scratched so i got about a hr. worth of sleep . im headed to home depot to check out somethings to help me out somehow but they r somewhere in the roof of the rv cause they are running everywhere . Thanks for the info.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Some time back there was another member with the same problem.
Here is a link to his thread. Maybe you can gain some info from it.

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...wers-9891.html
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Mice, squirrels, ants, and many other pests can enter and access any area of any structure. Based on my and others I know experiences, this is a battle of patience and for professionals. Mice are very creative, ambitious, and love warmth. They therefore seek an area fitting that need. Mice will tunnel, chew through, and in whatever way possible find a way to that nice warm ceiling. There are plumbing, refrigerator, wiring, and TV/cable access point that are in the roof. Check them all. Look for evidence - droppings and sawdust. Also eliminate food sources.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:20 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

You might laugh but pepper mint oil chasses there varmint rear end out of the entire camper I use the oil for all of my RxR crossings House's
Keithdodge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #9
New Camper

Spray

This might be shutting the barn door after the cow got out but this year I purchased a spray at Home Depot, it is a Peppermint/cinnamon/and I think
Garlic, might be wrong on the last.

Since my trailer now resides in Florida because of a mice infestation that put my wife over the wall I was using it on the lower sides of the two garage doors, inside and out. We also have 4 sticky traps on either side of the two doors. I usually catch 4 to 6 mice in the sticky traps, with the addition of the spray - no mice, about $7-$9 per can. This is something that needs to be done on the undercarriage of a trailer in August, you can't wait until Sept. or Oct. much too late, they could have gotten into the wire chase of the trailer, that's what happen to mine, they got into the trailer and every drawer and closet and CHEWED everything they could even rolls to toilet paper in plastic store wrap. Somehow your going to have to get traps in the AC/Heating vents, I had mice poop in my lights, a lot of mice poop.
Good Luck - I feel your pain
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Couple of comments:
When I was a kid we used to place beer bottles with about 1/4" of beer in the bottom in our garage to catch mice. Put an upright bottle next to something a mouse can climb on an they will crawl into the bottle. Often get 2-3 mice per bottle. Beer does just as well as peanut butter in the bottle.

I guess the mice can climb the tires and jack stands as well as power line, water hose and sewer hose, so various ways to access the trailer. I need to do this asap. I think my wife might stroke on me if she found mice in the TT.

Better get on this today before it's to late.
I'm going to need the correct frame of mind for this; CaddyShack -> it's more about planning the hunt than the actual kill.

Happy Hunting!

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:16 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithdodge2001 View Post
You might laugh but pepper mint oil chasses there varmint rear end out of the entire camper I use the oil for all of my RxR crossings House's

Just posted this in another thread 2 days ago.... Apparently, it does work.