Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Mice mystery, who's got the magic answers

Now, if I have your attention, maybe you have another perspective that will get me to the right answers. #1 The obvious question is how do mice get inside the trailer? #2 How can they get into the ceiling?

My Cruiser has been inside my steel RV garage for 2 months, now 2nd night on the road and I've got a mouse inside the ceiling. Not on the roof, but directly on the ceiling panel. Heard it last night in the bedroom and this morning further back toward the living room.

Doesn't seem logical for a mouse to go from the basement or living area up to the ceiling, especially with what we loaded into the trailer in the past week. And I can't see how a mouse could get on the roof to enter from above. And then once on the roof, how to get into the ceiling? I've come up with two possibilities. At the A/C, maybe chewing thru the gasket and then thru the A/C duct. Or at the refrigerator roof vent (the kitchen grey tank vent pipe is also under the vent and maybe CR didn't seal around that pipe).

Anyway, help me solve this mystery.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Put a cat in the ceiling. OK, how about one of those ultrasonic pest controls you plug into an outlet? It won't kill them but maybe chase them out.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Find a vent, speaker, or other opening cut in ceiling panels that is easy to remove. "Stickie Traps" baited w/ PB & nuts that has a cord(s) attached. Place baited stickie traps thru opening(s.) Hungry Mice will become stuck & easily removed after "traped." Attached cord(s) keeps "Stickie Trap" where you can reach instead of Mice draging out of reach to spoil & stink.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
Now, if I have your attention, maybe you have another perspective that will get me to the right answers. #1 The obvious question is how do mice get inside the trailer? #2 How can they get into the ceiling?

My Cruiser has been inside my steel RV garage for 2 months, now 2nd night on the road and I've got a mouse inside the ceiling. Not on the roof, but directly on the ceiling panel. Heard it last night in the bedroom and this morning further back toward the living room.

Doesn't seem logical for a mouse to go from the basement or living area up to the ceiling, especially with what we loaded into the trailer in the past week. And I can't see how a mouse could get on the roof to enter from above. And then once on the roof, how to get into the ceiling? I've come up with two possibilities. At the A/C, maybe chewing thru the gasket and then thru the A/C duct. Or at the refrigerator roof vent (the kitchen grey tank vent pipe is also under the vent and maybe CR didn't seal around that pipe).

Anyway, help me solve this mystery.
A few years back when we were dry camped in the fall for our annual hunting trip, we were plagued with mice that year.
Barb and I spent quite a bit of time removing every drawer, opening every cupboard and removing what was inside. This exposed all the holes that were made when the unit was built. (and there was a lot of them)
We went to town and I got a package of steel wool and some expanding spray foam. I then filled all the big holes with steel wool, and foamed the others. I then went outside and went over the frame area and sealed everything I could find out there. There is and area around/by the rear bumper that had a pretty good opening also. We have now camped in the same place in the same way for a number of mouse free years.
They can still get in the front storage compartment, it's impossible to seal that, but I keep a couple baited traps waiting in there for them, and check them daily.

I think it's totally possible for them to gain access to the ceiling by going up the walls in some areas where the holes were made for this that or the other thing. I don't know of any RV manufacture that is bashful or, discreet when it comes to making holes to run something.

I think Alchemistic has a good idea.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I like Lloyds bucket idea.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
I like Lloyds bucket idea.

I use that in the storage building.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:50 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Put a cat in the ceiling. OK, how about one of those ultrasonic pest controls you plug into an outlet? It won't kill them but maybe chase them out.
As long as it's not a cat like ours - she is a terrible mouser, as shown by this video I took of her and put on YouTube:

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:59 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

A lot of issues stem from underbelly of any unit. There are alway small holes they can get in. Ive had to plug up area of fresh water tank discharge. about 1-2 in gap. I use steel wool. I use it in plumbing areas into/in unit. But my kitchen island has pump at the bottom, which is slightly above the floor, which last drawer is. Trying to figure that area out yet, lol. Storage areas the same. The buggers can climb, also get in a hole as small as a beer bottle opening!! also saw a product called Great Stuff made by Dow. Not sure if they sell that in US, its a yellow/green spray insulation, and has pestblock written on can.
Canucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:12 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I appreciate all the inputs and understand the many holes thru the floor and ez access to the basement. But I think any mouse would still be smart enough to stay in the basement (with 30 lbs of dog food) or inside the coach with other goodies rather than leave that stuff behind for the ceiling.

Went looking for access points to the ceiling and was suprised. In my old Cruiser, drop the inside vent cover or shower skylight and there was direct access. But in the newer unit, CR has full wood blocking and no access. So only holes big enough for mouse traps were the speaker cutouts. And sticky traps are about the only ones small enough to fit and work inside the ceiling. I added some mouse bait in the center of them, also had to put a few spacers beside the trap to keep the fiberglas insulation from contacting the trap. Will check them later today and again tomorrow.

Still don't know how mice can get in the ceiling, but that will have to wait til we get home in Aug.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
As long as it's not a cat like ours - she is a terrible mouser
I keep my trailer in a carport in the back yard guarded by my female Dachshund (black & tan). The male (red & white) could care less about small animals, though he will sometimes act like he is going to chase one. Holly, on the other hand, has killed about a dozen mice, plus numerous moles and voles. She's also killed 3 birds, one of them she chased down while it was in flight. She also killed a few bees until a bumblebee stung he in the mouth in April. Now she leaves them alone.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Kemp
I think you should ask Loneoak if they want Holly to give their cat some lessons....
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:20 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Kemp
I think you should ask Loneoak if they want Holly to give their cat some lessons....
The biggest problem with that Tommy, is that cats rank right up there with squirrels in her mind. If you say "Squirrel!" around her she reacts just like the dogs in the movie UP.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:20 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

My female outside cat is a bigtime moler! She also catches squirrels and birds. She is quite the hunter.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 06-07-2015, 06:47 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
My female outside cat is a bigtime moler! She also catches squirrels and birds. She is quite the hunter.
My sister-in-law has two outside cats and they are both hunters...They bring everything they kill back to her house and leave it in the drive-way...They have brought back everything from snakes to small rabbits...AWSOME...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Yep...they all end up on my front porch. Drives the wife crazy.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 06-07-2015, 04:42 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

magic sheets

I am unsure how to get rid of the mouse in the ceiling but I have found something that does keep mice out of our unit. I use to find mice droppings in my camper for the first couple years I had a camper. Someone told us to use fabric sheets in drawers and places that mice would hide. We have placing fabric sheets in closets, drawers and various other places. We have not seen any evidence of mice since we starting doing this. I know it sounds weird, but it has worked for us.
Jamestn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Yes, I heard of that also. Also heard of antifreeze in a dish on floor at storage time. But I guess if it works, they just survive for a bit and die somewhere in unit. I've had them in furnace floor runs also, so I put chicken wire I believe its called, folded neatly in vents along with a trap or 2 in them and secured vents. Vent holes are big enough for them, lol!
Old 06-09-2015, 04:24 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

A couple owners at my storage facility dry laundry detergent around the the base of each tire and tongue jack. Guess the little guys hate the smell.

To treat an already infested trailer, I'd call in a professional for what it's worth. They can do real damage when nesting.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #19
New Camper

Folks, I use "Fresh Cab, Botanical Rodent Repellent" made by Fresh Kind. Works for me. I place a packet in each basement area. Even the squirrels will bypass the camper.

john
Chief2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:31 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

going to get steel wool at dollar store, went under unit at home and found 8 places where power lines come in thru frame/belly area. Then i will tackle storage areas, and yes tire area is trouble spot too, lol. Bro in law sets traps in storage areas and gets a 5-6 in a week parked at campsites.