Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2015, 08:29 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Microwave Circuit Short/Cruiser Aire 5th

Have a short somewhere in the circuit to the Microwave. Unplugged the microwave and even disconnected the plug from the wiring and still kicks the breaker. The area the wiring wood run is in a slide, pretty much the wiring runs behind the paneling and under the slide. Unit was manufactured in 2012 and is a 30' Cruiser Aire 5th wheel. I believe a CFL28***. I can get the exact if needed.

Curious before I start tearing into things, has anybody had a similar problem. I have a feeling there may be a junction box in the circuit, connecting stranded wire and insulated romex . Romex is located at the wall plug. I reached down and could feel something metal a couple of inches down. Could be a connector or some type of wire strap. Not sure if they problem could be where the slide would pivot/move . Looked real quick but did not see any thing obvious.

Looking for some thoughts and similar issues to narrow it down. Have some access from the large under floor cabinet next to the door. Breaker takes a couple of seconds to trip. Microwave will light up. I doubt a weak breaker problem but I will check and rule it out. Camper has been towed about 30k plus, so I'm sure there is something could have rubbed or worked loose enough to make contact.

Yes, the breaker has been left in the "off" position for now. Any input would be very much appreciated.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Under your slide there should be a couple of Junction boxes. Open them up and check all the connections. Usually people get water in these and it trips the GFI but you may have a different issue.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Stan, I will give it a look over. Just have a feeling, that this will not be an easy fix.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I had a similar problem on my Rushmore and the problem turned out to be a bad connection in a junction box near the kitchen slide. Easy fix. Stripped back the wire and installed a new wire nut of correct size and voila! No more problems.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

For what ever reason the circuit stopped shorting out. I had the problem originally when I was stuck in Mo. during the last snow/icy rain storm. My rear levelers also stopped working, but starting working again after a few days. I remember the switch was covered with ice.

Back to the original problem with the shorting. I turned the breaker on this weekend and everything worked fine. I could follow the wires somewhat in the slide, when I pulled the lower drawers out. Underneath the slide looks good. Didn't check when it goes into the lower belly of the unit or looked behind the breaker box for now.

Prior to opening up the belly tarp like material. I notice service techs, made a cut to gain access to repair a piping issue and use a black tape to reseal the cut. Not sure what kind of tape it is? Looks stronger them your normal duct type tape. Would appreciate if somebody can give me some insight on the type/brand of tape it is.

For now I keep the breaker shut off when not in use.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Probably Gorilla tape. Strong stuff

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #7
Site Team

Some use gorilla tape. It does seem to be superior to duck tape.

When I opened mine, I contacted my dealer and asked what they used for the job. They sent me about 10 ft. of the same tape that they use when they open the membrane. What I have used so far seems to be superior to anything else I have tried.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote