Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Microwave not vented to the outside?

We normally only use our microwave for small items -- nuking some veggies, make hot water for tea or coffee, etc. Basically, all short duration cooking jobs.

Today, DW nuked up some noodles and sauce -- about 12 minutes cook time on high. About 2/3 of the way through the cook time, I noticed the interior of the glass door was totally fogged over. I took a quick trip outside and, yep, no air coming out of the outside vent.

I turned on the exhaust fan which I know vents outside but it didn't draw out any warm air from the microwave.

Is the microwave NOT vented outdoors in these Crossroads travel trailers? I don't have the installation instructions but aren't they supposed to be vented somewhere???

(I have the HCT-26RB if my signature isn't visible.)

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Through your description, it sounds like the blower motor on the back side of this unit needs to be rotated 90 degrees. These units are configured for 'homes' ....not RVs. However, really not a problem, because before the unit is installed, the blower is turned to exhaust the heat out the back instead of the top.
A service tech would first unplug.....take out the two bolts that hold the unit in place. (It will take 2 people to take it off). Once the unit is down, remove the panel on the backside. There are usually 2 screws that hold the blower assembly...back those out then remove it and turn to the correct direction. Then replace screws.
While the unit is out, the tech would verify that the vent hole on the back wall is clear and has no obstruction for the hot air to escape.
Hope this can shed some light on a possible cure!

Lady E Cooper
Mobile RV Academy

Full-timers: Evada & Terry Cooper
Big Max - 2013 F350 King Ranch 4x4 DRW
Lady Redwood - 2016 39MB - Wine Bar Option
Crossroads / Redwood Regional Rally Coordinator
Rallies@MobileRVAcademy.com
Lady E & the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
Gone Traveling

Look into the outside vent & make sure the mv vent lines up, some have had them misaligned & the one on the mv wouldn't/couldn't open. My buddies was mialigned & just used pliers & pulled out the mv flapper.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Look into the outside vent & make sure the mv vent lines up, some have had them misaligned & the one on the mv wouldn't/couldn't open. My buddies was mialigned & just used pliers & pulled out the mv flapper.
What is a "mv"?

Also, I did look into the outside vent and the only thing visible is the electrical connection for the range vent fan. No connection to the microwave exhaust is visible.

Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
Old 04-13-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady E & the Professor View Post
Through your description, it sounds like the blower motor on the back side of this unit needs to be rotated 90 degrees. These units are configured for 'homes' ....not RVs. However, really not a problem, because before the unit is installed, the blower is turned to exhaust the heat out the back instead of the top.
A service tech would first unplug.....take out the two bolts that hold the unit in place. (It will take 2 people to take it off). Once the unit is down, remove the panel on the backside. There are usually 2 screws that hold the blower assembly...back those out then remove it and turn to the correct direction. Then replace screws.
While the unit is out, the tech would verify that the vent hole on the back wall is clear and has no obstruction for the hot air to escape.
Hope this can shed some light on a possible cure!

Lady E Cooper
Mobile RV Academy
Thanks for this information. So, the High Pointe microwaves are NOT meant to be vented outside on this model RV?

Old 04-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #6
Site Team

I've had about 5 rv's and not one of them vented the microwave to the outside. But......it's always a possibility that some models do. Look at the top of the microwave, if it is vented inside, there will be vents on the top to blow the air into the rv. You also should be able to hold your hand there to feel air movement.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:15 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I actually located another CR owner here in my office's RV park who has a similar model travel trailer.

We determined that the microwave vents to the inside of the RV through a series of vents located at the top of the microwave mount. The holes in the interior of the microwave simply vent into the space behind the microwave and are forced out and above the microwave through the slit vents.

There is no microwave venting to the exterior of the RV.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

The solution is to turn the range vent on when using the microwave for extended cooking. It will take care of moisture and odor.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote