Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Well we got our new unit all winterized, slides in and set for Winter. Went back a week later and found that a Mouse or so had taken up residence.

We had taken all food items out, except for my spice rack and a missed snack sized ziplock of flour (which is how I noticed we had company..flour on the counter top).

Hmm we said, we had not expected this since our unit has the polar package and is sealed underside. So we asked about the campground and were told to ~~

1~get some spray foam and seal all INSIDE drain/water line areas, as well as the outside ones,

2~any other entry spots we should wrap or stuff steel wool around/in.,

3~put out dryer sheets aplenty

4~sprinkle decon under the trailer

5~remove any trace of any food item and paper product

6~put some decon in undersink cabinets

7~take all bedding/towels/blankets/rugs etc and put them in the uppermost cabinets in the bedroom

Is there anything we are missing?

We are not a skirted unit as we have a fiberglass body and still have not figured out how we really want to make it look finished w/o attaching to that fiberglass body.

THANKS in Advance for your seasoned wisdom!

Lynn & Steve

2011 Hampton HT39FE
spa4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Get those bags of D-Con mouse pellets and place them along walls in all the rooms. Make sure there is no water source for the mice inside the trailer. The pellets swell with water inside the mice to kill them sowhat happens is they eat the pellets and go outside to drink and die. We also sprinkle moth balls around the underside of the trailer as a deterrent. Just don't put any inside because the smell will last forever. Good luck.

08 F250 PSD Super Duty

08 Kingston KF30SB
Caledonia Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Linda and Steve - my sister stores her 5th wheel on a farm - inside an old storage shed. She fought mice for years. Last year she came on a product called Mouse Magic - there are little packets (of something) that smell minty (at least to me). She claims that they work wonders and last year was the first year that she had no mice. In addition to all the other things you do, this seems to work. We are trying the product this year.

The product is made by Bonide: http://www.bonideproducts.com/lbonide/SalesFlyers/Mouse_Magic.pdf

I am not affiliated with this product - hope it works for you (and us).

Byron & Gail

Chisago City MN
Byron & Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:38 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Peppermint oil extract is the chemical, they aren't big fans of the oil. I removed all dead panels on mine and used low expansion Great Stuff sealer at the plumbing runs especially the 8"x8" hole they cut for the pump, water line, and HW bypass area. Another hole was at the power cable/converter location, the wiring runs to the underside the trailer via a 4" hole. I did this last year with great success. In the front access door near your battery there are open holes behind the battery that run to the underside, seal those puppies up, too!

The glue traps work great if you can check on the trailer a few times a week. Once winter sets they are generally NOT needed. It is the fall that sees the greatest mouse activity as they nest for the winter and make babies!!!
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:54 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

On the peppermint oil extract - after I posted the comment about the mouse extract, I went to my brides potting shed. She has a product that is used to deter squirells from getting into the bird feeders. To me it smells that same - the mouse packets are $9.99 for 4 of them. The squirell bottle is $5.99 and is a spray..afterall, a squirell is a rat with a big tail isn't it? And the squirell spray does work.

B & g

Chisago City MN
Byron & Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:45 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

If you are going to use the expanding foam to seal the trailer off put some steel wool in place first then foam around it. Mice and rats will chew through the foam, I have seen them do it.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thank you all so much! I will show dear hubby these notes when he gets in.

He will be stopping by the camper in a couple of days... we'll see what he finds!

Hopefully nothing!

2011 Hampton HT39FE
spa4me is offline   Reply With Quote