Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2020, 07:39 PM   #21
New Camper

Another victim of the musty smell I'll be tryiyng the amonia for a few days,is it pure amonia or some cleaning amonia which is like 10% amonia,would it be better to go with more tins to cover all cabinets and more space??
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:01 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

When not using our unit my wife puts dryer sheets in all the cabinets and everywhere. We also have 6 damp dry containers out and a small dehumidifier that we run. We had had a moldy smell at the beginning after we bought ours and it set for a while. We may over kill some but it seems to smell fresh now.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:37 PM   #23
Site Team

Another product to try for odor control is Bamboo Charcoal. It's available in different sizes. I used them in the Rv and they work pretty well. I purchased mine on Amazon.

Here is one example: https://www.amazon.com/Marsheepy-Upg...202580&sr=8-26

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:41 PM   #24
New Camper

where can you buy ammonia is it pure or a cleaner type in Canada?
Old 06-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #25
Site Team

I don't know about Canada, but here in the states we can buy it at any grocery store.
Just get the plain ammonia. Don't need the scented or anything fancy.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:48 PM   #26
New Camper

So did the ammonia for 3 days at +30 degrees C with the heat on set at 37 degrees and still smelly,did somebody get an answer from Crossroad for the cause of the musty smell?The smell seems to come from the wood they used to build the RV's?Next step I ordered the ozone purifier hopefully that helps.,
Old 07-06-2020, 03:36 AM   #27
New Camper

Wow. I can't believe I'm reading this by accident. We have the same musty smell in our 2016 crossroads Z1. Our plastic cups take on the odor. It's completely unreal. As new campers we thought it was an outdoorsy thing. So disappointed to read how stupid we really are indeed.
Jasele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #28
New Camper

Did somebody made a claim to crossroad regarding this issue and got results?,We bought that used camper thinking it was just a smell from being park for a while,I read on some site the smell comes from a cheaper quality pressed board they used to build these rv's.If it sticks to plastic not sure if it's too healthy,if we push the issue maybe we could get something back from crossroad??
Old 07-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #29
New Camper

Jasele by the way same for me and my wife new campers thinking same as you guys sorry to hear !!
Old 07-06-2020, 08:38 PM   #30
New Camper

I bet it's that particle board. I started spraying and wiping everything with vinegar , baking soda and water.
Jasele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:35 AM   #31
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk1998 View Post
I would recommend installing a couple of Max Air roof vent covers, that way you can keep the roof vent open a little and get some fresh air movement at all times. We did that when we purchased our unit and have not had any odor issues.
nice advice
jacinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:46 PM   #32
New Camper

When you bought the new camper did it had the musty smell?Is that the reason you installed the max air vents?Does anybody as the contact info for cross road we need to push the issue?
Old 07-07-2020, 07:59 PM   #33
Site Team

I have the Max Air Vents on all our roof vents. Allows you to have ventilation when it is raining. We keep the bathroom vent open all the time. Also helps with moisture control.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:09 PM   #34
New Camper

Didn't get any luck with the crossroad dealer,did the vinegar ,soda do the job Jasele?One site somebody mentioned they took everything out of there camper and sprayed a wood sealer inside the cabinets and all the wood that as no finish and that really helped,did somebody on this forum tried a sealer?