Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

- So I pulled my Cruiser out today to bring it home to prep for my first outing of the year this weekend.

- Everything was fine until I went extend the landing gear to raise the 5vr to level.

- It got half way up and the gears started "slipping and clicking". I didn't want it to break, so I lowered it back down onto my truck and took it to the dealer.

- I didn't want to leave it in my driveway in case I couldn't raise it back up.

- Any thoughts on what's wrong???
- All help is greatly appreciated!!

MONTE1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Doesn't sound good for sure. What did the dealer say?

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

We just got our trailer back in April from having the same issue fixed among others. They had to replace the motor and gearbox on our landing gear.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

- They're looking at it tomorrow.
- I've had to replace the "shear pins" on both the drive leg and the opposite leg in the last year and a half.

- I'm thinking I'll need a gearbox at a minimum. I honestly don't think I'll be camping this weekend!?!?!?

Old 05-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

We had a landing gear issue on our trip to Alaska a couple years ago. First thing we noticed is the gear box had failed, found one in Anchorage but it still didn't work just right but functioned. When we got homeI disassembled and found the worm gear in the rt leg was binding in the nut. This is all internal in the leg. So this is probably the reason for the gear box failure.
Next isssue was it was an obsolete model so had to upgrade which ment a whole new system because the ratio in the new is different than the old. Heavier duty.
Price not that bad tho and problems should be over with landing gear.
I believe this was an attwood system.
good luck
Dennis

cruzr4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Dennis, they put a more heavy duty motor and gearbox on ours and it is a huge improvement of the stock unit. It moves much faster now and does not strain like the stocker did.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

- Hopefully they can do that with mine!??!

- I hope to hear from them today...
Old 05-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

just got mine back fron the shop.
the mechanic told me that there is a nut and washer on the leg on the motor sideand from raising the landing gear too tight, the washer "cups", the result is that "slipping" action until finally the leg will go down but not up. therefore do NOT raise the legs up to the "stop"....leave about an inch. Hopefully, that is your problem.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Mine did the same thing before this trip. I bent one of the legs causing the gears to strip. I ended replacing the landing gear with 2 single legs much stronger than the orig. It cost just a little more than replacing the oirg landing gear.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:38 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee
just got mine back fron the shop.

the mechanic told me that there is a nut and washer on the leg on the motor sideand from raising the landing gear too tight, the washer "cups", the result is that "slipping" action until finally the leg will go down but not up. therefore do NOT raise the legs up to the "stop"....leave about an inch. Hopefully, that is your problem.

- That sounds like what I experienced!

- I raise my legs each time tight to the point where the painy "overspray" is.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I raised my gear to the top then lowered it about 1 inch. I cleaned the leg and put a wrap of black electrical tape to mark the position. Then when I raise my legs I always leave a small amount of leg showing so I know I have not raised then too far. I also marked the max lower by putting some masking tape of the leg about two inches down when the leg is fully extended and painting the rest of the leg that is showing with black paint. When I see black I know I can not go down any more.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

- I don't know how, but the dealer didn't find anything wrong?
- I went today to see WTF, and sure enough it didn't do it!?!?!

- Oh well, it's my last time with it anyways...http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...s.asp?TID=5002

- Thanks for the all the help and tips!!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Sounds like the same problems that I had. from day 1. Could not raise the legs to get the truck on, had to use 2 small hand jacks, took it back to the dealer twice, and they could not find anything wrong, it worked when it was there. A year later, after the help of Crossroads it was fixed under waranty. Still got the problem, in CA the repairman said it was the gear box, so fixed it. Now this year 2012 fed up with worrying about hooking up after each stay. Took it in and had the whole thing replaced at my cost heavy duty legs, only to find out that under the warrant fix they replaced the motor with a 1999 motor, my unit is 2006, how they expected an older motor would work better than a 2006, is beyond me. So moral of the story is make sure the work done under waranty is done right and that depends on each independed dealer. I will take the old motor back and drop it off at their door. I would trade my unit in too but it is not worth anything. it is worth only half of what I paid for it. Goodluck with your problem
cgaucho1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

my crosroads is a 2012 model and the landing gear has a shutoffcontact to stop the landing gear and avoid the problem I believe you are talking about. It comes with the new auto leveling system.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/LKiJ0wbMCLI
Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
New Camper

What brand and model of gear did you buy?
articrob is offline   Reply With Quote