Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
New Camper

I have a 2006 R Vision TRAIL SPORT 22QB with the Atwood TP3 SS Convertor/charger

I have a Battery Drain/Open Circuit somewhere. I first sensed something wrong when the Radio came on all by itself after I had shut it off hours before. This only happens when plugged into 110 and its not on a timer or alarm. When I attach the battery cable it sparks, telling me something is drawing power. It alos does this at the Power Cord plugging into the 110 outlet by my garage, however it doesn't spark at the battery when plugged into shore power. Anyway, I went through ALL the fuses, one at a time pulling them and discovered one that power the radio and a light, and one that powers the furnace, gave a spark at the fuse itself when I put it back in. Even with these fuses pulled AND the breakers off (110 only right?), it still sparks at the battery post when connecting the battery. Even if I pull ALL the fuses, even the one in the Propane sniffer (1v)
I fully charged my battery, left it disconnected for a day or so and it still registered 12v. After I attached it to the trailer (with all fuses back in)it drained a little but seemed to stabilize about 11.79. An hour and a half latter is was at 3.75 The charger seems to be working because when it was at 12v I plugged it into the 110 and it went up to about 13.75
I can't figure out what to do. There is no fuses blowing and I even checked the ground cable on the frame. Any suggestions?

Holy Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

If there is any draw on the battery it will give off a small spark. I have a propane detector that is "on" all the time and will drain the battery in a week or so. Not sure if the fridge draws 12v when off or not. Don't know about the radio coming on by itself. I use a battery disconnect whenever the rig is not being used to keep the battery from going down. Good luck.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Let's see. Propane detector, CO2 detector, smoke detector, radio, TV(maybe), thermostat for AC, fridge(if on), electric door lock, Intellijacks (if equipped), any remote control (receiver).

And the list goes on......
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
New Camper

Like I mentioned, I pulled ALL the fuses, and even shut the breakers off, even though I believe they are only relative to 110 power.

This is a Basic Trailer and doesn't even have an electric start for the water heater, so I'm a little confused at what is drawing. Like I also mentioned, the fuse that controls the radio when plugged into fuse box sparks, but that's understandable because of the LED back light, but the Furnace Fuse does the same. Even if either of these were on, the battery shouldn't drain in just an hour or so, and I don't believe its the battery because t also did it with a Battery Booster Pack I have. Still trying different things I know to do and am open to sugestions
Holy Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Follow the line from the battery to the converter and disconnect it from the converter and see if it still sparks. That would eliminate a pinched wire from battery to converter if it doesn't spark. Look at the schematic for the converter and see if you can isolate it from from the battery and leave all the rest of the 12v stuff hooked up. The converter itself could be the problem.

You really need an ammeter to see how much current is being drawn.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

How old is battery? Just a thought to try a different one or get that one load tested.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote