Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to New Trailer Mom
I'm going to be purchasing a Sunset Trails ST30, Â*We have a Ford F150 4x4 5.4L with 3.73 axle ratio and it has the tow package. Â*I'm going to need the break controler installed, a weight distribution hitch and anti sway. Â*Any Feedback on what brands are the best would be greatly appreciated.
My dealer said he could put all this on for about $691.00, I'm not sure on what brands yet. Â*I'm not sure if I need any thing else, This is all new to me. Â*We do already have the 7 wire harness and receiver on the truck and upgraded radiator and auxiliary transmission oil cooler and 72 amp battery. Â*Whats your thoughts? Â*Thank you
Old 03-22-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

There are many controllers on the market but as far as brake controllers are concerned, you can't go wrong with a Prodigy. I have one and it works effortlessly. It's a very popular controller because it works by using an electronic pendulum. When you apply your TV brakes, the Prodigy applies power to the trailer brakes proportional to the deceleration rate of the TV. This provides a smooth slowing of the trailer without pushing or pulling the TV. Whenproperly setup, theProdigy willbrake the trailer in such a way that you won't evenknow thatthe trailer is behind the TV.When you arebraking yourTV and trailer, you'll find thatbraking effort in the brake pedal is no different than when you're not hitched to the trailer. Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:37 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree with Hamops about the Prodigy controller. Once you get it setup up correctly for your trailer you will hardly know it is back there when you stop. I had to readjust mine when we went from our old Cruiser to the Paradise Pointe because of the weight difference.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:04 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I think Draw Tight has the same controler and it might be a little cheaper. We use a prodigy as well but a friend bought a draw tight and it is the same thing.

Most hitches will be about the same I would get the weight dist and a sway bar.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:39 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

Please take this advice - go online to www.rvwholesalers.com and price out the Prodigy P3 and Equalizer Brand 4-point hitch/sway control. The Equalizer brand integrates sway and WD into one bar on either side and is mader here in America by a company that cares about its customers.

RVW at last check would ship both to you for under $600....... If you know how to use a box wrench, measuring tape, level and socket set you can install the hitch. It has a detailed instructions (with pictures!) on how to do it. The Prodigy is plug-n-play for the F150, your truck already has the plug just order the matching harness for the prodigy through RVW...
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:16 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I am another fan of the Prodigy. I went from a 30' TT to a 30' 5er and had no problems with it. I also had the Reese Equalizing hitch and sway and once adjusted properly worked great. I will caution that once the sway and hitch bars are set up by the dealer, still use driving caution until you know for a fact that they work in all driving and wind conditions. I had to fine tune the adjustments (hitch chain position and sway tightness) for the TT until I was comfortable in high winds and on rough roads.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:58 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

The p-3 is a up grade of the prodigy and I believe easier to set up and use. The plug and play connector is the same .
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:03 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

My vote is for Prodigy and Equal-I-Zer. I've noticed better sway control than with my previous Reese WD hitch with separate sway bar. Prodigy's very easy to self-install.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:47 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Trailer Mom
I'm going to be purchasing a Sunset Trails ST30, We have a Ford F150 4x4 5.4L with 3.73 axle ratio and it has the tow package.

If you have the tow package then you won't need the brake controller. Do you have an indicator on the dash for the tow package? If you do it will show a RED trailer when you start up which will then go away after a short while. If you are hooked up it will show a green trailer. This should be to the right and below the steering wheel on the dash.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:53 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to New Trailer Mom
Thank you for the info, Â*I think I'm going to go with the prodigy break controller and equalizer hitch.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Great choice

See my signature (P3 is the upgrade to the prodigy with better graphics & extras you will not need).

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:53 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

I know this is an old thread but I have just learned something about the Equalizer 4 way hitch that may be some help to other TT owners. I had a problem with my TT and the dealer Jayhawk Camper in Kansas City Ks. did me a good job on getting all parts under warranty. He would have installed them but I wanted to do my own thing since I am retired and have the time. But now back to the orig. thread about Hitches. While at the dealer we talked about hitches and he was sold on the Equalizer 4 way hitch and that is the one that I have. Only problem with this hitch is the noise when turning, and grease is a mess to use. He advised me of the teflon bushing that will do away with the noise and is made by Equalizer. I purchased a set at $20.00 and have yet to use them, but they seem like a good idea. A friend of mine uses teflon bushing on his FW for about 5 years with no problem. Anyone got any info. on these bushing??? Thanks Robbie
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Robbie,

Teflon is a good insulator and does a good job in a lot of cases replacing grease. Just remember that teflon wears quickly under stress. If it works well for you then get another set as a replacement when they wear out, and they will wear out. Glad to hear a dealer working so well with a customer. We have heard many good things about Jayhawk on the forum.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote