Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Need New Carpet

There I was, no crap, true story. Got my first travel trailer last winter. Cleaned it all winter long. Rug Doctored the carpets on Wednesday evening. Set out on our maiden voyage on Friday. Opened up the door and the smell of cat urine about overpowered us. Guess what...the previous owner had cats. That stayed in the camper. That peed on the carpet. Disgusting vile creatures they are.

Anyway, I digress. Apparently the Rug Doctor brought out the cat pee, which had apparently been cleverly concealed. Upon getting home today, I pulled out the table, bench seating, and couch. Cat urine stained carpet and pad have been removed.

On to the question. Do I go back to CrossRoads to ship a piece of carpet, or do I go to Home Depot, cut it to fit, and find someone to bind the end of the carpet that needs it.

Thanks all.

Setting out for new family adventures from Des Moines, Iowa

2006 Crossroads Zinger 32 QBS
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
JasonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Can't help with the carpet. But on my last trip I saw an older couple who had probably the fluffiest cat I ever seen. He groomed that damn cat for a solid hour! I cannot imagine having a cat in the camper!

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Much more cost effective and quicker to buy replacement carpet locally. You can pick the color and style you like. Check all the carpet shops for their remnants. The local shops will likely be able to do the binding as well. The only place binding is needed is for the slide-out carpet edge. Make sure you pull up all the small staples used to secure the old carpet. Also, while you are at this stage, buy some Reflectix type foil insulation to put on the slide-out floor before installing the carpet. It doesn't provide a lot of insulation, but it is still better than having no insulation in the slide-out.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

A friend of ours removed all the carpet from his motor home and installed laminate flooring instead. I cannot understand why RV manufacturers insist on putting carpet in RVs. When you are camping, you usually bring more of the outdoors in and hard surface flooring is so much easier to keep clean.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Because carpet is cheaper and quicker

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
Site Team

Look local. I'm sure you could fine someone to bind the edges.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
Can't help with the carpet. But on my last trip I saw an older couple who had probably the fluffiest cat I ever seen. He groomed that damn cat for a solid hour! I cannot imagine having a cat in the camper!
We have had a cat in our camper for the past six years, first one cat, and after she passed away, another. Most cats are very clean and use a litter box. Any smell is therefore the fault of the owner who does not clean out the litter box. Our cats never smelled bad or peed outside the box.

We have friends who have a large dog in their camper and every time you walk in there, all you can smell is dog.

So please don't put down cats in campers. So many people keep dogs in theirs, so what is wrong with a cat? At least they don't disturb neighboring campers with barking.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:25 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

We just replaced our carpet due to wore out. We got this Instabind and followed the instructions and it worked great. The binding on our original carpet was coming loose anyway. I don't know how it will hold up, but it seems really good and looks good.

http://www.installerstore.com/Instab...t-Binding.html

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:16 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
We have had a cat in our camper for the past six years, first one cat, and after she passed away, another. Most cats are very clean and use a litter box. Any smell is therefore the fault of the owner who does not clean out the litter box. Our cats never smelled bad or peed outside the box.

We have friends who have a large dog in their camper and every time you walk in there, all you can smell is dog.

So please don't put down cats in campers. So many people keep dogs in theirs, so what is wrong with a cat? At least they don't disturb neighboring campers with barking.
Never fails that someone gets sensitive anytime pets are brought up. Enjoy your cat. I have four. They are outside cats and that is where they will stay.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 04-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thanks all for your advice. Aside from the argument on whether livestock belongs inside or outside (you decide), your posts were very helpful. I'll share what I learned in case anyone else ever comes across this one.

Diamond Trail RV is seven miles directly south of my house. They do in fact install carpet in Travel Trailers...at a premium. They outsource it to a store in Winterset, Iowa 23 miles southwest of my house. They no longer do binding, so that store outsources it to a store in Des Moines, which is 18 miles northeast of my house. Expected wait time - 3 weeks.

My Solution? Go to Lowe's, buy a piece of carpet for $100. Cut carpet using old cat pee stained for a template. Take carpet to Des Moines for binding for $50. Install carpet. Scotch Guard carpet. Expected wait time, 1 week and a heck of a lot less money.

On another note, I would never put down a cat in a camper. I would have to replace the carpet again. Sorry....couldn't resist!

Setting out for new family adventures from Des Moines, Iowa

2006 Crossroads Zinger 32 QBS
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
JasonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
Site Team

Sounds like a plan.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonE View Post
On another note, I would never put down a cat in a camper. I would have to replace the carpet again. Sorry....couldn't resist!
Yep...best way is out in the yard.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 04-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #13
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Home depot does carpet binding
And yes I understand about some people s
Pets. That is up to them
Just don't take them where they don't belong