Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
New Camper

New camper, new leaks

Hey everyone, we had torrential rains recently in Texas so I took it as a good time to take our Elevation 3410 out this weekend and test it out. When we first set up and extended the bedroom slide I found the carpet was moist under the protective plastic we had not taken off the carpet yet. once I pulled it up, it was only moist in a small area pretty much under where the slide comes in. Then as we were leaving, my wife saw a trickle on the floor coming off the rear side of the main slide. This is my first slide out RV, is there anything I should do before contacting for repair? I got in the bedroom and had my wife clsoe the slide. I did not see any gaps or see anything out of place. I looked at the main slide from the outside and also did not see anything out of place ( I did not have anything to get up high enough to see the top).
Thanks,
Brian
blackgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Hi Brian, I'm new to trailers but am learning fast. Absent a structural leak or bad seal somewhere I know that if you have a slide out and your trailer is not level, it will tilt the slide roof back toward the trailer allowing rain water to drain back in instead of away from your trailer. So make sure it is level. Easy mistake to make at home as my friend did after returning from a trip.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Check the seals all the way around and as Steve said it's very important to be level. Check this stuff first.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Check in and around all you marker/ running lights on the outside. Seal the top of the light fixture with caulk.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #5
Site Team

Do you by any chance have slide toppers on your rig?
A lot of the group has found that these have helped to keep the water out.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #6
New Camper

Ok. I am pretty confident that the camper was not fully level. I was a little out of the bubble as I dropped the legs fully, then raised from there. I was not able to lower the 5th w heel enough in the front to even it out but got (fairly) close. I do have the seal conditioner but didn't use it this weekend because of the rain. The front leak seemed to be while the front slide was in because as soon as I opened it I saw the dampness.
Thanks for the replies!
Brian
Old 11-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #7
New Camper

No I don't have slide toppers and I did notice that since when we tore down, it was raining. I did let in some water when I brought the slides in. Are those easy/cheap to add?
Thanks,
Brian
Old 11-02-2015, 05:36 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgold View Post
No I don't have slide toppers and I did notice that since when we tore down, it was raining. I did let in some water when I brought the slides in. Are those easy/cheap to add?
Thanks,
Brian
You can get water from putting slide in and out while it is raining too. Seals only work when fully in or out.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgold View Post
Thanks,
Brian
I had mine installed when we ordered the camper. I've never installed one, so can't answer as to (easy). As far as --cheap-- they're probably cheaper then replacing carpet or walls damaged by water. Also, the possibility of mold.

They also will help with keeping that slide out cooler in the summer when the sun is beating on it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote