Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
New Camper

In the next 12 mons. give or take a few i plan on buying a class c rv but with all that is out there for info i am really confused-fiberglass or rubber roof -cruise america sells there rentals but the people that rent them don't know or probabley don't care about operating one properly and the mileage is 80k to 100k -i wonder if i wouldn't be better off buying from a private party with way less miles-(CAN"T AFFORD NEW) and take the chance that they would give me the straight scoop on their rv-I am hoping to be in the 20 -25 k range money wise and i'd think that would buy something to treasure for our golden years of traveling-Any input would be appreciated--Rich
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

You may want to research the snow bird areas as many of them must sell their equipment due to health problems. One of my sisters now unable to handle their 5th wheel on the road and then setting it up at night has become a major problem so they purchased a park model in Texas as someone was no longer able to travel and they got a very good deal. They are now selling their 5th wheel and I think they have under priced it. Its a 2004 Flagstaff 29 ft RL in great shape and has been pulled maybe 4 times to Texas (about 1000 miles each way) and 1 trip to Ut. and 1 trip to SD, They live north of Kansas City, Mo. Sure hate to see them sell it as they were fun to travel with. I have offered to set it up for them at night while on the road but they feel their driving pulling the trailer is not good. I guess we will all get to that point at some time. Good luck in finding what you want. Robbie
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Here's what I can offer. The Cruise America ones typically do not have an awning or any slides (more stuff for renters to break) and they probably are not treated very nicely. I would recommend visiting some websites, and sending an email asking for a quote. They will then send you all of their sale flyers via email. I must have gotten a 25 or so. I have a fiberglass roof, which I think needs less regular maintenance and supposedly holds up better.One thing to keep in mind is that a class c typically has smaller storage spaces and access doors. You can get them in almost any floorplan - bunk or entertainment center over cab, bunk beds, etc. I went to RVUSA a lot when we were looking. Just search for class c used and you will get plenty to look at!!!

Have: 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2006 GMC Yukon Denali
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
New Camper

Thanks for the suggestions-I know I'm a yr from puchasing but every little bit of info from people that have been there sure helps-It seems we have aggreed on a queen or twin beds in the rear of the rv and i will probably look for something that has a fiberglass roof-now who makes class c rv with fiberglass roofs-I thought jayco was a high end rv but i found a few of them that had rubber roofs-fords triton also seems the way to go for motor-any other suggestions are welcome--Rich
Old 11-13-2009, 02:42 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtrk99
..........i wonder if i wouldn't be better off buying from a private party with way less miles-(CAN"T AFFORD NEW) and take the chance that they would give me the straight scoop on their rv..........

--Rich
Be VERY VERY careful buying a used RV. We were thoroughly ripped off by a "nice old man" selling a Vintage Sunline. He lied like no one I've ever met in my life. I don't think one thing he told us was the truth. Some people will tell you anything to make the sale. Do a lot of research before handing over your money. Try and take an experienced RVer with you if possible.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
RanCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:50 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003

2003 Beaver Marquis

formerly 2004 Silverado

two ragdolls, Flash and Bandit
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:00 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
The first item to look at when you are buying a used RV is to look at the tires. If they are NEW or if they are worn on the inside or outside WALK AWAY!!!!! Take a flashlight and crawl under the trailer (make sure it has chocks on the wheels so it can't roll). Then get up on the roof and see if there are any rips, bubbles or gooped up caulking that looks like they might have had a leak. Look in the closets and cupboards for leaks also. I would also take a tape measure and a level to make sure you don't have a problem with the frame. Especially look between tandem axles to make sure you have no cracks in the frame between the tandem axles. Get all the specifications either from the seller or on the internet or from the manufacturer. Remember as the second owner you don't have a warranty so any problems you will have to pay for. We bought our 04 Silverado used in 05 and have had to pay for the axle problem and cracks in the fiberglass ourselves although Randy at Crossroads has been very helpful.

2003 Beaver Marquis

formerly 2004 Silverado

two ragdolls, Flash and Bandit
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
New Camper

wow it seems as i ask questions trying to make a intelligent decision on what to look for in a good used class C MH that most of the people with complaints seem to speak up-i did some inquiring about jayco and low and behold the squeakin wheel wanted oil-i suppose if you have a problem that your not satisfied with or was not was fixed to your satisfaction you complain but if things go smooth you don;t have anything to complain about-that being said i suppose 99% of the people are satisfied with their MH and fix little problems themselves -seems the reveiws on the rv campgrounds seem to follow the same pattern-squeaking wheel wants oil-At least i got some good info from this forum-coachman-jayco are the two that seems to tickle my fancy so far --and i know there a lot of good MH out there- i have kinda built my self a list of some of the things i would want the would be seller show me that a certain appliance would work as it should and chassis components that might show damage or wear-i guess when your buying used your kinda stuck with your purchase-hopefully when the time comes i'll be able to make some good decisions-thanks Rich