Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2011, 04:20 AM   #1
New Camper

Our family have been camping for 7 yrs. Our first camper was a travel trailer, 2nd camper was a small Jayco 5th wheel and we now have a 2006 34' Crossroads Cruiser w/quad bunks. I love this camper but we are having problems with the AC unit. If the AC is on we can not run the microwave. If we use the microwave while the AC is running it will kick the breaker. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be. We have had this unit for 1 year.

2001 Silverado Crew Cab 8' bed Duramax Diesal & Allison Trans (great truck)

2006 Crossroads Cruiser
Horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:30 AM   #2
Site Team

If you have room in your panel for another breaker, switch the micro or A/C to it's own breaker.
No matter what, get them off the same breaker.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:38 AM   #3
New Camper

Thank you I will have to tell my husband.
Horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

The AC and the microwave would not be on the same C/B. I think the OP meant to say the breaker at the CG pedestal is tripping. Welcome to the world of 30A. They have too many appliances trying to run at the same time. It will help to turn the water heater off when using the microwave. The fridge may also be running on shore power and not propane. You only have 30A to power everything in the trailer,How you divide it among the various appliances anddevices is up to you. It can be done, but you'll need to sit down and figure out how much current everything draws and what can be run at the same time.

AC will draw 12-13 Amps by itself. Water heater is a high power consumer anda 1KW M/W will use around 8 amps. it's pretty easy to eat up 30A.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

We have an 07 Cruiser and we had the same problem. The issue was the double breaker. The breaker panel in our 5er use a couple of double breakers and those would trip very easily. I had at least 1 and maybe 2 (I honestly can't remember) open places so I bought single breakers and split the doubles and had no trouble after that. This was a pretty common issue and several of us spilt them and that took care of it
Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

x2 what bob landry said. Both the microwave and the AC are 2 of the highest amperage devices in the trailer. Usually, the fridge will be on shore power (when on auto) and the converter will draw something for the 12volt lights (to maintain the battery). If the water heater kicks in at the same time, its easy to draw more than 30 amps. DW loves the AC (she likes the trailer almost sub zero) but I make her turn it off during breakfast because of the Microwave, toaster, Coffeemaker etc. Sometimes for her, I think 50 amps still isn't enough. I think... you need to keep in mind its still a trailer... you are camping. As much as your not 'roughing' it anymore, you may have to give up something for a short time for something else. You have all the amenities... but it doesn't mean you need to utilize them ALL at the same time. Just my 2cents.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote