Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2011, 05:35 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Can someone educate me on Nitrogen Filled tires? What can you do and what can't you do with them? This is my first experience with this and I want to know what to expect.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Pretty much expect the same thing as with any tires. If you need to top them off, use your air compressor. Normal air is about 79% nitrogen so it won't hurt a thing. The tires don't know the difference.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Good to hear. Someone said you had to add nitrogen if the pressure got low. You could not add regular air. They said, if it lost pressure, you had to drain all the nitrogen and THEN blow it back up with air. Sounded kind of hokey to me so thought I'd check it out.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Ditto on Dalemacs answer. I have been running nitrogen in my tires for about 5 years now and I really like it. You very seldom have to add air. We got our Kingston in the spring of 2010 and have not added air yet. Close to 7000 mi on the camper
Old 12-13-2011, 03:38 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

As Dalemac said very little difference between air and nitrogen. Rubber in its self is a pourus material, therefore air under pressure will find its way out, nitrogen being just a little denser than air dosent find its way out quite as quickly. However when you do lose nitrogenpressure re-filling with compressed air will not harm anything.It's a good sales point but not much more than that. For some fun ask an RV salesman what to do when nitrogen filled tires get low on pressure, most of them don't have a clue and can be very creative in their answers.

Flyone
Old 03-05-2012, 03:01 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Hey Guys,

I actually work in the tire biz for one of the biggest tire manufactures in the world.You are kind of right and wrong at the same time. In a perfect world nitro filled tires can work when done proberly. In order to get any benefits from nitro filled tires the tire must be filled with nitro then purged then filled again and the tire must be installed using a nitro supported bead sealer/lub.

The sad part is that the second that air is added from a compressor or if the tire is installed using the typical sealer/lub that most companies are using the nitro filled tire becomes contaminated and you lose the benefits of the nitro. Adding air from a compressor does not hurt the tire. You just lose the benefits of nitro.

The benefit of nitro filled tires of course is how consistant the tire pressure remains throughout extreme heat and cold temp changes. As tire pressure changes it affects the shape of the tire. So Nitro can help prevent unwanted wear patterns, fuel mileageetc.

Personally I think nitro filling is great but is it really of any importance to any of the everyday driver or vehicle ? Well not really. It is great for race applications and long haul truck driving but for most of us everyday typical drivers it is kind of a nice feature but not a super important thing to be doing.

Just my 2 cents.

stokesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the information. I am going to have tires on my wife's car nitrogen filled. I would not have known about the bead lub. Now I know what to ask.

2012 King Ranch,F350,CC,SRW,

LWB,FX4,6.7 Diesel

2012 CR Cruiser 330SS

God Bless

https://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/...ictures005.jpg
Traveling Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I retired from the tire business and the only benefit I ever saw from nitrogen was it's a really profitable add on sale...I have my wifes tires filled on nitro, and I sure can't see the difference we sold the refill for 79.95...and it was 95% profit...I would suggest to you just save your money..

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbinohio
Â*I retired from the tire business and the only benefit I ever saw from nitrogen was it's a really profitable add on sale...I have my wifes tires filled on nitro, and I sure can't see the difference we sold the refill for 79.95...and it was 95% profit...I would suggest to you just save your money..

Yeah I wouldn't bother either. I would in specialty cases like I mentioned in my post but that would be it for me. As far as being expensive and profitable it is that for sure. A money grab indeed. Both my trailer and truck came with nitro in them but when I go put on new tires I am not going to bother with nitro.
stokesj is offline   Reply With Quote