Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
New Camper

Question No 12v or 120 volt

I used a trickle charger over the winter to keep my batteries charged. I now have no 12v or 120 volt when I plug in. Did I damage my electrical system? Is my charge controller damaged?
riorog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:23 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Starting with the 120v. When you plug in to shore power are you getting 120 volt at your panel?

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
Ken
Weekend Camper

Not knowing how old your rig is but it sounds like your power converter has gone bad. I was camping with my parents this weekend and their 5th wheel power converter went out Sunday afternoon. Luckily I had a battery charger that I had in my boat that I pulled out to keep their battery charged so they didn't have to leave early. It is not a hard fix and it will run about $150 to $200 or so.
Ken

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

My answer is "More troubleshooting required". Seems to me I read that there are small fuses in the converter (on the circuit board). A voltmeter will help to isolate just where you are loosing power. It seems odd to me that you would loose both 12 and 120v by attaching a battery charger....unless it was attached backwards.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:33 AM   #5
Ken
Weekend Camper

Stan is actually correct not knowing what model converter you have but I know after my research this weekend with my parents we checked everything and it confirmed the converter was bad. There should be 2 automotive type fuzes if you have a 30 amp unit they will be 40 amp. The fuzes should be labeled reverse polarity or something like that, check those if they blow you will loose all power. If those fuzes are still good like my parents 5 wheel it's probably a bad converter. I do have 1 question if you battery is charged you should have 12 volt power. If your converter is bad it will not charge the battery but the camper will still run on 12 volt. If the battery is charged and you still have no power start checking the automotive fuzes in the converter.

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:57 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I would check the main circuit breaker in manel box for power first,it supplies power to convertor and every thing else. You need 120 volts in for anything to work. You said no 120 or 12 volt.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
New Camper

Thanks to everyone for your advice and comments. I have a Cruiser 5th Wheel 31LK. The controller manufacturer is Cheng. I did some troubleshooting and found when I disconnected my batteries, I was able to get 120V. When I had the batteries hooked up and plugged in the 120V, my house breaker would switch off. I checked the voltage at the batteries from the controller and I am getting a zero reading (no charge). I think I may have damaged the controller because I made a mistake and wired the trickle charger to the second battery in the string. The next step is probably to contact Cheng Industries. Any further advice or information is appreciated.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

When you say controller are you talking about the whole converter or a circuit board within the converter?? If you need to replace the whole converter I would look into another brand in place of the "Cheng".
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I agree
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #10
New Camper

The whole converter......I have not narrowed the problem down to a particular part. What I know is from the 12v side of the converter, I am zero voltage to the batteries. The next step is to talk to the manufacturer tech support or just replace the whole converter. I want to be confident that if I replace the converter, the problem is solved. Any suggestions on converters?

Roger
Rio Rancho, NM
Old 05-29-2014, 06:13 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Heard good things about these but have no personal experience with them. Needs to be sized correctly for your unit.

http://progressivedyn.com/rv_converter_pd9245c_2.html
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote