Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

While we were de-winterizing our Seville we noticed that the linoleum was puckered up on the landing just at the top of the steps outside the bathroom. We bought some lino adhesive and unscrewed the trim strip on the top step thinking we would just spread some adhesive under the lino but once we removed the trim the lino just lifts right up. The entire landing/hallway lino is floating? We didn't use the adhesive because we were not sure if it would react somehow with the backing on the lino but after screwing down the trim strip again (which appears to be the only thing holding the lino in place, I am worried that it will start to pucker up again. Anyone else had any issues with the lino?
I actually reallly like the quality of the lino and the feel of it, it has a non slip type feel to it and is quite thick. Is this no glue method the new way of laying lino and if so what stops it from moving around?

albianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:22 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have seen a lot of installers (in homes) use the cheap route and glue at the edges of the vinyl. It needs to be glued all over to keep it flat and from bubbling like yours is. You can add some vinyl adhesive to fix it. You don't need much. I use a 1/16" notched trowel.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

The lino in our trailer is not glued at all, there is no glue, not even around the edges. I thought that this must be a new way of laying it, it is just floating. The only place I have any problem with the lino is at the top of the stairs where a small area about the size of an egg was puffed up slightly. Its weird that I don't have problems all over if it was supposed to have glue. Hubby says he has heard of glueless lino, I don't know if that is what ours is supposed to be or if it is a mistake, any other Seville owners noticed this?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

The Lino is not glued down in RV's. The reason is that they flex going down the road from one spot to the next. If they were glued than you would have a lot of cracks bubbles and tears on the floors

Edited by: fhenn
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I took my rig into the dealer for the exact same problem...linoleum lifting at the bathroom landing. They also informed me that it is not glued at the factory and is most likely going to buckle with change in temperatures. It has not caused a problem just looks weird

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have "popped" the bubbles before with a scrarch awl and eliminated them. Normally these only occur when moisture has built up under the floor, expands, and needs a way out. You might pull it back again and look for moisture sources under it unless you know of a previous "water incident."

It does put a very small hole in the floor but is virtually unnoticeable and doesn't really affect the integrity of the flooring.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I have not had a problem with lifting or buckling. When at the factory they explained the linolium is not glued due to flexing. It also covers the entire floor. Spills will not get to the plywood.

2004 Ford F350 Diesel

https://i627.photobucket.com/albums/t...30slbucket.jpg
dja29RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I hear you but not unless you had a water line break and some flooding going on. Water does seek the lowest level.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Well when we took the trim piece off the top step to see what was going under the lino, hubby just realigned it, layed it back down and put the trim back and the lino now looks fine again, just thought it weird when we saw no glue. By the sound of it, it was probably our really long cold winter that caused it to bubble up a bit, hopefully it will remain flat now, if not we will put a wee bit of adhesive just in that one spot (about 4 inches square.)