Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #21
Site Team

I have always wondered why, people think they should, or have to turn the breakers off before plugging or unplugging???
Old 12-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #22
Site Team

We started doing it many years ago because sometimes when plugging in it would snap or ark at the plug. You could tell by the marks on the plug blades. I have replaced plugs in the past because of the burn marks. Also now here in Mo. the breaker boxes at state parks and the COE parks all state to turn off breaker before connecting or disconnecting.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #23
Site Team

I figured that was going to be the answer, and while I can see what you are saying, I just can't fully buy into it.

Where I worked before retiring, we had many pieces of equipment that was moved/wheeled around and plugged into wall receptacles. Anything from welders to table saws, on up to multiple conveyors. Breakers were never shut off before plugging that stuff in. I don't recall of any plugs being damaged.

I do the same thing at home. I have a welder that gets moved back and fore between the garage and the shed. I never turn a breaker off before plugging it in. Same thing with my table saw and planer.
Stop and think about how many times you plug something electrical in at home. Whether it be in the house or out in the garage or work shop. I would be willing to bet you never think about turning the breaker off for the outlet.
I have never turned the breakers off before plugging or unplugging from a campground electrical post.
In fact, breakers aren't meant to be turned on and off like a light switch. That is why the switches are wired in after the breaker. Turning a breaker on and off constantly will result in the breaker failing/wearing out.

Try putting a thin film of dielectric on the blades of your plugins. See if maybe that doesn't help.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:35 PM   #24
Site Team

I have not had any problems at home or at campgrounds in recent years. But in the past at state parks and the COE parks back when some boxes had 30 amp and a lot just had 15 amp the service was sketchy at best. Sometimes if you unplugged in the rain you would get a little shock. Things are better now with a lot of campgrounds upgrading the service to include more 50 amp sites.

But it does say on the box to turn off the breakers before connecting or disconnecting. It is probably for liability purposes. This is not only the state parks but the COE campgrounds where it also states it on the bulletin board by the shower-house.

At our place i have 200 amp service at the house and the shop. I have a power pole by the camper pad with a 50/30/15 amp box but i do not turn it off to plug or unplug.

Do not know about other states but here in Mo. thats what is printed on the power pedestals. Maybe thats where people get it from.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:37 AM   #25
Family Vacation Member

Receptacles can arc if the item being connected is drawing a large enough load at the time. Items like a saw or hair dryer that are not using any power because they are turned off won't cause an arc. On the other hand a trailer or RV has all things possible drawing current - inverter/charger, electronics for anything plugged into outlets - clocks, fridge, microwave, radio, tv, and etc. It's probable that these items are in combination drawing enough current to cause an air gap arc as the plug nears the contacts in the outlet.

So far as circuit breakers - they should be exercised twice each year. By opening and then closing them you ensure they do not oxidize or corrode and stick in a closed state. If they get to that condition they cannot open to stop current and protect the circuit.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
Old 12-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnsn57 View Post
On the other hand a trailer or RV has all things possible drawing current - inverter/charger, electronics for anything plugged into outlets - clocks, fridge, microwave, radio, tv, and etc. It's probable that these items are in combination drawing enough current to cause an air gap arc as the plug nears the contacts in the outlet.

If the trailer as a surge guard, either pre wired or on the end of the land line, none of that comes into play.
I have a Progressive Ind. pre wired, and there is a delay when it's first plugged into a power outlet. It checks to make sure everything is OK before letting any power come thru to the trailer. If I remember correctly, it's a 2 min. delay.
So, there should not be any electrical draw to create the arc you mentioned.

Just another example of the importance of having a surge guard on your rig.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #27
Site Team

Another good reason for a surge guard.Maybe someday they will be standard or at least offered as a option.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #28
Family Vacation Member

The surge guard must draw current as soon as you connect to know it must go to work. It delays pass through to the trailer but still has some internal load I would suspect. My $100 Progressive Industries SSP30X lights up as soon as I plug it into the outlet if the outlet breaker is on.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #29
Seasonal Camper

jmnsn57,
your surge protector is not an EMS unit, and therefore won't have the delay of a true EMS protector.
I have the hard-wired Progressive EMS protector, and there is no appreciable current for about 20 or 30 seconds from plug-in, eliminating any arcing or spikes.
I have read countless bad incidences of plugging in without an EMS unit, and I will never have a camper that doesn't have one.
I turn off the breaker at the pole before I plug in, as a matter of habit. It's not necessary to turn off anything if you have an EMS unit.
Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:21 PM   #30
Family Vacation Member

I understand that and that is why I shut off the breaker. Plug my surge protector/detector into the dead socket. Let it show condition and if clear connect the trailer to the protector. Even then, if any appliance in RV is attempting to draw power, the connection to the surge protector might arc. I don't think you understood my comment that regardless of what you are using, an arc can occur if any device you plug into any outlet can arc if there is a load and other conditions exist that make it favorable for an air gap arc. Load, moisture - dew point, wet connections, worn contacts, etc. Just saying be careful, not sorry you did in RV or yourself. It's about electrical SAFETY.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:56 PM   #31
Site Team

I think it's time to put this thread to rest.
Closed Thread

Tags
battery, charging, inverter