Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

No propane when slide out is in

I have a 2012 CF28MKX Cruiser with 2 slides. When hitched up, the slide that's on the drivers side of the 5th wheel is where my fridge, stove, and microwave are located. If the slide is in my fridge and stove don't get propane. If I put the slide out it works fine. I'm thinking I have a line getting pinched somewhere. Does anyone else have this problem? I hate to try and remove the covering underneath and take a look out of fear of not getting the basement covering back up into place. I bought it new as a leftover and have only been living in it for a year.
2012 Crossroads Cruiser CF28MKX
Oilfield Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
Site Team

You should look under the slide, mine is exposed and has no covering on it. That is most likely where the line is pinched.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Ok. We noticed it when we were traveling from San Antonio to Oklahoma. Tried to cook supper on the stove at a truck stop and couldn't get the stove to light. Then noticed the fridge wasn't running on propane like it should've been to keep our groceries cold while traveling. Ever since I bought this trailer I don't feel like that slide has ever been right. Had an electrical issue on that side of the trailer too. None of those outlets work, nor does the outlet that the fridge plugs into on the outside inside the plastic trap door. I've always had to run an extension cord into the trap door outside in order to have the fridge run on electric instead of consuming all of the propane. When we first bought it everything worked. Then after the first trip to San Antonio I noticed a cut green wire protruding at the bottom of the floor in the kitchen when I extended the slide out. I think it got pinched and the slide out extending ripped it apart and that's why the outlets don't work on that side. All the GFIs have been checked. Now the propane line getting pinched. Just makes me think that particular slide hasn't ever been normal.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

My sabre had this issue. The propane line was getting pinched when the slide closed. It actually put a hole in the hose. Changed the hose and rerouted it and problem solved. Here are some pictures we took before fixing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23vz0om.jpg (208.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 2djxgnt.jpg (283.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg r8yvk5.jpg (358.1 KB, 7 views)

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I would take it in and get it looked at. Pinched electrical and pinched propane sounds like a recipe for disaster

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
I would take it in and get it looked at. Pinched electrical and pinched propane sounds like a recipe for disaster

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
X2 I would resolve this quickly.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the photo's I'm sure it going to help other too!
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfield Trucker View Post
Ok. We noticed it when we were traveling from San Antonio to Oklahoma. Tried to cook supper on the stove at a truck stop and couldn't get the stove to light. Then noticed the fridge wasn't running on propane like it should've been to keep our groceries cold while traveling. Ever since I bought this trailer I don't feel like that slide has ever been right. Had an electrical issue on that side of the trailer too. None of those outlets work, nor does the outlet that the fridge plugs into on the outside inside the plastic trap door. I've always had to run an extension cord into the trap door outside in order to have the fridge run on electric instead of consuming all of the propane. When we first bought it everything worked. Then after the first trip to San Antonio I noticed a cut green wire protruding at the bottom of the floor in the kitchen when I extended the slide out. I think it got pinched and the slide out extending ripped it apart and that's why the outlets don't work on that side. All the GFIs have been checked. Now the propane line getting pinched. Just makes me think that particular slide hasn't ever been normal.
Your slide may be out of alignment. That can wreak havoc on seals, lines etc. Ask me how I know. it sounds like you have a cut line that may or may not be live. Couple that with a possibly pinched propane line that can lead to a propane leak, like others said, this us recipes for a disaster. Get that trailer in for service yesterday.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 02-22-2015, 02:32 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Ok. Thanks for the replies and photos. I will get it in to get it checked out. The electric issue has been this way for the last 11 months. The propane issue just came about. Wish there was something I could do myself without having to drag it in. I've got it set up stationary right now.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

There is something make sure propane is off and disconnect battery.
11 months?
Old 02-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

We live in our 5th wheel. The electric issue has been the way it is since March of last year, 1 month after we bought it.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

I would have taken it in them to get it covered under warranty. You may have missed the warranty window on that one now.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 02-22-2015, 08:10 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I bought it new in February of 2014 (a year ago). It still had the plastic on everything, was brand new even though it's a 2012. They told me the 2 years warranty doesn't start until the day of purchase so hopefully I'm still covered for the next year.
I bought it and the following week I moved it to San Antonio where I was working in the oilfield. I drive a truck and I'm not home all the time, so time was an issue back then. All I know is when I bought it, everything worked fine. Then when I got it to Texas and started setting it up I noticed a green wire (looked like 12 gauge 12 volt wire) in the kitchen where the slide out meets the floor. It was sticking out under the carpet with a broken end. I'm assuming when I extended the slide out it was caught and broke. The first week or 2 down there everything worked. Then one day when making coffee everything on that side of the trailer stopped getting power. I checked the GFIs and never could get it to come back on. I've managed without those few outlets ever since. Like I said, sometimes I'm gone for weeks at a time so it never has been a big deal.
The pinched propane line just came about in December. The oilfield slowed down so I came back to Oklahoma to work. In route up here is when the wife and I noticed the stove and fridge don't get gas unless the slide out is extended. Sorry if I couldn't explain better in my previous posts. I was trying to type on my phone.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

We had the same problem with the propane hose on our unit. Whenever the slide was in the propane line was crimped. Dealer replaced the hose with a longer one and we haven't had a problem since. If you don't have time to take it to a dealer for repair you might want to call CrossRoads and see if they will approve a repair done by a mobile tech. Otherwise you can do a visual check by having your wife slowly retract the slide while you watch the propane hose. You should be able to see where it is binding and be able to formulate a fix. Most likely a longer hose will solve the problem. Just make sure that the new hose doesn't bind also and then secure it with cable ties if necessary. If you decide to call CrossRoads be sure to discuss the electrical problem also. Might be able to get both repairs done by a mobile tech.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gball View Post
We had the same problem with the propane hose on our unit. Whenever the slide was in the propane line was crimped. Dealer replaced the hose with a longer one and we haven't had a problem since. If you don't have time to take it to a dealer for repair you might want to call CrossRoads and see if they will approve a repair done by a mobile tech. Otherwise you can do a visual check by having your wife slowly retract the slide while you watch the propane hose. You should be able to see where it is binding and be able to formulate a fix. Most likely a longer hose will solve the problem. Just make sure that the new hose doesn't bind also and then secure it with cable ties if necessary. If you decide to call CrossRoads be sure to discuss the electrical problem also. Might be able to get both repairs done by a mobile tech.
I definitely feel better now knowing that the propane line is a common problem. I will give Crossroads a call. Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Might not want to tell them you full time in it as warranties can be voided by that.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 02-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Kind of off the subject but since it's been in the 20s I've been operating off my fresh water tank and have my hose disconnected. My 5th wheel has the enclosed basement and tank heat strips. Everything stays nice and warm under there with the furnace running. However, the fresh water fill has ice in it. I can't refill my tank. I still have 1/3 in it but wanted to top it off so we can shower in the morning. I tried pouring hot water from a 1/2 gallon pitcher in it but it just runs back out. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Hairdryer.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #19
Seasonal Camper

Keep pouring the hot water in there, it will eventually melt. I'd be careful using a hair dryer, if you melt the plastic hose or the back flow valve, you'll have bigger issues.
Good luck!
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
Keep pouring the hot water in there, it will eventually melt. I'd be careful using a hair dryer, if you melt the plastic hose or the back flow valve, you'll have bigger issues.
Good luck!
I wouldn't think a hair dryer would melt that plastic. Maybe run it on the inside access, or a light bulb or heat lamp if you have one.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote