Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

No voltage to slide out switch

Anybody familiar with the wiring on the slide out switches. My switch has a green, white, black, white and red wire in that order. The two whites go to a white wire, the black goes to a black wire, the green goes to a black wire and the red goes to a white wire.

Bottom line there are two whites and two blacks coming from the switch. I tried every combination and cannot read 12v anywhere. Not sure if I am supposed to since this is only a switch it may not have both positive and negative. Not sure how they make the motor run in both directions either. Guessing they swap the positive and negative somehow.

My fuse is good. My motor is good. I have no voltage on the wires feeding the motor when the switch is activated in either direction.

Don't know if this is a result of crossing the battery wires. It ran that way with no problem and ran after I fixed that.

Any ideas?
matherne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I would check the terminals on the back of the switch to figure out how it works, using a multi-meter set to check for Ohms.
If you can figure it out and the switch is ok, then I would check the white wires for a tracer (small line of Color running the length of the wire). Then check at the motor to see if you can determine which wires are connected from the switch (should be the same tracer Color, if they are white and the factory wired it properly).
To check for 12 volts at the switch, extend the black (-) wire on your multi-meter and connect it to the ground buss somewhere near the converter. Mine is down and behind the converter. You can then determine which wire is the 12 volt input for the switch. You can do the same thing at the motor, and check the wiring to there.
Cooper the Golden Retriever, and
Sam the black lab.
CampMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I found a diagram of the slide wiring and of the switch. The black wire is supposed to be hot. Don't have an ohm meter. I connected a test light from the black wire to the battery negative and got nothing. I connected the white wire to the battery positive and then to the wire connected to the slide fuse. Both illuminated the test light. The wire coming off the fuse box is white with a brown tracer. When it gets to the switch it's black. So somewhere there is a junction where the wires are connected. Anybody have any idea where that may be? I opened the only compartments i am aware of and couldn't find it. Did not look in the belly yet... Hoping I don't have to.
matherne is offline   Reply With Quote