Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Slingshot 32QB. My one hangup is on the heater, it is not ducted and in the center of the untit. I'm concerned that the heat may not be adequate to keep the bunk room and the queen bed area warm enough, any thoughts based on experience?

Also, does anyone know if the bumper is spot-welded or continuous weld-steel?

Thinking of this product:

http://www.adventurerv.net/swagman-b...ck-p-5348.html

Thanks
jgourley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I don't know that trailer specificaly but I would guess that the heater IS ducted under cabinets INSTEAD of under the floor.Our last two were that way.

On the bike rack there is a lot of whipping on the back so mount very securly. I made a cheap light duty adapter to mount a reciever rack on the back of a 23 foot trailer--got home with son's front tire rolling on the road holding the rack up!

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I think all campers now do have ducts.They maybe the flex duct that come off the heating unit and as said, have a grill for the air to discharge out of.I have had several like this and usually you find that not all the ducts have great air flow.I would fire off the heater and feel the discharge on each grill and if the flow is hard to feel or not blowing any distance,I would rethink this.Of course you can always use electric heat when on shore power or maybe get a larger heater with larger flow.These usually aren't to hard to swap out.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

You didn't mention what model year your trailer is but I just had a look at the Slinger specs and it says that you have ducted heat in your trailer as a standard item. If you aren't getting any heat in the extremes of the your trailer then I would consider that a warranty issue and should be addressed asap.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thank you for the posts, the dealer is the one that said it was not ducted, the AC has roof ducts, I have not yet tested as I have not yet taken delivery.

Can someone comment on the importance of adding the Fantastic Fan options?

Thank You,

Jeff
Old 03-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

This is the first camper I have had with the fantastic fan (My fan is exhaust only) and I wonder why it took so long for me to get one. We dry camp a lot where we don't need A/C but need to cool down the camper.Ours is in the living room only and has a thermostatic on the wall.It closes (so far) everytime it starts to rain and works great.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I can confirm that the heat on my Slingshot 29BH is NOT ducted. It blows directly from the heater into the living area from the heater. As this is a new unit I have not had the opportunity to use it yet (can't wait for warmer weather!) so I can't comment on how cold the bunk or queen bed areas might get. The AC, however, DOES have roof ducts.

scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

My 22BH has a non-ducted furnace and worked great to front bed. Can only imagine it being warmer in bunk area since it is closer to them than the front.

LT22BH EQ2 Tekonsha Prodigy P2

Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I have a Slingshot GT26RL and have the same set-up. Called the facotry and they confirmed it is not ducted. It's under the fridge and blows hot air from there. Had freezing temps in the Texas Hill Country one weekend andthe heater warmed the trailer fine, although we used a ocillating fan in the bed room to circulate the air. The issue was that it was shuting off and on too frequently, and then the alarm went off. I reset and it was fine, but the frequent on/off cycles was disturbing. I spoke to other RV owners that use a small ceramic heater which is much quieter, although more localized to a specific area, andit saves the LP Gas.

martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I have 2 fantatic fans in my Cruiser, one in the front bedroom and one in the living area. Both are operated with a thermostat on the wall close to each fan.

They work great and definetly will draw in ALOT of air. You do have to open windows to get the full effect. I use mine when Im loading up for a trip and in 80 degree weather the air that is circulated into the Cruiser makes it feel much cooler than it is. It actually creates a breeze inside the trailer.

I would recommend them in any area other than the bathroom. The reason is this: I found that just my small bath fan in the overhead vent draws alot of air into the bathroom and it also sometimes draw the smell from the blacktank into the bahtrom if left on for a long period of time. So Im thinking that a fantastic fan in the bath would draw alot more up from the tank so myself, I would stay away from having one in the bathroom.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the replies.

Brian,

Can you tell me what brand/model of ceramic heater I should consider?

I have just put a deposit on the TT 32QB and I need to decide about the Fantastic Fan, did you install yours- yourself? Dealer install? Did they install where the existing vents already existed?

Thank You,
Jeff
Old 03-12-2011, 01:25 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I dont know much about the heaters but I bet any brand will do that you are comfortable with. They all put out pretty much the same wattage. Im sure others will know more that use them. I just use the propane furnace to heat the trailer. I dont mind refilling the tanks.

The fans were already installed, so the dealer done it. They are installed where the old vents were.

Congrats on the new trailer!

Brian

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:32 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

I installed mine in the last trailer right were the old one was,not that tuff just seal it up well with the Dicor sealant.Only concern is the power-how close the power is to the vent and do you need to pull new lead or tap into existing which MIGHT be switched from wall.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Thank you for the replies, I will check on dealer cost to install, thinking of putting one in the Bunk Room. Taking any suggestions on ceramic heater brands/models.

Thank You
Old 03-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Walmart has a Sunbeam ceramicheater that we use with good results, cost around $20.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote