Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Non-functioning brake light

I've got a 2011 Zinger and the right brake light stopped working. The left side works fine and all other functions are OK: turn signals & running lights. Bulb is OK -- I switched right/left bulbs and the right side continues to fail. Inside the plastic light cover it indicates that the green wire controls both turn and brake, so I guess my problem is not at the light fixture itself, since turn signals work fine. Anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas? I pulled the wiring out of the back of the trailer as far as it would go and it looked fine.
manty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:16 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Sounds like your problem is not in your Zinger, but in your tow vehicle. If left and right turn signals work, and also your 4-way flashers work, then those are the same paths, wires, bulbs, and filaments that the brakes use. The difference in signals is from the "multi-purpose" or "turn-signal" switch on your steering column. That's the guy who determines which bulbs are lit, and when. What are the lights on the back of your tow vehicle doing? If the problem is the same there, it is definitely the truck.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

turn signal issue

Marty is right, If you notice on your tow vehicle that it had separate turn signals (usually yellow or orange) from your brake lights there is a module connected to the trailer wiring that "joins" these signals together to allow your trailer (which only has red lights) to produce both functions without affecting the T-V signals. This module is usually near the rear of the truck in a side panel or cubby. it varies from manufacture. contact your dealer to find out where it is installed . they are not terribly expensive 20 - 60 bucks. there are also aftermarket units available as well.
good luck.
Ron
Old 06-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

If you have the factory towing package, in the main fuse box under the hood you will find fuses that will control the left light the right light and the brake lights also there is one that will charge the battery check these first most of the tie it is one of these
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
Site Team

If you are uncertain whether it is the vehicle or the trailer wiring you can jump from the battery connection in the trailer plug to the right brake light connection. You can use a paper clip or a piece of wire. I made a jumper by crimping flat blade connectors to each end of a short piece of wire. The connector locations are illustrated in this diagram. You would want to connect the wire between the black & brown terminals. The colors shown are the colors of the wires that are attached inside the plug. If you battery is charged the right brake light should illuminate. If it does, check your tow vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7 Way Plug RV Side.jpg (88.4 KB, 3 views)

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Just a side note ...when ever you have a problem with trailer lights . simply hook another truck to your trailer then hook up your truck to another trailer. Helps to eliminate which is faulty.
good luck.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
If you have the factory towing package, in the main fuse box under the hood you will find fuses that will control the left light the right light and the brake lights also there is one that will charge the battery check these first most of the tie it is one of these
Always a good place to start. Trailer ground is also a common problem. I would start in your fuse box.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

All good answers. Sadly, like many, the OP didn't tell us the details. Our guesses (orange turn signals, need an adapter), (good tow package, has its own fuses), etc, won't be known unless the OP answers. BTW, I liked the hint about jumping the TT 7-pin plug, I never thought of that! Thanks!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Success!! Thanks for all the really great suggestions and methods for tracking down the problem. Sure enough, the tow vehicle fuse box had a burned out 10 amp fuse for the trailer brake light! The Zinger is in storage, so I have to wait for our next camping trip to give the system a final check. I really appreciate all the timely help!
manty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:53 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

find a neighbor that has a trailer , buy him a beer and hook his wire to your truck to make sure everything works.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by manty View Post
Success!! Thanks for all the really great suggestions and methods for tracking down the problem. Sure enough, the tow vehicle fuse box had a burned out 10 amp fuse for the trailer brake light! The Zinger is in storage, so I have to wait for our next camping trip to give the system a final check. I really appreciate all the timely help!
I recently had a similar problem with a new to me TV. I knew that this was a common problem and still missed it. Glad you got it figured out.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote