Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Noob Question

Just got my first trailer so all this stuff is new to me. I have two propane tanks that the dealer already had turn on when he delivered my trailer. I was wondering if when towing it, should I turn them both off? Is the process just to turn both of them off? I did notice that there was a lever on the regulator but was not sure what it was? Thought it might be a valve to shut off the propane without having to turn off both tanks.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

The switch in between the tanks should be an automatic switch over. When the first tank is out of propane, it should draw from the second take. This allows you not to have interrupted service. There is a "red" indicator telling you the tank is empty. Then you can refuel the first propane tank. Some people prefer not to use this feature and just leave one tank valve open.

When driving most do leave their propane on. You have to remember that you could have an open flame if you have your refrigerator on while you drive. I do. So when you are driving near a fuel pump or refueling keep that in mind.

If you find that you do not have propane going to an appliance after the rv has sat unused, try lighting the stove for a couple minutes to bleed the air out of the lines and then try the appliance again.

And oh by the way, welcome and enjoy your new RV.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

The lever has an arrow on it. Does that mean it's pointing to the one that it's getting propane from? It is currently pointed to the right tank but both are open. I took a pic and thought I could put it here for you to see but no attachment on tapatalk.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy View Post
The lever has an arrow on it. Does that mean it's pointing to the one that it's getting propane from? It is currently pointed to the right tank but both are open. I took a pic and thought I could put it here for you to see but no attachment on tapatalk.

As long as the sight glass is not red, then the lever does indeed point to the tank that it's drawing from. When that tank goes empty, the pressure of the OTHER tank (assuming the valve is open) switches the regulator to draw from the OTHER tank. At that time, a red metal flag pops up in the regulator to know that switchover has occurred. When that happens, move the lever back to the other tank. The red flag will go away, because now it IS pointing to the draw tank. Now you can disconnect your empty tank and refill it, without ever losing propane flow. And the cycle continues towards the next switch.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I feel so educated on a topic that I thought was a silly question. Thanks guys greatly appreciate your comments.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I feel so educated on a topic that I thought was a silly question. Thanks guys greatly appreciate your comments.

MartyinSC gave a great explanation. There are no silly questions except those you don't ask. And you will get better info than from just the dealer. Welcome to the group.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:38 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks, I truly feel welcomed. Gotta ask another question re my new Z-1. There is a propane quick connect at the rear of the trailer. Just wondering what way is the handle of the valve need to be pointing to be off? Mine is pointing outward in the direction of flow. I always thought this was a "on" position.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

If the valve is in line or parallel with the propane line, that should be open to allow flow.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

That's what I was thinking. I did not smell propane though. I guess I should turn it permidicular then.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. I did not smell propane though. I guess I should turn it permidicular then.

Yes. There's likely a check valve that prevents the propane from escaping if there's nothing attached like the BBQ. I would not trust it though and always reposition the valve when not using it.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Thanks, I truly feel welcomed. Gotta ask another question re my new Z-1. There is a propane quick connect at the rear of the trailer. Just wondering what way is the handle of the valve need to be pointing to be off? Mine is pointing outward in the direction of flow. I always thought this was a "on" position.

Ha! I never could find the answer to this one either. Mine came pointed in line with the pipe. Since I don't use the propane outlet, I figured perpendicular should be closed. Never lost any propane, but that could be just be a good QD. I guess we need to hear from someone who uses the tap.
Dalzell SC
Old 08-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

BTW, to Tappy's question, the valve handle is weird. More like an "L", actually. Really hard to tell what's it's trying to designate.
Dalzell SC
Old 08-20-2016, 07:11 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I went out and put it permidicular. If it is in the on position, will propane escape or does it need to be quick connected for propane to flow? MartyinSC, what way did you leave yours?

Old 08-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I went out and put it permidicular. If it is in the on position, will propane escape or does it need to be quick connected for propane to flow? MartyinSC, what way did you leave yours?

I turned it perpendicular, and have left it that way for 18 months. No loss of propane, but as I said, that could just be a good Quick Disconnect. I've never used the outlet. I'd like to hear from someone who has used it. I too, would like to know that I have it "off." It's hard to describe, and too dark to take a picture. There is a short line, then a long handle. The two form an L. Do you act based on the short line or the long handle?
Dalzell SC
Old 08-20-2016, 07:24 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
I turned it perpendicular, and have left it that way for 18 months. No loss of propane, but as I said, that could just be a good Quick Disconnect. I've never used the outlet. I'd like to hear from someone who has used it. I too, would like to know that I have it "off." It's hard to describe, and too dark to take a picture. There is a short line, then a long handle. The two form an L. Do you act based on the short line or the long handle?
I do use mine, and it is open when the long portion is in line with the propane line.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #16
Site Team

I have an after market quick connect line I installed in the camper to operate a Wave Heater. The valve portion with the on/off handle will not allow a line to be hooked up to it, or, unhooked from it without the handle be turned to the closed position, which is perpendicular.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59853-P...+quick+connect
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Thank you both, Steve7 and Lloyd. Perpendicular is off. I did a little research, and found that Camping World sells these, and they are made by Mr Heater, a propane appliance place. Even their website doesn't explain, but does show a picture, and how it can be confusing. (Unlike your CAMCO one, which does have on/off pictured) Connector Kit with Shut-off Valve
Dalzell SC
Old 08-20-2016, 08:54 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

That's great. Looks like we may have an answer. I'm glad I asked the question.
Tappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I have an after market quick connect line I installed in the camper to operate a Wave Heater. The valve portion with the on/off handle will not allow a line to be hooked up to it, or, unhooked from it without the handle be turned to the closed position, which is perpendicular.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59853-P...+quick+connect
I forgot about that feature Lloyd. As a matter of fact, I hate to admit it, but on our first trip I didn't know about the valve near the trailer quick connect. I knew about the one on the extension hose, but being new I had no idea. So I spent a little while trying to get the darn BBQ to light. I gave up and went to plan "B" as far as cooking that trip. I didn't think about asking anyone on the forum, and didn't find out until we got home and my buddy told me about the valve! Duhhhh...
Old 08-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

For clarification, does it mean that if there is nothing hooked up to it, then it does not matter what position it's in, no propane will come out?