Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 42
Noob Question

Just got my first trailer so all this stuff is new to me. I have two propane tanks that the dealer already had turn on when he delivered my trailer. I was wondering if when towing it, should I turn them both off? Is the process just to turn both of them off? I did notice that there was a lever on the regulator but was not sure what it was? Thought it might be a valve to shut off the propane without having to turn off both tanks.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Tappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
Full Time Camper
 
Steve7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Nv
Posts: 624
The switch in between the tanks should be an automatic switch over. When the first tank is out of propane, it should draw from the second take. This allows you not to have interrupted service. There is a "red" indicator telling you the tank is empty. Then you can refuel the first propane tank. Some people prefer not to use this feature and just leave one tank valve open.

When driving most do leave their propane on. You have to remember that you could have an open flame if you have your refrigerator on while you drive. I do. So when you are driving near a fuel pump or refueling keep that in mind.

If you find that you do not have propane going to an appliance after the rv has sat unused, try lighting the stove for a couple minutes to bleed the air out of the lines and then try the appliance again.

And oh by the way, welcome and enjoy your new RV.
__________________
Steve & Sue
2017 Grand Design 297RSTS Travel Trailer
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab diesel 6.7 SW LB 11,500 lb GVWR package
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #3
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 42
The lever has an arrow on it. Does that mean it's pointing to the one that it's getting propane from? It is currently pointed to the right tank but both are open. I took a pic and thought I could put it here for you to see but no attachment on tapatalk.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Tappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
Full Time Camper
 
MartyinSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SC
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy View Post
The lever has an arrow on it. Does that mean it's pointing to the one that it's getting propane from? It is currently pointed to the right tank but both are open. I took a pic and thought I could put it here for you to see but no attachment on tapatalk.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
As long as the sight glass is not red, then the lever does indeed point to the tank that it's drawing from. When that tank goes empty, the pressure of the OTHER tank (assuming the valve is open) switches the regulator to draw from the OTHER tank. At that time, a red metal flag pops up in the regulator to know that switchover has occurred. When that happens, move the lever back to the other tank. The red flag will go away, because now it IS pointing to the draw tank. Now you can disconnect your empty tank and refill it, without ever losing propane flow. And the cycle continues towards the next switch.
__________________
Marty and Martha
2015 Z-1 211RD
2012 Nissan Titan
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #5
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 42
I feel so educated on a topic that I thought was a silly question. Thanks guys greatly appreciate your comments.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Tappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
Full Time Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy View Post
I feel so educated on a topic that I thought was a silly question. Thanks guys greatly appreciate your comments.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
MartyinSC gave a great explanation. There are no silly questions except those you don't ask. And you will get better info than from just the dealer. Welcome to the group.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #7
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 42
Thanks, I truly feel welcomed. Gotta ask another question re my new Z-1. There is a propane quick connect at the rear of the trailer. Just wondering what way is the handle of the valve need to be pointing to be off? Mine is pointing outward in the direction of flow. I always thought this was a "on" position.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Tappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:56 PM   #8
Full Time Camper
 
Steve7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Nv
Posts: 624
If the valve is in line or parallel with the propane line, that should be open to allow flow.
__________________
Steve & Sue
2017 Grand Design 297RSTS Travel Trailer
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab diesel 6.7 SW LB 11,500 lb GVWR package
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #9
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 42
That's what I was thinking. I did not smell propane though. I guess I should turn it permidicular then.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Tappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:03 PM   #10
Full Time Camper
 
Steve7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Nv
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy View Post
That's what I was thinking. I did not smell propane though. I guess I should turn it permidicular then.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Yes. There's likely a check valve that prevents the propane from escaping if there's nothing attached like the BBQ. I would not trust it though and always reposition the valve when not using it.
__________________
Steve & Sue
2017 Grand Design 297RSTS Travel Trailer
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab diesel 6.7 SW LB 11,500 lb GVWR package
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:04 PM   #11
Full Time Camper
 
MartyinSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SC
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy View Post
Thanks, I truly feel welcomed. Gotta ask another question re my new Z-1. There is a propane quick connect at the rear of the trailer. Just wondering what way is the handle of the valve need to be pointing to be off? Mine is pointing outward in the direction of flow. I always thought this was a "on" position.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Ha! I never could find the answer to this one either. Mine came pointed in line with the pipe. Since I don't use the propane outlet, I figured perpendicular should be closed. Never lost any propane, but that could be just be a good QD. I guess we need to hear from someone who uses the tap.
__________________
Marty and Martha
2015 Z-1 211RD
2012 Nissan Titan
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #12
Full Time Camper
 
MartyinSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SC
Posts: 643
BTW, to Tappy's question, the valve handle is weird. More like an "L", actually. Really hard to tell what's it's trying to designate.
__________________
Marty and Martha
2015 Z-1 211RD
2012 Nissan Titan
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:11 PM   #13
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 42
I went out and put it permidicular. If it is in the on position, will propane escape or does it need to be quick connected for propane to flow? MartyinSC, what way did you leave yours?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Tappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #14
Full Time Camper
 
MartyinSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SC
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy View Post
I went out and put it permidicular. If it is in the on position, will propane escape or does it need to be quick connected for propane to flow? MartyinSC, what way did you leave yours?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
I turned it perpendicular, and have left it that way for 18 months. No loss of propane, but as I said, that could just be a good Quick Disconnect. I've never used the outlet. I'd like to hear from someone who has used it. I too, would like to know that I have it "off." It's hard to describe, and too dark to take a picture. There is a short line, then a long handle. The two form an L. Do you act based on the short line or the long handle?
__________________
Marty and Martha
2015 Z-1 211RD
2012 Nissan Titan
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #15
Full Time Camper
 
Steve7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Nv
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
I turned it perpendicular, and have left it that way for 18 months. No loss of propane, but as I said, that could just be a good Quick Disconnect. I've never used the outlet. I'd like to hear from someone who has used it. I too, would like to know that I have it "off." It's hard to describe, and too dark to take a picture. There is a short line, then a long handle. The two form an L. Do you act based on the short line or the long handle?
I do use mine, and it is open when the long portion is in line with the propane line.
__________________
Steve & Sue
2017 Grand Design 297RSTS Travel Trailer
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab diesel 6.7 SW LB 11,500 lb GVWR package
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #16
Site Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI.
Posts: 7,682
I have an after market quick connect line I installed in the camper to operate a Wave Heater. The valve portion with the on/off handle will not allow a line to be hooked up to it, or, unhooked from it without the handle be turned to the closed position, which is perpendicular.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59853-P...+quick+connect
__________________
2008 Cruiser CF26RK
2013 Ford Eco-Boost
Heavy duty payload - Max tow
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:31 PM   #17
Full Time Camper
 
MartyinSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SC
Posts: 643
Thank you both, Steve7 and Lloyd. Perpendicular is off. I did a little research, and found that Camping World sells these, and they are made by Mr Heater, a propane appliance place. Even their website doesn't explain, but does show a picture, and how it can be confusing. (Unlike your CAMCO one, which does have on/off pictured) Connector Kit with Shut-off Valve
__________________
Marty and Martha
2015 Z-1 211RD
2012 Nissan Titan
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:54 PM   #18
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 42
That's great. Looks like we may have an answer. I'm glad I asked the question.
Tappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #19
Full Time Camper
 
Steve7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Nv
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I have an after market quick connect line I installed in the camper to operate a Wave Heater. The valve portion with the on/off handle will not allow a line to be hooked up to it, or, unhooked from it without the handle be turned to the closed position, which is perpendicular.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59853-P...+quick+connect
I forgot about that feature Lloyd. As a matter of fact, I hate to admit it, but on our first trip I didn't know about the valve near the trailer quick connect. I knew about the one on the extension hose, but being new I had no idea. So I spent a little while trying to get the darn BBQ to light. I gave up and went to plan "B" as far as cooking that trip. I didn't think about asking anyone on the forum, and didn't find out until we got home and my buddy told me about the valve! Duhhhh...
__________________
Steve & Sue
2017 Grand Design 297RSTS Travel Trailer
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab diesel 6.7 SW LB 11,500 lb GVWR package
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #20
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 42
For clarification, does it mean that if there is nothing hooked up to it, then it does not matter what position it's in, no propane will come out?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Tappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Crossroads Registry

The Gramper

Gasch01

0

DurTar
Add your Crossroads RV
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Crossroads RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×