Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
Site Team

We're having trouble controlling the temp in the fridge this year.
Seems like when the outside temps are cool--we have to set the fridge warmer, if the outside temps get warmer, we have to set the fridge colder. Getting tired of having to babysit the darn thing. Barb likes to keep her insulin in there and it can't freeze. Anybody got any good ideas/suggestions?

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #2

Might be time to have it checked by the man. As Andy Griffth said "Aunt Bee, just call the MAN" a professional that is.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Hey OF ,

Do you have one of them recirculating fans they sell on ebay in your fridge? If not maybe you need one of them to circulate the air a little better.

I have read where Norcolds are kind of hard to live with, maybe this is why.

Brian

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

How do you set the fridge temp? Mine is running on the edge of freezing and i was just skimming through my manual yesterday. Would turning on the "C" climate control switch in the upper left corner help? I never even knew it was there.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

SomeRV fridges have a little plastic slide on the one end of your fridges fins. Sliding it up or down on the fin makes the fridge cooler or warmer. I'm not sure also but I think the climate control switch controls the moisture in the fridge. I've also heard that if you leave that switch on when you are only on battery power it will contribute to battery draw.
Brian

Edited by: Badwin
Badwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
Site Team

I've got a fan inside, so that's not the issue, and there isn't a climate control switch.
It's really irritating, because it use to hold a pretty steady temp.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Llyod , I wonder how the fluid level is if you have lost some it might explain a lot

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
Site Team

Don't have a sure answer yet, but I think I might have at least part of the problem. I removed the roof cap over the fridge plus the screened cover. The fiberglass bat insulation that they stuck in there around the fridge was all laying down over the coils and tubes. In my opinion, the darn thing can't get air or breathe that way.
I'll tell ya, the more I have to open this thing up and dig into a problem, the more POed I get.
This will be the last rig I buy with hung insulation!!! Every place I've looked, it's laying in the bottom.
Rant over.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Lloyd, I had the same issue with our fridge. I checked it before the Texas rally and found one of the batt insulation pieces laying against the coils. All they did was shove it in the cavity and it eventially fell down. We had to have the under side of our 5th wheel over hang removed right after we purchased our trailer and when the guy removed the piece to expose under the bedroom area half the insulation fell out. I was lucky in a way we needed that repair under warranty so that I could put it all back in place so that it would not come out again. If not half the insulation in the front area would have not been in place.

Hal andI did a test at the rally with an infared heat gun and compared our batt insulation walls and his block foam walls and there was no difference. We did several test on the inside walls both with the sun directly on them and not.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
Site Team

Keith you are going to have to get that rig out in the country a little more and pound it over some rougher roads. Then do that check with the heat gun, just don't hold it up high on the walls.
I wish I had know you guys had that thing when I was down there. Would have been interesting.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
Site Team

Finally bit the bullet and took the Cruiser in to the shop. He pulled the thermistor out and called Norcold and talked with the tech there, all the time taking an ohm reading with the thermistor in a glass of ice water. From the reading he got, the tech told him it was junk! So there is a new one on order, hope it solves the problem.
Dan, maybe that's your problem???

Old 06-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

A bad thermistor probably isn't the problem with your fridge.

Per Dometic, it wasn't designed to operate in temps above 90 degrees.

There is a whole string about this ....14 pages of comments.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...s.asp?TID=3593

Edited by: rollingrock
rollingrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
Site Team

I don't have a Dometic, it's a Norcold.
We haven't seen temps in the 90s yet this year.
According to the factory tech,it's the thermistor---per the readings we gave him over the phone.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

We have the norcold and have been known to have one or two days that the temps go over 90 degrees, has all ways kept every thing cold. I admit that when we leave I will load the drawer up with ice to get the refrig down quiker

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Our Jayco had a Norcold...it worked 10X better than the Dometics.

rollingrock is offline   Reply With Quote