Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2009, 01:58 AM   #21
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Dead on and point well taken. They really should rate the shops - they have done this in the off-road market (ATV, snowmobiles, etc.)
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #22
Seasonal Camper

no way are they going to rate dealers, first they want every one they can get, if dealers bought at different prices and that got around the dealer who paid more would simply drop crossroads and pick up another brand, not a hard thing to do, and remember what you may think is really lousy service may seem real good to someone else, and for them to steer you to a dealer and tell you that another is not that good is a lawsuit waiting to happen, I think in reality we need to remember that htese a just campers, man made, not a life long committment, if you get one and dont like it, sell it, and buy another brand, I personally think all RV service sucks, I have had 3 crossroads products, and they all go back to the factory for repair, easier and less hassle.....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #23
Full Time Camper

Mbinohio , I respectfully disagree. CR wouldn’t want every dealer they can get. Look at the domestic auto mfg’s� One of the issues that have brought about their financial challenges is the large dealer network. All that happens is margin is driven down, you need to work harder to make a sale and you flood the market with slow movinginventory creating excess. Also, why would a dealer want this type of competition? Personally, I feel one of the value sells of a dealer is their loyalty to a mfg and how long they have represented that mfg. There is a dealer near my house, and in the past 5 years he has changed mfg’s 3x. To me that sends a signal of how can he learn the mfg and the mfg’s processes for inventory staging, selling / filing warranty work etc.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><O:P></O:P>

I just find it sad that one has to bring their unit back to the factory for repair, because dealer’s in their area suck. I realize these units are man-made and they are going to have issues. I would like to see CR rank the dealer based on the dealer’s investment in tech training, sales training and marketing. It’s done in other industries. Example Ford has the “Blue Oval� certification.

I'm happy with my dealer, I just feel for others as it give the product a bad name and not the dealer. Edited by: salda01

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #24
Seasonal Camper

I think to think that a dealer is loyal to a brand is nieve at best, all business people are loyal to the buck, that's what pays the bills, the sell the unit with the greatest % of profit they can find, and they want a company that pays quick on warranty work, the brand is immeterial to them, the probably dropped a brand to see crossroads and they would drop crossroads in a minute if something better came along, the dealer by you who changed 3 times is looking to maximise his profits, to sell a unit and make no money is not a good business practice, and crossroads activley seeks dealers, all dealers are in "protected terrority" and they look for dealers outside of the terrority line, crossroads is not a selective product, it's a mid to low end mass produced unit, the more you make and the faster you make them the building cost becomes cheaper and the more you sell, the more you make, and rest assured there main concern is the bottom line, if a few bad units come out along the way it's simply the cost of doing business, and to rate RV service techs would not be easy, most were in lube shops or a walmart last week, they are by no means overpaid service techs, there are some good ones, not too many, most are very young guys who owna few tools and think they are "techs "....also check around and see what kind of money they make....and I agreee about going to tha factory for service, my dealer is 45 minutes away, to get something fixed, takes weeks at best, and if you give them a list I can assure you only half ever gets done, they are real good at excuses, so after 3 or 4 trips it maight be done or you simply just give up, it's less than 4 hrs from here to the factory, take it there it's done in a few hours, no excuses, all the parts are there and no stress headache, I would rather patronize my dealer but I refuse to put up with the hassle, when I but my next unit, and hopefully soon, I will buy from a manufacture that I can drive to for service.........it's easier and way less hassle...........my opinion

Old 03-06-2009, 01:54 AM   #25
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I worked a visit to the factory repair center in April. Not becuase my dealer can't do the work - they are very capable. It's just the headache for them (and me) waiting for ordered parts, opening in schedule, etc.

The factory has all the parts and labor so to me, the fact that CR allows factory repair and customer's to make the appointment is a real plus. Some people think it's terrible to have to bring a unit to the factory for repairs. I view it the other way, I have a small punch list of issues I want fixed in a quick manner - so let the guys who built it fix it!

Carriage and a few other's have setup the same factory service center's and they seem very popular.Edited by: mwebber78
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #26
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78

The factory has all the parts and labor so to me, the fact that CR allows factory repair and customer's to make the appointment is a real plus. Some people think it's terrible to have to bring a unit to the factory for repairs. I view it the other way, I have a small punch list of issues I want fixed in a quick manner - so let the guys who built it fix it!

Not arguing, just stating another view. Yes, it would be nice to go straight to the factory for repairs, but when the factory is 1000 miles away, taking 2-3 days of driving and a heck of a lot of diesel...thensome dealer(s) should be able to make any and all repairs that you may need. I've never had to send a vehicle back to the factory to make repairs, nor a television, home appliance, lawn mower, power tools, etc, etc. They all have regional repair centers. Those of you who are within reasonable driving distance to the factory are very fortunate indeed.

Having put my $.02 in, let me also say that (Knock on wood), I have have/needed 0 repairs on our unit since it left the dealer's lot.

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #27
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra909
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78

Not arguing, just stating another view. Yes, it would be nice to go straight to the factory for repairs, but when the factory is 1000 miles away, taking 2-3 days of driving and a heck of a lot of diesel...thensome dealer(s) should be able to make any and all repairs that you may need. I've never had to send a vehicle back to the factory to make repairs, nor a television, home appliance, lawn mower, power tools, etc, etc. They all have regional repair centers. Those of you who are within reasonable driving distance to the factory are very fortunate indeed.

Having put my $.02 in, let me also say that (Knock on wood), I have have/needed 0 repairs on our unit since it left the dealer's lot.

i agree living far from the factory can make it a hassel to have them do warranty work. that being said i was having a water leak over my entrance door and my dealer after three attempts did nothing but wipe chaulk all over the place. so i went to a local rv show with intentions of trading in my unit for anothr crossroads product. it was'nt even 1 year old. long story short i talked with the crossroads rep at the show and he offered to transport my trailer from long island n.y. to the factory.(i think about 1000 miles one way) they made the repair and took care of some other things. my local dealer is a moron who had all of the units on his property taking away from him. i would never give him my money but i will be buying crossroads products again.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #28
Full Time Camper

I think we are all in agreement that CR factory service is a huge plus and sometimes it could be that key deciding factor in purchase.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

Again personally, I think it would be of benefit to have a dealer hierarchy that is readily available on CR website again utilizing customer responses, dealership environment, dealership inventory, service tech factory training, etc.

Those dealer who invest in the parameters to be a let’s just say “Premier CR Dealer� would gain access to financial benefits as increased payment terms, better unit discounts, quicker warranty payback claims, decreased lead times on order units, CR corporate person on site at trade-shows, ability to represent all CR products regardless of “protected territories�, These dealers would be the only ones with access to packages like “Patriot or Provincial�. The things would set them apart from a stealer looking to make a quick buck.

Dealers who elect not to invest in their business or care about customer support and hire “the Walmart tech�. Would just be that a Walmart for trailers. The Walmart model works for low cost, low quality, no after sale support.

Ultimately the customer base would decide who they would want to patronize. For me it would be the dealer who invests and shows loyalty. To me it says something if a dealer can say “ I have been a CR dealer for 10 years� “ Avg. tech expericens is xx years. This tells me that this dealer has the ability to adapt during good times and bad and has made a profit through turning units and providing outstanding service.

Again just something I would like see..

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #29
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
Well on thefifth I spoke to Randy on my way to camp and I have an appointment on April 14th to have every thing fixed. He said they are going to put 3 techs on my 5er and try and have everything done that one day. He said that they were going to go over everything on the unit, that I should not have this many problems with it.

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #30
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
Well it happened this weekend. My spice rack behind the stove was hanging out, well now it is in my basement. Every trip it would work its way out a little more. I now don't have to worry about it hanging out, just to remember to take it with me when I go to the factory.

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #31
New Camper

Not a Happy Camper I know what you are going through. My Cruiser 5th wheel has been in the shop all week. The caulk came away from the top of the slide so moisture got between the rubber and the fiberglass and has rippled it. Wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't got up on top to check the slides and noticed the ripples and the rubber coming apart in the middle of theslide. Dealer tried to get covered under structural damage but Of courseCrossroadssaid not covered.Dealer said they found all the caulk was bad which is visually obvious (cracked and missing)and the big slide rubber was alsostarting to come apart. So I just paid to have everything on this unit recaulked and the rubber on slides redoneDealer said good thing we had the caulk replaced because when they redidthe windows some already had water in them so it wasjust a matter of time. The dealer hasbeen nice enough to reducehis fee on labor and even fix items for free. Also this past summer I noticed a water spot on back window blind. Turns out large back window was leaking.(bad caulk)Crossroads fixed window under warranty but did not cover the blind that was stained. Its an 06 and I already ripples in fiberglass where water got inand a stained blind. As much as a person pays for these units you would think you could get more than 3 years before you should have to worry about a leak. This is our 4th unit due the fact we have upgraded and our firstCrossroads unit.Not real happy at the moment.Our dealer says they are real tough about fixin stuff under warranty. Its just pretty obvious that this did not happen due to our neglect. Sorry had to vent these are not the only issues we have had.

cruzinIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #32
Seasonal Camper

Sorry Tina, I ain't coming down on you, but you really need to read your warranty. Caulk is not a warrantied item and neither is damage caused by failing to repair it. You are responsible to inspect and repair cracked or pealing caulk. Note that in the back of your owner's manual that there is an annual inspection form tobe completed as instructed to ensure that the five year structural warranty will be honored. The warranty is a good one, but it is conditional. Edited by: BDLuke
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #33
Family Vacation Member

CruzinIL: is the problem on the slide itself or the rubber seal or wiper on thewall surronding the opening that the slide goes into thatmakes a seal against the elements?

I hope my question is clear because I want to check mine. I wonder if silicone would workor would that have a detremental effect on the rubber seal?
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #34
Family Vacation Member

malojeer, I believe they use Polyurethane caulk at the factory. Supposedly much more flexible than silicone and not supposed to mildew as bad. Also better for dissimiliar materials (wood/glass, metal/fiberglass, rubber/fiberglass, etc) When I built my metal clad shop in '90, I used silicone around penetrations (electrical conduit, pvc water, etc), it didn't last very long at all. I found out about polyurethane, used that in ~1999 and it still there with 0 signs of peeling, deterioration, etc.

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:42 PM   #35
Family Vacation Member

I must be crazy, I couldn't sleep so went out and climbed up on our 08 CF32BL and noticed that the sealanton the top slide seals on two of the slides is split where the top of the seal is against the main wall. The factory has a bead of caulking along the very top. It split once already and before we left on our last trip I resealed it but its split again. I will consult crossroads to see what they suggest but appreciate the info on polyurethane calking. I will ask about that.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #36
Seasonal Camper

I just bought 2 50' rolls of etrnabond tape and 2 bottles of spray cleaner, from Bestmaterial, I have no leaks, so as a precaution I am going to seal both front and rear caps, all the vent openings and any other hole on the roof, I also intend to seal the edge roof on all of the slides, it cost me 140.00 to buy all the material, alot cheaper than a repair and once it's done it will never leak, seems a small price to pay for peace of mind, caulk is an every year job, and the warantee does not cover any watre leaks because it was not done...

Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #37
Seasonal Camper

Checking the caulk and resealing as needed is a maintenance item and as stated before, not a warranty issue. I am consideringsealing everything witheternabond also. I keep "mulling it over" but can't really come up with a downside to doing it. The only issue I can see would be if, for instance, The skylight over the shower would become cracked and need replaced. How would you deal with the eternabond? Once it is applied, it doesn't come back up. I guess you would just cut through it at the edge of the skylight then put new eternabond down over the old?

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #38
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDLuke
Sorry Tina, I ain't coming down on you, but you really need to read your warranty. Caulk is not a warrantied item and neither is damage caused by failing to repair it. You are responsible to inspect and repair cracked or pealing caulk. Note that in the back of your owner's manual that there is an annual inspection form tobe completed as instructed to ensure that the five year structural warranty will be honored. The warranty is a good one, but it is conditional.
I agree, That is a normal yearly or bi-yearly thing to do. I do mine twice a year, when I get IT out in the Spring (when I wash down the roof &amp; sidewalls &amp; wax) &amp; in the late fall, early winter when I put IT in storage (when I.....same as above). A little work &amp; maintenance really does go a long, long....way!

02 F250 PSD

07 Cruiser: CF29RK

You CAN get there from here it just takes longer https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/100_1893.jpg
riverotter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #39
Family Vacation Member

I mean't the top wiper where it mounts to the wall the bead of caulking is split.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:14 AM   #40
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra909
I believe they use Polyurethane caulk at the factory. Supposedly much more flexible than silicone and not supposed to mildew as bad. Also better for dissimiliar materials (wood/glass, metal/fiberglass, rubber/fiberglass, etc)

When I was at the Warranty Service Center, I begged Randyfor a tube of thesealant they use, my camper wasre-skinnedwith gel coat due to frog-skin defective sidewalls.

Thesealant is Silaprene Royal Seal 1000 http://royaladhesives.com/products.asp?division_id=4&amp;products_id=93(13011 white) It is a solvent based sealant.

Now finding where to buy it is another thing. I think you can get it at Hahn Systems.

ProFlex from Camping World is similar and works well.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote