Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447
NuvoH2o Water Softener

Hi all, I saw this product on TV and was wondering if anyone has ever used anything like this? I already use a filtration system, but I have been to some parks with well water that was a little hard. Thinking of what happens to water heaters even in city environments, my thoughts are the cost of this may offset the cost of problems with my RV water heater or water system altogether. Any comments are appreciated. Here's the link:

http://www.nuvoh2o.com/nuvo-systems/...io-system.html

Thanks, and travel well,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Site Team

You could get a much cheaper one that does the exact same thing. Check this out : http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...r-softener.htm

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

IMHO that is overkill. In the first place, I really don't worry about the water heater. The next park down the road will have better water and flush itself out. You probably also drain and fill the water heater at home at least a few times a year (winterize?) which also flushes the water. A cheaper filter will not soften the water but will filter out particles/sediment.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

This is the unit that I use while set up for five months during the winter months.
http://www.portablewatersoftener.com/
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

The process dose work but I talk to my chemist friend about it and he said the filter system is to small to have much of a benefit.

Chelate effect

Ethylenediamine ligand, binding to a central atom with two bonds

Cu2+ complexes with methylamine (left) and ethylenediamine (right)

The chelate effect describes the enhanced affinity of chelating ligands for a metal ion compared to the affinity of a collection of similar nonchelating (monodentate) ligands for the same metal.
Consider the two equilibria, in aqueous solution, between the copper(II) ion, Cu2+ and ethylenediamine (en) on the one hand and methylamine, MeNH2 on the other.
Cu2+ + en [Cu(en)]2+ (1)Cu2+ + 2 MeNH2 [Cu(MeNH2)2]2+ (2) In (1) the bidentate ligand ethylene diamine forms a chelate complex with the copper ion. Chelation results in the formation of a five–membered ring. In (2) the bidentate ligand is replaced by two monodentate methylamine ligands of approximately the same donor power, meaning that the enthalpy of formation of Cu—N bonds is approximately the same in the two reactions. Under conditions of equal copper concentrations and when the concentration of methylamine is twice the concentration of ethylenediamine, the concentration of the complex (1) will be greater than the concentration of the complex (2). The effect increases with the number of chelate rings so the concentration of the EDTA complex, which has six chelate rings, is much much higher than a corresponding complex with two monodentate nitrogen donor ligands and four monodentate carboxylate ligands. Thus, the phenomenon of the chelate effect is a firmly established empirical fact.
T
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Wow,
Mark, Stan and Russ, thanks so much, and these two models do look like they could do the trick. I do already use a filtration system so I think either one of these will do the trick.

Lee, wow, what can I say, you went well above anything I could have hoped to receive in reply. Thank your friend for all the good information too. That's what I love about this forum, so much good and usable information, I have never been failed when asking questions.

I much appreciate all the replies. I will look at the 2 units recommended and make a decision from there. I know some feel it may be overkill, but we full time so I want to do all I can do to keep things running smoothly. And being able to test the water when you arrive will determine whether or not the softener is even necessary.

thanks everyone, so very much,
Travel well,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
Old 12-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I use this one! http://www.osmocore.com/products/sof...-portable-400/
There is a smaller model available also.
The softner will help prevent buildup though out the whole plumbing system not just the heater. Of course, all water sources are different.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Site Team

A question comes to mind about using these products.
Is this something that would be used pretty much by full timers, and/or 3-4 month seasonal units and not something that the weekend camper would consider?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I'm a snowbird and use mine for fives months while in FL. I don't use it while on short trips. I've had it for several years and am well satisfied.
2009 F-150XLT
Old 12-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Glad to see this post. I plan on purchasing one when we go full time and was planning on the Flowpur Mark 8000. This will give me more options to look at. I have already built a "whole house" filter and planned on installing a water softener next to it on the outside of the trailer. I prefer not to have a water filter in the unit after having issues with ours.

http://www.flowpur.com/html/rv_water_softener.html
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Hunter, The Mark8000 looks like the "On The Go" softener that I have. CW sells the On the GO and has it on sale from time to time.
http://www.portablewatersoftener.com/Water-Softeners
2009 F-150XLT
Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
Site Team

I use a whole house water filter when ever I hook up to campground water. Depending on the campground, and sometimes the area of the country we are in will dictate which filter I use in the canister. Around the mid west I will normally install a plain old sediment cartridge. If we are out west in the sulfur water area I install a charcoal cartridge. To my knowledge neither one is a "softener"
When I leave the campground I throw the cartridge away unless we will be setting up again that night. I don't like to save the cartridge very long. I'm afraid of molds growing in the damp wet environment very rapidly in the warmer weather.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

We are 6 month [half timers] so I would not recommend the unit I mentioned. It works well for us but for a traveler, there are smaller units more suitable. I regenerate mine every couple weeks or so since we have on-board laundry. The specs say "up to 2400 gal on city water" I figure 5-600 gal for our use. Amazon has these units also.
The small units I am familiar with are longer that a regular filter cartridge and about 30-36 inches long. Regenerate with table salt.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

I used a charcoal filter right before my city water hook up and/or before filling tank. I think it makes a difference. If I was going to spend any significant amount of time in the TT a water softener would be awesome. I have one for the house and would never be without one again.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

I bought the On The Go Water Softener for use while wintering in the Rio Grande Valley where the water is extremely hard. While normal regeneration is 700 gallons, I had a schedule of every two weeks when I dumped my tanks. That may have been overly heavy, but I erred on the side of safety. I really like it so far.

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
Old 11-18-2019, 09:00 PM   #16
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
You could get a much cheaper one that does the exact same thing. Check this out : https://www.gearhunder.com/best-water-softener-reviews/
Agree that such a water filter is much more convenient. My landlord provided me with such a filter, it is not very large, I connected it to the water pipe. I can clearly feel that the water quality has improved a lot.
DonnDonna is offline   Reply With Quote