Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

OK, I'm sick about this (awning damage new 270bh)

As posted earlier I took delivery of my new Sunset Trail 270bh about two weeks ago. Love the trailer, have spent three whole nights out in it.

Before delivery, I searched for a storage yard with covered storage. I found one reasonably close by, and the young man in the store said he would have a covered unit when I returned with the rig. Upon arrival, I was informed that the young man I spoke to was the owners son, and there was not covered space available. I took their only available slot having just returned from a 700 mile trip, an uncovered space, and returned later that day to lock it finding that a yard maintenance service had the 4 adjacent slots. They literally had their truck and trailer rig parked within 12 to 18 inches of my new trailer. Not being at all comfortable with this, I hitched up and tried to squeeze a few more inches between the rigs, and immediately began searching for a new storage yard, covered or not, the next day. I found one within a week, willing to pay double rent.

I went this afternoon to move my rig to the new yard and upon moving it, noticed that the awning was hanging 4inches from the side of the trailer. I immediately realized that what I feared had occurred, that the maintenance guys, in a hurry after a long day, scraped the side of my trailer and knocked off the awning. Thinking the awning might have just been knocked off track, I tried to extend it and the left top pivot came completely off, awning unattached, and arm extended 8', unsecured. I took pictures of all before leaving, secured the extended arm with duct tape and took the rig to the new yard. Many bad words were said in the meantime.

I have a call in to the yard service and a claim working with my insurance company. I want the exact awning replacement from Crossroads as the rig was brand new, and am concerned about getting this repair done to bring the trailer back to it's brand new state. Do I need to bring it to a dealer or can any RV repair shop do this? Any advice from someone with a similar claim or repair is appreciated.
Kingfish58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

My Cruiser was storm damaged earlier this year. I took it to a fairly local dealer with a good reputation for quality repair work. It took them a while, because they had to replace the roof, suspension, and repair damage to the fiberglass cap and side panel, but they did a good job and you can't tell anything ever happened to it. I've had it out in some blinding rains and no leaks. So, my advice would be to do your homework and make sure that wherever you carry it has a good reputation. That may be easier said than done, but if you know other RVers, talk to them. If it is as simple as replacing the awning, I would think any RV repair shop could handle that, and you should just insist on an exact replacement. If there is paint and body work required, you definitely want to look for a reputable shop as fiberglass repair and painting isn't something every body shop excels at.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I know how you feel. We got our new Sunset Trail Reserve last fall. We had camped one day in it. Vandals broke into the storage area and stole a bunch of stuff from a lot of rv's and boats. The thieves broke our kitchen window (dumb idiots) because it was on the kitchen slide so they couldn't reach the door lock. Then they broke the door window. They couldn't figure out how to get the tv off the swivel so we didn't lose anything...just ended up with two broken windows and a mess to clean up. Then, last July, our first vacation with the trailer, we were sitting at a Love's store in Oklahoma waiting to pull up to the gas pump when an idiot pulling a 40' enclosed work trailer came around the corner and clipped the back passenger side. Fortunately, our bumper mounted grill rack saved our trailer from major damage but it was incredible how stupid the guy was. He hit our trailer with the middle of his trailer. Very frustrating to have something new and beautiful and to have idiots doing stupid stuff!

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

This is exactly why we leave it on our seasonal site versus a storage lot. I know for many that is not an option, but fortunately for us we don't have to take it somewhere for storage since we seasonally camp. Good luck with repairs!
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

This is why mine is parked in my driveway. It is hooked up to elec, water and has a macerator on the drain. Only drawback is -- the kids (53 and 52) bring their kids and grandkids to use mom and dads mobile motel for their vacation at Myrtle Beach. How much rent should I charge????

Jim Latour
Generator Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generator Jim View Post
This is why mine is parked in my driveway. It is hooked up to elec, water and has a macerator on the drain. Only drawback is -- the kids (53 and 52) bring their kids and grandkids to use mom and dads mobile motel for their vacation at Myrtle Beach. How much rent should I charge????

Jim Latour

Jim,

Where do you drain your tanks? Do you have a waste line outside?

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
Jim,

Where do you drain your tanks? Do you have a waste line outside?
X2 , hope your black water doesn't just get chopped up and put in the storm drains...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
X2 , hope your black water doesn't just get chopped up and put in the storm drains...
Ouch!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Old 10-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish58 View Post
As posted earlier I took delivery of my new Sunset Trail 270bh about two weeks ago. Love the trailer, have spent three whole nights out in it.

Before delivery, I searched for a storage yard with covered storage. I found one reasonably close by, and the young man in the store said he would have a covered unit when I returned with the rig. Upon arrival, I was informed that the young man I spoke to was the owners son, and there was not covered space available. I took their only available slot having just returned from a 700 mile trip, an uncovered space, and returned later that day to lock it finding that a yard maintenance service had the 4 adjacent slots. They literally had their truck and trailer rig parked within 12 to 18 inches of my new trailer. Not being at all comfortable with this, I hitched up and tried to squeeze a few more inches between the rigs, and immediately began searching for a new storage yard, covered or not, the next day. I found one within a week, willing to pay double rent.

I went this afternoon to move my rig to the new yard and upon moving it, noticed that the awning was hanging 4inches from the side of the trailer. I immediately realized that what I feared had occurred, that the maintenance guys, in a hurry after a long day, scraped the side of my trailer and knocked off the awning. Thinking the awning might have just been knocked off track, I tried to extend it and the left top pivot came completely off, awning unattached, and arm extended 8', unsecured. I took pictures of all before leaving, secured the extended arm with duct tape and took the rig to the new yard. Many bad words were said in the meantime.

I have a call in to the yard service and a claim working with my insurance company. I want the exact awning replacement from Crossroads as the rig was brand new, and am concerned about getting this repair done to bring the trailer back to it's brand new state. Do I need to bring it to a dealer or can any RV repair shop do this? Any advice from someone with a similar claim or repair is appreciated.
KingFish58,

If it is just the awning and nothing structural, check with reputable dealer and you should be just fine. Those awnings are fully replaceable.

Thanks for posting. This could be a lesson for others to refuse a spot next to someone other than fellow rv owners.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:19 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Unfortunately parking at my house is not an option. I've spoken with Crossroads and the dealer, new awning should be ordered today. The lawn service guy was not very happy to hear from me but said he would make it right. Trailer is in a new spot close to my house, nothing but boats and rv's sitting next to her. Hopefully I'll have it put back together soon.
Kingfish58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Seniors trailer rules: Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4 , SLEEPS 2
Winterpegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Yep moved the worthless sleeper sofa out Sat and replaced it with a double recliner with a console. Sleeping for 2. If push comes to shove we do have a queen size air mattress but don't advertise it.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

For those worried about my sewer dumping; My septic tank is in the middle of my "Y" shaped driveway. The county said it was going there or nowhere. My garage is consequently 26 feet wide by 28 feet deep and the top of the septic tank is a flower bed at the front center of the garage. Up against the front wall is a pvc hose connection that dumps into the septic tank and a 70 foot commercial 3/4" hose connects to the macerator.
Thank you for your faith in a fellow camper.
Generator Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
For those worried about my sewer dumping; My septic tank is in the middle of my "Y" shaped driveway. The county said it was going there or nowhere. My garage is consequently 26 feet wide by 28 feet deep and the top of the septic tank is a flower bed at the front center of the garage. Up against the front wall is a pvc hose connection that dumps into the septic tank and a 70 foot commercial 3/4" hose connects to the macerator.
Jim,

Based on all your previous posts we've read, I assumed you had some kind of setup, that's why I asked. Not questioning if you were doing something wrong.

I apologize if my posts offended you. The shot of Randy Quaid wasn't directed at you, I just take every chance to jump on an RV/Christmas Vacation reference when I get the chance!

Old 10-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterpegger View Post
Seniors trailer rules: Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4 , SLEEPS 2
That's pretty good. I like that!
Allison Transmission
Fatboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
Jim,

Based on all your previous posts we've read, I assumed you had some kind of setup, that's why I asked. Not questioning if you were doing something wrong.

I apologize if my posts offended you. The shot of Randy Quaid wasn't directed at you, I just take every chance to jump on an RV/Christmas Vacation reference when I get the chance!
Nothing like a Cousin Eddie shot to liven up a thread, lol.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Ellen Griswold: What are you looking at?
Clark Griswold: Oh, the silent majesty of a winter's morn... the clean, cool chill of the holiday air... and an a**hole in his bathrobe, emptying a chemical toilet into my sewer...

Old 10-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Ahhh...the classics.

Since I go by Eddy, Cousin Eddy is a (too) common reference at camp.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Nice set-up .

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote