Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Our first trip

We just got back from out first trip. We hauled about 100 miles and stayed 10 days. It was pretty successful. When we got there, one side of out front jack wouldn't go down. After messing with it for a while, we just used the 8 ton bottle jack from the truck for that side. It stayed like that for the 10 days until we loaded up to leave. We worked through some minor issues and I have a list of 7 things front to back that need repair. Not bad for a 1998. Some are really easy, some are more complicated.
1) Jack - being fixed with the roof
2)Bath and shower exhaust fans, blades are broken off. Found these on amazon for around $6 each
3) Outside and sink outlets not working. My brother in law looked at these for a bit but I think he couldn't get them working because the bathroom gfi was tripped.
4) the lights on the slide are glitchy. If you put some pressure on the fixture they work, but don't when you release it. Needs more investigation.
5) We still have some brake/tail/marker lights out even after replacing the bulbs and some lights. I am going to get my mechanic to take a look since he only charges $25/hr where the rv place charges $90/hr.
6) The bedroom door is off the track. There may be a piece broken. I was going to take a look while I was on the trip, but never got up the energy to do it. I was very lazy on vacation.
7) Leaky black water valve. This one is the most complicated and probably the most serious right now. I put the front of the trailer all the way down to tape the roof before we left. I guess while it was down, the black water leaked into the pipe. When I raised it back up, it drained out. It doesn't really leak when the trailer is level. Also, this valve is inside a closed belly, so I am not really sure how to get to it. Also, I am not sure why it only leaked with the front end down.

In addition, the refrigerator doesn't seem to get very cold. The freezer freezes good though. Can the refrigerator need charging, or do they even do that, like an AC? Any suggestions?

Anyway, we had a great time and I LOVE the trailer.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Fridge needs to be fairly level to work properly, even while the freezer is working. there is also a thinggy that slides upward on the fin at the back of the fridge to adjust the temp. I will add there not as efficient as your home fridge, nor do they recover fast if door is open frequently.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceallenk View Post
Fridge needs to be fairly level to work properly, even while the freezer is working. there is also a thinggy that slides upward on the fin at the back of the fridge to adjust the temp. I will add there not as efficient as your home fridge, nor do they recover fast if door is open frequently.
Depends on how full the fridge is also can change how it cools.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Depends on how full the fridge is also can change how it cools.

I have found if you stack stuff in front of the fins, it will affect the cooling also. We try to keep that area empty of stuff. Another help is a small battery operated fan in the bottom of the fridge.
If you can park your rig so the fridge is in the shade and out of the sun it will also help.

Also sliding the thermister up or down on the fins will help to either warm it or cool it. This takes awhile to accomplish tho.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
New Camper

Don't cut into your underbelly... get one of these instead. It's a valve that goes onto your drain where you hook your sewer hose to. I have a small leak coming from my gray water valve and when I would take off the cap about a cup of water would spill out. This solved it
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-.../dp/B000BGHYJS
mattday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattday View Post
Don't cut into your underbelly... get one of these instead. It's a valve that goes onto your drain where you hook your sewer hose to. I have a small leak coming from my gray water valve and when I would take off the cap about a cup of water would spill out. This solved it
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-.../dp/B000BGHYJS

That is a great idea. I thought I would have to live with the leak for a while, but this would be an easy and inexpensive fix. Thanks so much.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:16 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Electrical

#3 - Electrical box underneath the slide out has a tendency to hold water. Take the cover off and water will probably run out. This should fix your GFIC problems.
gudde1251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I will check it out, but we have the longe slide, not the kitchen slide. Not sure if that makes any difference.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:35 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

As for the leaky black valve...probably a pieceof " something" stuck in the blade track . Try the " geo method" in your tank to see if this helps .may take a while but worth a shot .

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:59 AM   #10
Site Team

If it were mine I would get the extra valve but fix the black valve. Putting a Band-Aid on does not fix it. As for the refrigerator It took us a week to get ours set. With it empty one day to stabilize then check temp in freezer and main box them move thermistor then wait about 24 hours and check. Keep doing this till you get the lowest temps. in the freezer and main box.

Also it helps to add what camper you have. Year and Model.

Welcome and good luck!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
As for the leaky black valve...probably a pieceof " something" stuck in the blade track . Try the " geo method" in your tank to see if this helps .may take a while but worth a shot .
Thanks, that sounds like a good plan.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Also it helps to add what camper you have. Year and Model.

Sorry, I thought when I put that in my profile that it would show up here. I guess I am still not doing something right.

Anyway, my trailer is a 1998 carri-lite 5th wheel 34' with rear lounge slide.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:01 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

That’s interesting!
pandes is offline   Reply With Quote