Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Outside storage doors question/Open letter

I have a question and it could also be a open letter feature request.

I don't know everything about trailers, dont need to. But one thing thats aggravating that no one has been able to explain the last couple of places I remembered to ask is about outside storage doors.

If you open a door, and inside that door is a compartment that is 18inches from floor to ceiling and 24 inches from left to right, why is the door 16inches by 22inches (or less)?

There might be some reason the bottom usually being the floor of the camper needs a lip but the rest?
mlaporte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaporte View Post
I have a question and it could also be a open letter feature request.

I don't know everything about trailers, dont need to. But one thing thats aggravating that no one has been able to explain the last couple of places I remembered to ask is about outside storage doors.

If you open a door, and inside that door is a compartment that is 18inches from floor to ceiling and 24 inches from left to right, why is the door 16inches by 22inches (or less)?

There might be some reason the bottom usually being the floor of the camper needs a lip but the rest?
This is no different than any other type of constriction, there needs to be some space for errors in placement and/or trim. Your garage may be 20ft wide but the door is only 16ft. Your kitchen cabinets likely have openings smaller than the inside dimensions. But specifically, the exterior walls are built on a jig in one part of the factory while the interior partitions are installed someplace else. And when it all comes together, alignment won't be perfect everywhere. Unlike cars, the low volume and large sizes don't lend themselves to making stamped pieces that would have tighter tolerances.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Huh?
A confusing question and an even more confusing answer.
If the door is 2" smaller then existing opening, I'm not sure it's unusual enough to necessitate a straight forward answer.
I expect the door would be a usable size for reasonable access to that sized opening. I can't imagine that any door being 2" smaller, would inhibit use of that space whatsoever.
If the mfg had to use a 2" variable to "hope" internal pieces line up with exterior dimensions, then I can only imagine how a trailer might end up on an assembly line.
Maybe price, convenience, or design...but not purely crappy quality.
Reaching for answers? Yes in my opinion.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
Gone Traveling

Mostly it's because they make opening to fit the door not the other way. They have piles of doors ready to instal of certain sizes so they cut to fit the sizes of doors available. Take a tour of any of the manufacturer assembly lines,& it willl answer a lot of the WTF questions.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Huh?
A confusing question and an even more confusing answer.
If the door is 2" smaller then existing opening, I'm not sure it's unusual enough to necessitate a straight forward answer.
I expect the door would be a usable size for reasonable access to that sized opening. I can't imagine that any door being 2" smaller, would inhibit use of that space whatsoever.
If the mfg had to use a 2" variable to "hope" internal pieces line up with exterior dimensions, then I can only imagine how a trailer might end up on an assembly line.
Maybe price, convenience, or design...but not purely crappy quality.
Reaching for answers? Yes in my opinion.
When I visited the 'factory' they were building the same Criuser models in two different plants in order to keep both lines buzy. As a result, they had two sets of jigs for the exterior walls and you would be suprised at how different they were. My entry door rubbed on the underside of the awning, dictated by location of the storage door. Other units on the factory lot had the awning forward 1-5 inches therefore the awning rail was placed higher up the sidewall. Anyway, loose manufacturing tolerances and "crappy quality" are not the same thing.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:29 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Mostly it's because they make opening to fit the door not the other way. They have piles of doors ready to instal of certain sizes so they cut to fit the sizes of doors available. Take a tour of any of the manufacturer assembly lines,& it willl answer a lot of the WTF questions.
Ahh - that makes more sense. On the tour do they have WTF flags denoting answer locations?
Old 09-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

No flags, but you will notice some of the answers to your questions under that shiny exterior with an "Oh yea now I know why it did/didn't work".
Old 09-28-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Sorry but your explaination makes it sound like total chaos, ' hey Joe, look out back and see what size doors we have that will work.'

These units are designed and all parts are specified and ordered from suppliers. The walls are built on jigs with each opening framed for a specific size window, door, etc. Interior paneling installed and cutouts made. After the walls are installed, the exterior skin is attached to the frame and openings made per the framing.

My point is the door size is determined during the design phase not after the wall is built. These teams of designers, planners, purchasers and assembly workers deserve more credit than what you seem to be stating.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #9
Gone Traveling

Let's call it "almost organized chaos"! I personally saw a unit on the line with the interior walls in place & someone had attempted to hang the bathroom door & had at least 10 holes punched on all 3 of the 3 screw hinges & I'd bet their specific design didn't call for that. The folks slapping these together could care less how it goes out the door as long as their daily quota is met & they can go home by noon.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Mlaporte
If you don't know much about trailers and Don care to know why are you asking silly questions
Old 09-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Actually I don't think its a bad question since I have asked it myself. I have thought about enlarging the opening and installing a larger door but (sigh) in the end I am just too cheap/lazy. It would be so nice to have those few extra inches of height to get stuff in and out, though.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Not quite sure where you read I don't know much and don't care, I said I don't know everything and I don't need to. I do know a good amount more than some and I have a legitimate question as it is very frustrating to not be able to use the whole area in the storage.

Thanks to everyone who answered!
Old 10-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I guess I misread your post. I know the travel trailers could put in bigger access doors like the fth wheels and motor homes have but do not know why they do not