Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Oven use, how good are they

Thinking about the recent thread calling out that the freezers are okay, but not as good as residential fridges, I was wondering about ovens. Small obviously, but how do they compare? 400 is 400 degrees no matter the oven right?

We are entering hot summer in Colorado and with the wildfires, more places are enacting the summer campfire bans. Which means I have to move cooking to the grill or inside, therefore why not use the oven since we've never used it. We've only used the stovetop once since we got the camper. Just prefer cooking outside.

So any advice on anything different to expect from the oven?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We've used ours for cooking bread, pies, cinnamon buns, etc. while away. Works great. We just set the temp 25 degrees below what is called for because they are plenty hot.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

The size is the main drawback. They cook fine, but you just can't fit much in there.

Just like with the stove, make sure you open a vent and fan, because the normal smoke that comes from cooking or baking is enough to set off the smoke alarms in the small confines of an RV. We call it "mommy's camping cook timer".
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

You can buy an oven thermometer and check to see how close your oven is to the temperatures on the control.

One complaint has always been that the bottom of the food cooks too much. One way to distribute heat more evenly is to place a baking stone under the bottom rack. It can even be a broken one.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
You can buy an oven thermometer and check to see how close your oven is to the temperatures on the control.

One complaint has always been that the bottom of the food cooks too much. One way to distribute heat more evenly is to place a bakings stone under the bottom rack. It can even be a broken one.
LoneOak,

you are a better cook than I, I have not had good results with our trailer oven. We have issues with dissipating the heat and the baking stone is great idea, but mostly we had problems with the oven getting hot enough. We've since abandoned using it and how have an oversized countertop convection we set on the range top.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have not been successful with baking brownies or anything like that, but I have used it successfully many times for casseroles. I can make some pretty awesome buttermilk biscuits in it, though.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

JUNK
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I've cooked a turkey breast for Thanksgiving, and more. I have noticed that frozen pizzas, even on a tray, are prone to getting "crusty" on the bottom. Make sure you keep the rear vents clear (no, they are not knife holders) and the oven vent fan on, with damper flap unlocked.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:38 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee View Post
JUNK

Is that the old cruiser---or the new Winnebago?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:46 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post

One complaint has always been that the bottom of the food cooks too much. One way to distribute heat more evenly is to place a baking stone under the bottom rack. It can even be a broken one.
Solid idea on the thermometer, I will take my kitchen one this trip to test. For now only considering simple things like biscuits etc so a stone would definitely help if it has issues.

On the upside, I checked and the area we are going doesn't have a fire ban and don't plan on it, however about 100 miles away 16,000 acre fire is active.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:57 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Lloyd, both stoves are the same. We tried to bake in the one in the 5ver, even with a pizza stone with poor results. we have a convection/microwave and use it. the oven is an additional storage unit.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #12
Site Team

Just teasing you Walt.

We have never used the oven in any unit we have ever owned.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

We cooked everything from thanksgiving turkey to cookies and they turned out great. The DW is having problems with the new convection microwave though
Old 07-20-2016, 07:46 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
The size is the main drawback. They cook fine, but you just can't fit much in there.

Just like with the stove, make sure you open a vent and fan, because the normal smoke that comes from cooking or baking is enough to set off the smoke alarms in the small confines of an RV. We call it "mommy's camping cook timer".
LMAO....Mommy's Cooking....love it! Mine went off on the weekend and I was like seriously! Never had it happen in the old TT!

2017 Sunset Trail 290QB
2014 RAM 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
petenally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbaZabba View Post
Thinking about the recent thread calling out that the freezers are okay, but not as good as residential fridges, I was wondering about ovens. Small obviously, but how do they compare? 400 is 400 degrees no matter the oven right?

We are entering hot summer in Colorado and with the wildfires, more places are enacting the summer campfire bans. Which means I have to move cooking to the grill or inside, therefore why not use the oven since we've never used it. We've only used the stovetop once since we got the camper. Just prefer cooking outside.

So any advice on anything different to expect from the oven?
So glad you asked this as I was wondering. We took delivery of our trailer last week and I was trying to use everything on the weekend so I could get the problems worked out if there were any. I bought a package of the half cooked bread but never got around to baking it as I was afraid to try it out.
Thanks for asking what I was wondering about!

2017 Sunset Trail 290QB
2014 RAM 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
petenally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:34 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

If you put a large porcelain floor tile on the metal bottom of the oven the heat is diffused so that the bottom or one side of the food doesn't scorch. We could never cook anything in it until we learned this trick.

The manufacturers are missing out not installing these at the factory. Not only do they work but they could charge $79.99 for an OEM replacement part that they get at Home Depot for $3.00.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:08 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

When we bought our first trailer in 2004 there was an industry wide shortage of ovens. There was a factory in China that manufactured one crucial part and they went out of business. RVs shipped without ovens for about a year and then the microwave/convection ovens became the standard. My wife as disappointed though, so I found her an oven and had it installed later that year for Christmas. She always loved it (except for the smoke alarm thing).
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote