Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Angry Over Filled Fresh Water Tank

I over filled my tank on my Cruiser this afternoon. Broke the supports below. It also buckled the floor. Has anyone seen or heard of this happening before? I have filled this tank about 5 times in the past never had a problem.
2012 Cruiser CFL28 RL
Busterman1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

This is a pretty common issue, and not just with CR products. On my '04 Cruiser I had to 'improve' the fresh water tank. The factory uses flat metal straps (3) and a piece of plywood. The combo of too few straps and too thin plywood is just a problem waiting to happen. Anyway, it was too difficult to replace the plywood, so I replaced the flat straps with 1" square steel tubes, (but like 6 or 7 tubes) that were screwed into the cross-member supports. Never had another problem with the tank sagging.

I never travel with a full tank. Instead I leave home with just 10-15 gallons and then fill the tank at the campground.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

If it broke the supports below AND buckled the floor above you may have over pressured the tank and it expanded like a balloon. The fresh water tank is supposed to be gravity fed slowly so the air in the tank can escape as water enters.

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

This can happen if you fill too fast. The fill hose blocks the input hole and the vent can't keep up with the increasing pressure as the tank fills. If the tank can't release the air and water especially near the point of almost full then a rupture can occur. I fill mine 1/2 to 2/3 and then stop, let the vent pressure "catch up" and then fill the remainder slowly. I also did what Larry did and added heavier plywood support plus added two more 2" "C" channel steel bars bolted to the frame. No more sagging plywood.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote