Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Hi,

During our 2 week trip to Yellowstone our two bottom shelves on our pantry collapsed. My bride packed our canned goods and was a bit overzealous on the bottom shelf and and I guess pasta and bread on the second shelf was too much weight (insert sarcasm).

I know when you have an ultralight trailer, there are downsides, but the way the shelves are braced on the right side to just the external laminate seems like its a problem waiting to happen.

It's under warranty, but I don't want the dealer to just glue everything back in place, this was a design "enhancement" to keep it "light" I'm sure......Anyone have any ideas to reinforce the shelf (pix are bonus). I've already reinforced the bottom shelf that sits over the breaker box and converter. Now, you can sit in there if you wanted too!...that was easy since I can go to the floor with supports.

I've glued/stapled the right shelf braces for the removable shelves, but it looks like the laminate/plywood will simply give also.

Thinking of running a sheet of plywood up and down the whole wall inside, but that means I've got to cut down the shelves....

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I just had the same thing happen 2 weeks ago. Have a post in the sunset trail section. I took down all the plastic track and replaced it with metal. As for the bottom who puts 1/8 inch plywood on the bottom of a pantry. (RV's I guess). I managed to get some metal braces under the bottom for support.
Brian
Badwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the reply, but my 300BH does not have any plastic tracking. It's a basic wood shelf that sit on bars.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Lots of clever folks here if you could post pics.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote