Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Park Sewer Connection

Completely new to camping here, please excuse my inexperience.

I'm heading out next weekend to a fully serviced campground for the first time. I took a drive through the site today just to look at other people's setups and I noticed that this campground's sewer connection is about 8" above ground level.

A couple of campers had supports underneath their sewer hoses keeping them on a grade above the connection, but many had the hose laying on the ground then running up the side of and into the sewer connection. Would these people have their sewer outlets left open, allowing the hose to fill with black water? Or would they be camping using their holding tanks, and then going outside and supporting the hose when they dumped the tanks?

When sitting on a serviced campsite, is it preferred to leave the black and grey valves open to keep the tanks empty, or do people allow the tanks to fill, then periodically empty them?

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Never leave your black tank open. That is the best way to get the infamous brown stone mountain in your tank. Keep the tank closed and always keep a few gallons of water in it as well as whatever tank treatment you prefer (we are partial to the geo method). Don't drain black tank unless 2/3 full. If ready to leave, runs some water into it and then dump. Flush tank until clear water comes out when done emptying. We also don't leave our grey tank open out of personal preference but also because you can dump the grey tank after the black tAnk to help flush the line. We do go out and periodically empty our grey tank when full during a camping trip which is why we stay hooked up, so we can just open and close the valve as needed.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

x2 what anaro said,

To deal with high sewer drains and prevent sitting "stuff", I finally bought one of those accordian suppports for about 30 bucks on amazon. Good investment I think

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-43041-Si...r+hose+support

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Never leave your black tank open. That is the best way to get the infamous brown stone mountain in your tank. Keep the tank closed and always keep a few gallons of water in it as well as whatever tank treatment you prefer (we are partial to the geo method). Don't drain black tank unless 2/3 full. If ready to leave, runs some water into it and then dump. Flush tank until clear water comes out when done emptying. We also don't leave our grey tank open out of personal preference but also because you can dump the grey tank after the black tAnk to help flush the line. We do go out and periodically empty our grey tank when full during a camping trip which is why we stay hooked up, so we can just open and close the valve as needed.
...x3...Good advice.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to tomandlori
That was good to know. I learned a few new tricks here myself. Thanks for the info.
tomandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
x2 what anaro said,

To deal with high sewer drains and prevent sitting "stuff", I finally bought one of those accordian suppports for about 30 bucks on amazon. Good investment I think

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-43041-Si...r+hose+support

I got one of these from Wal Mart. It works great.
Chateau Duke To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Excellent advice here. Thanks Anaro! I have one of the accordian supports purchased, but it still won't be high enough to clear the drain. I'll just support the hose while emptying the black tank.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Yes, all very good advice.

You're going to find all kinds of interesting things at various campgrounds in your new adventures. Just returned from a two month trip where the last campground had a beautiful site we just had to stay in for our grand finale. Only problem was after setup we discovered that their sewer hookup was UPHILL from our trailer. Whaat? Ended up using the campground's dump site for final flushing and getting a discount on our site. Things (almost ) always work out.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I think that would be a good application for one of the macerator pumps.

Uphill!!! Unbelievable, well almost anyway.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
what are we up to? X4 or X5
anyway this is the way we do it as well..
Good advice

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote