Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We have a 5'er with 16" tires and rims. This makes the camper door very high off the ground. Our Basset Hound is having big problems with the steps. We took her on her first weekend trip over Labor Day weekend and I had to carry her up and down the steps as she would not even attempt them. We are looking at buying or making a folding pet ramp. Do any of you have and use a ramp for your dog? If so, your input would be much appreciated!

Maggie Mae (Basset Hound)

2008 Ford F-250 CC 5.4l 3.73

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot

Chazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

It might be cheaper (you would have to price them) to go get an aluminumloading ramp (Harbor Freight has some) and modify it than to try and build something. You could get the loading ramp (such as this one http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...amp-90799.html) screw some sheet aluminum to 1/2 of it and then glue some indoor-outdoor carpet to the aluminum sheet. Then you would be simply able to walk your dog up the ramp.

I will probably have to do something similar. I have a 107 lb 1/2 Doberman that has issues with stairs that he can see through. He is too heavy to pick up. I have to do the "put one foot in front of the other" trick and put a foot on a stair, then the other foot further up, then a back foot, then he can walk up once I get him going, It is sad, really sad........

If you have someone close that has a similar issue, you could go halves and solve the problem for each of you.

I taught our beagle to do the dog ramp atthe dog park this summer at the KOAon Hatteras Island, NC. It took a couple times showing her what to do, thenshe figured it out.

If you do build a ramp of some kind make you that somehow you fasten it so that it doesn't slide when your dog is going up or down, otherwise if shefalls that will be it, you will be carrying her up and down forever.

And since our beagle has some Bassett in herbackground and as such weighs 45 lbs, I would suspect yours is no lightweight.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Charles and Regina; we have used the following; http://www.petstep.com/for 7 years and were completely satisfied with its durability, ease of use for our 80# Retriever Mix Jackie (who was laid to rest last February). Would highly recommend. Our unit is in storage if you are interested. We are in Kernersville, NC

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Funny you should mention this.....our basset hound was a 75-pounder and I found a pet ramp online that supported 300-pounds(him 75-pound, me 200-pounds) and was of a non-skid material. The ramp also was adjustable for the different camp sites we encountered. Sadly, we lost him this past Feb., but I do have the ramp stored, so I will go look for it and get you the brand tomorrow...as it is 10:00 p.m. here now.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

My Maggie is just 5 mos. old and 25 lbs., and her legs are only 6 inches long!I looked at a bunch of them online, but I think that I would need one 8 ft. long to provide a gentle enough slope that she won't be intimidated.

Maggie Mae (Basset Hound)

2008 Ford F-250 CC 5.4l 3.73

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot

Chazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I now people who use folding ramps for trucks to load heavy stuff in the box. I use my set to load my garden tractor on a tow behind trailer.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

our Shi Pooh has legs about 3.5 to 4 inches long, he is all of 15 lbs and I taught him in about 5 minutes to go up the ramp at the KOA dog park and it was at about a 45 deg angle. As long as they feel secure on it, and it is wide enough (that security feeling) you would be surprised, especially if you are right there beside her for the first few times.

the length is partly why I suggested a ramp from Harbor Freight. plus the sections are wide enough and quite sturdy enough.

I would surmise that part of the reason she has with the steps is that she is so longin relationship to her height. plus she can see through the stairs themselves.

I have to help this guy up the steps

Edited by: drcook

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

This is what I use on the boat, with floats on the outboard endso my dog can get in and out of the water by himself. It is actually designed for uses similar to what you need.

http://www.petstep.com/index.htm

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Okay, finally found the ramp in storage. It is by Solvit. Here is a link on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Telescoping-Lo...908&sr=8-7

The ramp served us well for over 5-years.....

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote