Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2017, 06:41 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Exclamation Please help!!! Breaker issues!

I am having an issue with my ac breaker tripping during the day starting about 9am and not wanting to stay on until about 10 pm then runs all night. It is one of the 30main/20ac double breakers. We have tried all of the cleaning tricks and even changed out the breaker with a new one... Which took me forever to find finally $30 later it still tripped. I have tried making sure nothing is on at the same time but it still trips. We are on 100 amp entergy pole with a main breaker but we did a 30 amp breaker to a pigtail to plug the rig into. It is the only thing running off of the pole.

I have seen a lot of people with this problem saying they moved the ac to its own single pole 20 amp breaker. I have looked everywhere but have found nothing on how to accomplish this. Please correct me if I am wrong. When changing out the double we can see that the 30 amp hot wire has a neutral and ground on the side of the panel where the 20 amp has its neutral on the ground bus at the bottom of the panel. Would I not take the 20 amp hot and just screw it to its own breaker as well as the 30 amp hot and do it to its own breaker and just pop them back in as they already have their respective neutral/grounds in place?

I hope I am typing this all understandably it is early for me and I am not fully awake yet.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...3pvN1ROY1liTXc This is a picture of the breakers in the panel. There are 2 more 15 amp breakers not in the picture. There are also 2 open slots at the end of panel.

I hope someone can help me out it gets extremely hot here in S.E. Texas
Skysnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Have you checked out just how much amperage/voltage you're getting at the pedestal when this is happening? The park you're in might not have enough service to supply everybody when the demand gets high.
If you don't have anything to check it with, this is what I use.
Just plug it into a wall receptacle in your trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Product.../dp/B002P48KLK
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I had this same issue and did what you are proposing. Your basic description of how to do this is correct. You only need to unscrew two common wires (hot) and swap them over to the new single breakers. Make sure power is off/unplugged.

What year/model rig do you have?
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
Gone Traveling

If you are not knowledgeable or comfortable rewiring a breaker DO NOT do it, hire or find someone that knows what they're doing, you could cause a lot of expensive damage or worse, lots of injuries. From what I can get from your picture & description, the only thing on that side of that double 20 breaker should be the air conditioning, the other side could be lights, microwave, water heater, whatever.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Firstly thank you all for your replies I appreciate it.

The pole we are plugged into is our personal pole on private property the rig is the only thing using the electricity.

It is a 2004 Terry travel trailer

Yes the actual breaker set up is... 30 main/20ac 15general/15general 15waterheater/15microwave. And then a bunch of fuses for everything else.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I know it's not a crossroads but was hoping I could still get some help

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I had this same issue and did what you are proposing. Your basic description of how to do this is correct. You only need to unscrew two common wires (hot) and swap them over to the new single breakers. Make sure power is off/unplugged.

What year/model rig do you have?
Yes, Stan is correct. I think we've all had issues with the double breakers and have swapped them out for single pole. This is easy to do----if you have room in the breaker panel for additional breakers.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Yes, Stan is correct. I think we've all had issues with the double breakers and have swapped them out for single pole. This is easy to do----if you have room in the breaker panel for additional breakers.
I do thankfully. I have 2 spots so I can even skip a space between.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #9
Site Team

Then I guess the answer is to get a new 30 amp and 20 amp single pole and swap them out.
If you can't get that done right away, try leaving the door open to the breaker panel and placing a small fan blowing at it to help cool it down.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:19 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Will do thank you Lloyd

Old 08-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #11
Site Team

Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:21 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Sure will

Old 08-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Ok we have changed the breakers however now the a.c. doesn't seem to be wanting to cycle. It has been running for 47 minutes now. I have heard the cycle but the fan continues to run. I had the temp at 74 but just attempted to put it at 90 to see if it would actually complete it's cycle. But it never fully cycle off the fan

Old 08-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

However it could easily be well overt 90 degrees in here as the outside temp is currently 91 and it says the feels like is 105

Old 08-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

I went to check on why it wasn't shutting off... on the outer panel in really small text at the first spot it says "main"... we put the main on the last spot as it was the only breaker with enough hot wire to move that far over. None of the others will move far enough to get out of their places... so does the main HAVE to be in the first space?

Old 08-06-2017, 07:06 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

The main has to be at the top where the larger wires come in as it supplies power to the bar that feeds the other breakers. If you move it and insert a smaller one it will just trip as it is not large enough to run everything you turn on
Old 08-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

I forgot to update it. We put the breakers into the same spots but on separate breakers, so far so good now

Old 08-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysnav View Post
I forgot to update it. We put the breakers into the same spots but on separate breakers, so far so good now

Must have just taken some time to catch up. I'll bet you are a happy camper down there now.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

I sure am at this point, although it is raining so the sun isn't out. Hopefully it stays strong once it does.

Tags
30/20 breaker, ac tripping, breaker tripping, breaker trips